Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
The Jonah narrative says nothing about Jonah dying, or coming back to life, where the whale/big fish is mentioned. Hence, I'd conclude that Jonah did not die.
"Out of the belly of hell (the grave) cried I, and you heard my voice."
Chapter two verse two could give the impression that Jonah actually died in the great fish's belly: "Out of the belly of hell (the grave) cried I, and you heard my voice." There is only one way to go to either hell or the grave and that is through death.
It is not something I would get worked up over, but death has been an understanding by some.
Cheers,
Jim
I have never heard anyone espound on that either. Maybe he is using the comparison that; "As Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights, so must the Son be in the heart of the Earth for three days and three nights. Jesus was dead at that time but the Bible is silent as far as I know about Jonah as a comparison to Jesus Christ being dead."
This does not necessitate an actual death. The word Sheol is also often used to describe a state of dread or feeling as if you could die. Psalm 116:3 says, "The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of Sheol got hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow." Also, "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest Sheol.( Psalm 86:13 )" David wasn't actually dead before he wrote this psalm.Chapter two verse two could give the impression that Jonah actually died in the great fish's belly: "Out of the belly of hell (the grave) cried I, and you heard my voice."
Chapter two verse two could give the impression that Jonah actually died in the great fish's belly: "Out of the belly of hell (the grave) cried I, and you heard my voice." There is only one way to go to either hell or the grave and that is through death.
It is not something I would get worked up over, but death has been an understanding by some.
Put me in the group that believes that Jonah died.Chapter two verse two could give the impression that Jonah actually died in the great fish's belly: "Out of the belly of hell (the grave) cried I, and you heard my voice." There is only one way to go to either hell or the grave and that is through death.
It is not something I would get worked up over, but death has been an understanding by some.
Cheers,
Jim
Note the bolded words and the 'time-line,' as it were.15 So they picked up Jonah and threw him into the sea, and the sea ceased from its raging. 16 Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice to the LORD and took vows.Jonah’s Prayer and Deliverance
17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.Jonah 2
1 Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the fish’s belly. 2 And he said:
“ I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction,
And He answered me.
“ Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
And You heard my voice.
3 For You cast me into the deep,
Into the heart of the seas,
And the floods surrounded me;
All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight;
Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5 The waters surrounded me, even to my soul;
The deep closed around me;
Weeds were wrapped around my head.
6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains;
The earth with its bars closed behind me forever;
Yet You have brought up my life from the pit,
O LORD, my God.
7 “ When my soul fainted within me,
I remembered the LORD;
And my prayer went up to You,
Into Your holy temple.
8 “ Those who regard worthless idols
Forsake their own Mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay what I have vowed.
Salvation is of the LORD.”
10 So the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (Jon. 1:15-2:10 - NKJV)
Again, much as Jim1999 said, I am not going to get very 'worked up' if someone does not agree, but this is what I believe the Scripture teaches.(a) Being now swallowed up by death, and seeing no remedy to escape, his faith broke out to the Lord, knowing that out of this very hell he was able to deliver him.
I agree. This is a religious liberty issue, nothing worthy of anyone getting worked up over. My frustration is that when someone says "Maybe Jesus didn't actually die either!", that doesn't bode well for granting religious liberty and not getting worked up over it.Again, much as Jim1999 said, I am not going to get very 'worked up' if someone does not agree
Permit me to divert for a brief moment from the OP, because it reminded me of a monolog by Mike Warnke a few years ago. I paraphrase:
Imagine you're a Ninevite fisherman standing on the lake shore, casting your net out into the water (or maybe your rod and reel) You look up and see a man off in the distance, walking toward you. As he gets closer, you notice that his clothing is in rags, he is covered in seaweed, his skin is white, as if bleached by digestive juices, and his eyes bugged out as if he had been thorough a horrible trauma.
He walks up to the Ninevite fisherman and says in a hoarse voice "Repent!!!"
Wouldn't you?