1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the tithe for today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I give to my church every paycheck!

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these (the tithe) ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus said they ought to tithe and to love God and His judgments.

The OT Saints were under the law, and under the law were commanded to give a tithe (10%).

We, the NT Saints are under grace. Grace is always better than law so we should be able to do even better than 10%. Well, if we are right with God and obedient to His word, and keeping our vows and being blessed by Him, that is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, God loves a cheerful giver.

If you are a reluctant Giver, a disgruntled Giver, stressed out Giver, untrusting Giver, remorseful Giver....

Then it's simple. Don't give anything. God doesn't need your money. And neither does the church. God supplies the needs of those who are faithful

And God doesn't want your money, he wants your trust. He wants you to love helping the brethren. He wants you to love participating in the ministry of the gospel to the lost

That's much different than writing a check out of compulsion

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    10% is not an amount, it is a percentage. Based on your comments about buying unnecessary Apple Toys, you can probably afford 10%.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you pay for something with plastic, it is out of your pocket. And if you incur interest charges, you are paying out of your pocket plus.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole thing? You endorse it over, do you?

7. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The practice of tithing is definitely an Old Testament Principle, but I agree, it is not commanded of Christians, as we are not (and never were) under Law.

However, the principle is simple, we see that support for those who ministered in spiritual matters, as well as charitable objectives, carries over into Paul's instruction for the Church:

Romans 15:26-27
    King James Version (KJV)

26 For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.

27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.

"Tithing" is one of the pet peeves I have with most of the Baptist leadership I have been under. It kind of ruins my ability to take seriously those in leadership who err on this point. But, we cannot ignore the fact that even those things which we are not under command to follow, which are found in the Law (and before), still hold principles we adhere to. For example, we still obey the principle of not murdering people, lol. Not stealing. Not lying. But when people are erroneously told they "have to tithe or they are stealing from God," we step away from principle and into erroneous tradition.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually he's right. When your in debt, that money is not yours. Its your debtors.

Do you really think God is honored by you giving somebody else's money? God isn't a Democrat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never heard that in a Baptist church (for the most part, I've been lucky with the Baptist churches I've been involved with), but I sure heard it when I was in the WoF movement.

10. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never been in a Baptist Church, Independent Fundamental, or Southern...that didn't teach tithing and call it tithing.

We are currently visiting around for another fellowship to be a part of, but, I doubt seriously we will find one that does not take the typical Baptist approach to this teaching. The primary grief I have with teaching tithing rather than the Biblical Christian Doctrine of monetary stewardship is that it merges and blends the Law with the New Covenant. It is confusing for people to be told they must tithe and not, even if it is subconscious, create a link between the two differing Economies.

As far as "WoF, that is more a matter of speaking money into the air out of nothing, which, if we think about it, begs the question, "Hey, if you can do this...why are you still asking your congregation for money?"

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay so even those in house loans should not give money to the church?

• Like Like x 1
  12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am in a Baptist Church that does not teach tithing.

13. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This reminded me of the song leader who led "Free from the law, oh happy condition" and then for his next selection followed it up with "Bring ye all the tithes in to the storehouse!" :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should read "When you're in debt"

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came from a Baptist Church that did not teach tithing... My Dad I considered a godly man and at the time he was raising four children... He would give to the church as he was able, but what stood out more in my eyes to this day is not the money at times he was able to give. What stood out the most was that he gave himself in service to the church and its members... To me to this day what the scripture says The Lord loveth a cheerful giver is not only what you give in a monetary sense but how we help each other in our time of need... Like Jesus said: Do as I have done unto you or as the old axiom goes WWJD!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said you have to give less?

HankD

17. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is like the rest of The Law, a schoolmaster. It tells us that if we are operating in the fulfillment of The Law properly, our new covenant cheerful giving will at the absolute least meet the mandated tax of the old covenant.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Luke 11 Jesus tells the Pharisees that they should have tithed without overlooking justice and the love of God. The tithe existed prior to the Law (if you’ll remember, Abraham tithed), but even this is fulfilled in Jesus Christ. The tithe is a shadow of what it is to be a Christian, giving all to God in faith. I don’t mean giving everything away (although this could be the case) but being stewards of God’s resources. It’s not about what you can “afford”, but about sacrificial giving and living in submission to and reliance upon God.

God will never give you the resources or talents that will lead to your independence of Him.

19. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right on !!

As my pastor says..."if God's blessings lead you away from God, you'd better take another look to see who blessed you"

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take another look at God (who you did say held the blessings)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.