1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the KJVO Movement Dying?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 18, 2024.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. I don't care!

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be great if false KJV-only teaching went away.

I would have plenty to do. I could continue to teach sound, true doctrine concerning the Scriptures.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you! At last someone gets back to the OP. I see several names from the past, but none I would consider a leader. Simply writing a book does not make one a leader.

Question: Would you call any of these authors a leader in the KJVO movement? If so, why? Phil Stringer might be considered a leader, but then he is an old guy, like I've been discussing. If Van Kleek is a leader, it is not of the IFB movement.

I have one book by a young evangelist, Our Blessed Book, by Caleb Garraway. I don't consider him a leader, since his passion is evangelism rather than the KJVO movement.

#122 John of Japan, Jul 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not connected with the OP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not connected with the OP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name these people, please. I only know D. A. Waite and Peter Ruckman who may have written "dozens of books" about the subject.

Connection to the OP?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I said "I know" I meant that I realize there are lots of books on the subject, not that I personally KNOW who they are. You, yourself, posted this.....

7. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At one forum, a KJV-only advocate recommended a new 2018 KJV-only book entitled Text and Time: A Reformed Approach to New Testament Textual Criticism by Edward F. Hills (Author), Mary E. Hills Mueller (Editor). Since Edward F. Hills died back in 1981, I would guess that one of his two earlier books was given a new title and was reprinted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, but not dozens by one author. Just sayin'. :Cool

But I see what you are saying. Your statement did not necessarily mean individuals who wrote dozens of books, though you said "I know people...."

• Like Like x 1
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw that book on a web page and wondered about it.

Personally, I consider Hills to be TR-Only rather than KJVO. What do you think?

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #130 37818, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
  11. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this statement online that indicates that this 2018 book is a reprinting of Hills' book The King James Version Defended.

"Kept Pure Press, in partnership with the family of the late E.F. Hills, has republished “The King James Version Defended” in a legacy edition format."

While Edward F. Hills did not claim perfection for the KJV, he at times may be the source of some KJV-only arguments.
    Edward F. Hills claimed that “only the King James Version can be preached authoritatively and studied believingly” (Believing Bible Study, p. 87). Edward Hills suggested that “these modern versions are much more likely to spread doubt and unbelief” (p. 54) and that they lead young Christians “away from the Bible by introducing them to the logic of unbelief“ (p. 55).

12. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not aware of The King James Research Council. The members of this council appears to be the same men who were speakers for the Dean Burgon Society. Was there a split between the King James Research council and D.A. Waite? If yes, what actually caused the split?

#132 Truth Seeker, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
  13. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

In my Junior and Senior years (’79-’81) at MBBC, I was a member of the campus chapter of the Dean Burgeon Society (led by the late M. James Hollowood). While we had D.O. Fuller and Waite as Chapel speakers. Back then the emphasis was on the superiority of Burgeon’s model of determining the NT text as contrasted to Wescott and Hort’s.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto.

I think some people just like to argue.

I find the current extreme obsession of anti-Calvinists "more strange than the issue itself". Cage Stage Calvinism was once prominent, now it's anti-Calvinism. Perhaps the one prompted the other? Anti-Calvinism a reaction to Cage Stage Calvinism?

Arguing over issues like these may actually be therapeutic for many people, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is obsession an emotion?

16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a member of a KJV only church, let me tell you how this works..

Our church sign says we are KJV only, so there are no surprises for anyone visiting us.

We have a constition for our church and a ststement of faith. These documents detail what we have covenanted together as a local church to promote and preach so our whole congregation can obey the mandate in 1 Corinthians to "speak the same things."

What this means. It means that someone who seeks membership in our local church have agreed with these two documents explaining who we are and what we believe. If after having all this and someone who did not believe as we do on all the issues we deal with in these documents and yet say they do in order to become members, then that is not on us.

If someone wants to meet with us in Christian fellowship yet not as members, they are free to do it and we heartily welcome them and it matters not what translation they come with. However, all our ministries are conducted from the KJV only. These folks who are not members, (and we have some) are not restricted in our communion services. The KJV is not a test of salvation but it is a test with us for ministry and teaching.

Our church has a number of outreach ministries that I participate in such as jail, prison, nursing homes, street, parades, festivals, radio, where we actively seek to preach the gospel so sinners can be saved. We do not have a KJV ministry and I have never heard a KJV sermon in these outreach efforts.

We preach sound doctrine at my church for the edification of the saints. The NT scriptures are the foundation of our church because these are the writings of eye witnesses of Jesus Christ and have been commissioned by him what to write. For KJV only believers there are no such things as "church fathers." Chruch fathers are mostly all frauds and teach false doctrines and deceives the simple.

Matthew 23:8
    8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
    And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Our Lord intended the churches to be local and autonomous. Denomination churches opens up a wide door for many problems. We as an independent church will give account for ourselves only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information.

Yeah, as you have, I've seen KJVO authors quote Hills who did not have a clue as to what Hills believed. Same thing with Burgon.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there was a split. One of my sources told me that the DBS split over Waite's insistence on controlling the society. Now that Waite is in Heaven, I expect the DBS to dissolve.

On Waite's Bible for Today website there is nothing more than an obituary (https://www.biblefortoday.org/), and the DBS website (deanburgonsociety.com) has disappeared, with the address taking you to a blog in its place that has nothing new on it (Dean Burgon Society), just some regurgitated stuff from the original website. Back in the day, the two websites were virtually identical, with a ton of essays, and pages to order their stuff on (books, pamphlets, recorded message, etc.).

#139 John of Japan, Jul 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Truth Seeker

Truth Seeker Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you for your reply. Was "Bible For Today" simply the name of his church and website? Or was that another KJV only organization besides "The Dean Burgon Society". By the way, in case you didn't know. Jack Mooreman also passed away a few years ago. I understand he was also with DBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.