Craigbythesea
Well-Known Member
Perhaps you were not listening!I never heard the gospel once in the Catholic Church.
Perhaps you missed all the Sermons on being born-again!
Perhaps you went to a lousy Catholic Church!
Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Perhaps you were not listening!I never heard the gospel once in the Catholic Church.
These are two very different things.But the Catholic doctrine of being born again is to be baptized. . . . You are born again through the sacrament of Baptism.
Saying that a German shepherd is a dog is not like saying that cats are dogs!That is like saying a good J.W. is a good Christian. Or, a good Moonie is a good Christian.
I draw the line the same place that the Bible draws the line. You have painted over the line and painted a new one in the wrong place!Where do you draw the line?
John 7Must salvation include correct doctrine?
Scripture says salvation is contingent upon no work. If salvation is contingent upon adherence to corect doctrine, then we're all hellbound, because we're all probably guilty of at least one faulty doctrine or another. Thankfully, Jesus, grace is much more abundant than doctrine.Originally posted by Russ Kelly:
I am frankly appalled at those in the 7th Day ADventist thread who seem to think that correct doctrine is essential for salvation.
But it is not more abundant than doctrine; that is false theology. His grace is contingent upon doctrine. What is grace? Basically it is undeserved merit. However one person put it into an anacronym like this:Originally posted by Johnv:
Thankfully, Jesus, grace is much more abundant than doctrine.
No, I did not.When I said that I had graduated from an SDA college and pastored for 10 years, you said that I was wrong and totally unimformed!!!
No, I am not doing that.Now you tell DHK and Charles Meadows the same thing about their long=time first-hand experience as Roman Catholics!!!
People have told me that I would make a good attorney. However, I do not believe that “everything odd” can be found in SDA and Roman Catholic theology.Frankly, I think that your house full of books has made you very confused and you have appointed yourself as the public defender of everything odd.
Very many Catholics, former and present, know very little about the theology of their church because they have never studied it. Indeed, I would dare to say that most Catholics have never read more than two or three catechisms. I have read VERY much more than that, and I have spent more time is dialog with former and present Catholic priests discussing the theology of the Roman Catholic Church than most Catholics do in a lifetime. Do you know more about Catholic theology than I do? Who are you to judge me?Experience is believing!
Living "it" is believing!!
Touching it day to day is believing!!
Books alone do not make one an authority!
Your second hand testimony would never stand up in a court of law!
No, I did not!When I asked you to give a short summary of what you believed was the truth, you refused.
I do not regard the Bible as being “cute nonsense.”When asked where do you draw the line, you answered with a cute nonsense remark.
You don’t know me at all.You are the strangest "conservative Baptist" I have ever encountered.
You yourself wrote about me, “You have appointed yourself as the public defender of everything odd.” I am against bigotry, arrogance, self-righteousness and other such sins. I am for fairness, humility, righteousness by grace through faith, and other things that are pleasing to our Savior.You only seem to want to argue against everybody else's opinion.
And therein is your problem: "Who are you to judge me?" Shall we as the corollary: "Who are you to judge us."Originally posted by Craigbythesea:
Very many Catholics, former and present, know very little about the theology of their church because they have never studied it. Indeed, I would dare to say that most Catholics have never read more than two or three catechisms. I have read VERY much more than that, and I have spent more time is dialog with former and present Catholic priests discussing the theology of the Roman Catholic Church than most Catholics do in a lifetime. Do you know more about Catholic theology than I do? Who are you to judge me?
Probably.Do you know more about Catholic theology than I do?
What have I said in judgment against you? I have spoken here only about Catholics in general, and I did not judge them and pronounce them sinners damned to hell as you have done, but I have defended them with the sole exception of the lack of Biblical and theological knowledge on the part of many of them.And therein is your problem: "Who are you to judge me?" Shall we as the corollary: "Who are you to judge us."
Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
You know only what we have revealed to you of our backgrounds, education, etc., but you don't know everything. You are the one that in much haste are quick to make rash judgements, without having the proper knowledge of the subject that you are dealing with.
In the one and only area in which I have “judged” Catholics, you are in total agreement with my observation.It is true that the average Catholic doesn't know neither their Catechism nor theology very well.
The comments that I made about theses posters were based solely upon your comments about them. I suppose that I should have known better than to take your word for it, and for that I apologize.Well what do you think? When the Catholics were permitted to post in the Other Religions forum (up until last year), do you think it was the "average Catholic" that posted there? No. Those that posted there were the cream of the crop, so to speak. They were the apologists for the Catholic Church, the recruiters. One of them was a seminarian studying under Scott Hahnn (sp?).
You seem to have judged people even before you have posted.
Russ,Experience is believing!
Living "it" is believing!!
Touching it day to day is believing!!
Books alone do not make one an authority!
I believe that there is a little more to it than that.Originally posted by HisMercy:
The salvation of mankind is based on His mercy and His will.
Certainly, I agree that adherence to the doctrine of salvation is critical to salvation. However, for all doctrine to be just as ctitical to salvation is where I would disagree. For example, there are several folks on the board who adhere to the false doctrine of single-translation-onlyism. Does that mean they're not saved, because they're adhering to incorrect doctrine? No, they're as saved as I. Same for those who adhere to headcoverings as doctrinal, etc. We, for example, adere doctrinally to immersion only. What if we're wrong? Are we barred from salvation? Of course not.Originally posted by DHK:
But it [grace] is not more abundant than doctrine; that is false theology. His grace is contingent upon doctrine... Grace is contingent upon the doctrine of salvation.
Certainly, I agree that adherence to the doctrine of salvation is critical to salvation. However, for all doctrine to be just as ctitical to salvation is where I would disagree. For example, there are several folks on the board who adhere to the false doctrine of single-translation-onlyism. Does that mean they're not saved, because they're adhering to incorrect doctrine? No, they're as saved as I. Same for those who adhere to headcoverings as doctrinal, etc. We, for example, adere doctrinally to immersion only. What if we're wrong? Are we barred from salvation? Of course not. </font>[/QUOTE]Amen!Originally posted by Johnv:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DHK:
But it [grace] is not more abundant than doctrine; that is false theology. His grace is contingent upon doctrine... Grace is contingent upon the doctrine of salvation.
You have got that right. Too bad that the Catholics have no idea what the doctrine of salvation is. They believe in baptismal regeneration. That is not the doctrine of salvation. They believe that Mary is a mediatrix. That is not salvation. They believe that purgatory is a place where one suffers for their sins. That is not salvation. Shall I continue??Adherence to the doctrine of salvation is critical