franklinmonroe
Active Member
Jerome said:Geoffrey Chaucer
Canterbury Tales
Men may the olde at-renne, and noght at-rede.
Men may outrun the old, but not outwit them.
Jerome, which of the tales is this citation from? I cannot find it. Thanks
Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Jerome said:Geoffrey Chaucer
Canterbury Tales
Men may the olde at-renne, and noght at-rede.
Men may outrun the old, but not outwit them.
Thanks, Rob. Here are those lines (Note: there is no dash after "at" within the words atrenne and atrede in several sources I reviewed)--Deacon said:The Knight's Tale...line 1590
The online Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) gives the definition of atrede as "to surpass in council". So, while outwit may be an acceptable translation of the archaic English term, the "at" portion does not need to expressly, or literally, mean "out". And again, this is poetry about 200 years before the KJV.In elde is bothe wysdom and usage;
Men may the olde atrenne, and noght atrede.
Saturne anon, to stynten strif and drede,
Al be it that it is agayn his kynde,
Of al this strif he gan remedie fynde.
(I was not the only one misled by your use of commonly).Jerome said:By commonly I mean frequently (in the available records).
I somewhat agree, and I don't mean to imply, or even give the impression, that the KJV is wrong for having "at". It seems that Daniel Mace's 1729 translation has "strain for a gnat", which could also be acceptable to me. There is no preposition in the Greek, it is supplied by the translator. Obviously, it bothers me that some insist upon "at" being right (to the exclusion of all others).C4K said:Speaking of straining at a gnat, that appears to be what this thread is doing, IMHO. Making a mountain out of a molehill - jousting at a windmill.
franklinmonroe said:OK, so you believe that "at" was frequently substituted for "out". So far, there is no evidence for this assertion.
Nothing was said about substitution or out.Jerome said:[Strain at] was commonly used in the decades preceding the translation of the KJV:
Jerome said:No I wrote:
Strain at was commonly used in the decades preceding the translation of the KJV:
Nothing was said about substitution or out.
You could have objected yesterday (in your posts #12, or #13) or this morning (#16), if you thought "at" without "strain" would be an issue that would affect understanding.franklinmonroe said:If the implication is that "at" was commonly used for "out",...
franklinmonroe said:Your original post was somewhat ambiguous... so, "Strain at was commonly used" to mean what? Do you mean that "strain at" was used for "strain out"? Please tell us exactly what you intended to assert in your first post.
Jerome, you have posted three times since I wrote "If..." in #10--
You could have objected yesterday (in your posts #12, or #13) or this morning (#16), if you thought "at" without "strain" would be an issue that would affect understanding.
It certainly appears that there was a consensus during this era that the rendering of "at" was a proper one.
AntennaFarmer said:The anti-KJV crowd will believe any thing negative about the AV.
Jerome said:Post #3 answers the post immediately above it that went on and on about a misprint. I provided citations of the use of at with strain in the same context in the years immediately preceding the translation, which suggests that its presence could be intentional and not a misprint. I did not comment about the phrase's meaning.
Jerome said:Geoffrey Chaucer
Canterbury Tales
Men may the olde at-renne, and noght at-rede.
Men may outrun the old, but not outwit them.
This is most interesting.Jerome said:E. Cobham Brewer
Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1898)
"Strain at a gnat and swallow a camel... Our expression “strain at” is a corruption of strain-ut, “ut” being the Saxon form of out, retained in the words ut-most, utter, uttermost, etc."
Also, the same dictionary had just two definitions for "uttermost"-adj.Middle English utteren, partly from Middle Low German uteren (from uter, outer, comparative of ut, out) and alteration (influenced by utter, outer) of Middle English outen, to disclose (from out, out; see out).
It would seem that "at" may be an allowable translation in some archaic sense of "out".:applause:Middle English, from Old English utmest : ut, out + -mest, -most
kubel said:(KJV) ...But I have heard a rather good argument that the well known error "strain at a gnat" in the AV could in fact be correct archaic English rather than a translation or typographical error...
I am not anti-KJV; but I agree that "out" is better understood by today's English reader than archaic "at". Even though "strain at" means the same as "strain out", it exemplifies a problem with older translations. Most readers would not turn to a dictionary for the word "at"; the notes on its archine meaning were quite obscure (it did not even appear in Middle English glossaries).Jerome said:Strain out, unlike strain at, is unambiguous in meaning "filter" rather than "exert" or "squint" and thus seems preferable here.
franklinmonroe said:Jerome, I am curious that if you did not intend to promote the idea that archaically "at" meant "out", for what purpose then did you offer this post?