• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prominence of Calvinists in History

Luke2427

Active Member
Does this mean anything to you?

The great evangelists have tended to be Calvinistic. With the exception of Moody, Finney, and Wesley, I cannot think of any Arminian evangelists of real renown. One might argue that Billy Graham was an Arminian, and I suppose he was a two pointer most of his life, but he just admitted recently that he never had time to read the Bible like he needed and sat down and read it through in two months and became a 5-point Calvinist.

It seems to me that almost all other major names in truly Christian history of renown were Calvinists.

Spurgeon, the father of the mega church, was a thorough Calvinist.

William Carey, the great Baptist missionary, was a Calvinist.

Lottie Moon, the woman whose name labels Southern Baptist International Missions, was herself a Calvinist.

Jonathan Edwards, the most brilliant theological and philosophical mind in American history and the fountainhead of the Great Awakening was a mighty Calvinist,

George Whitefield the spreader of the Great Awakening fire throughout the colonies was a Calvinist,

the Pilgrims, though perhaps not evangelists, certainly the bringers of the Gospel to this Continent, were Calvinists,

the Puritans were Calvinists,

Matthew Henry, the mighty Commentator whose commentary has touched the lives of multiplied millions was a Calvinist,

John Bunyan whose Pilgrim's Progress has convinced many to enter the Kingdom was a Calvinist,

of course Luther, the father of the Protestant Reformation which may be responsible for bringing more people into the Kingdom of God than any other event since Pentecost, was a Calvinist,

John Wycliffe, the 'Morning Star of the Reformation', was a Calvinist,

John Huss, the great martyr for the faith, was a Calvinist,

Augustine was a Calvinist,

the Apostle Paul was a Calvinist, and the list goes on and on...

Even if you are not a Calvinist, are you not impressed by the magnitude of this list?
 

menageriekeeper

Active Member
:D

Mat 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

While I am sure I could come up with an equally fine list of non Cals, it would be a waste of my time. How many times did Christ say that the leaders of Isreal had the form of the Law down but lacked the spirit? How long and how many prominant Jewish scholars and priests did He apply that too?

Men can be and often are wrong. I'd much rather stand before God on the last day and say "I tried to follow your words" rather than "But God, I followed what I was told by men."

In the end it only matters what we as individuals have done with God has given us. I look forward from that perspective, not backwards from the perspective of what others have done. It won't matter at my judgement what decisions others have made, only the decisions that *I* have made.
 

Steven2006

New Member
I agree.


I'm really tired of having Calvinism shoved down my throat.

While I am sure this is not the actual case. Lately it does come across as if some here are more enthused about Calvin/Calvinism than Christ.


PS. In regard to the OP. Why make a point to place a quote and not supply the source of the quote? Who said this, in what context in the first place?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lately it does come across as if some here are more enthused about Calvin/Calvinism than Christ.


PS. In regard to the OP. Why make a point to place a quote and not supply the source of the quote? Who said this, in what context in the first place?

Amen, I said my peace in a thread that I started earlier today.
 

preacher4truth

Active Member
Using the "traditions of man" verse is proof-texting and out of context.

God gave us teachers to teach us, implying that we can learn from such.

It is obvious on many threads here that many in the church have great disdain for this office, ascribe these teachers as "often wrong" while they condemn themselves as being often wrong, also.

:wavey:

Yes. We should exalt Christ, not Calvin.

Our "JC" should be Jesus Christ, not John Calvin. I'm sure someone on here can prove by a long dissertation that my thinking this way is plain wrong.

:thumbs:
 
Using the "traditions of man" verse is proof-texting and out of context.

God gave us teachers to teach us, implying that we can learn from such.

It is obvious on many threads here that many in the church have great disdain for this office, ascribe these teachers as "often wrong" while they condemn themselves as being often wrong, also.

:wavey:

Yes. We should exalt Christ, not Calvin.

Our "JC" should be Jesus Christ, not John Calvin. I'm sure someone on here can prove by a long dissertation that my thinking this way is plain wrong.

:thumbs:

Good post.... In another thread it was implied that I had discounted the gift of teaching I didn't, I have had some wonderful teachers and fathers in the Gospel.

I love the quote about our "JC" I may just take that and use it. LOL
 

preacher4truth

Active Member
Good post.... In another thread it was implied that I had discounted the gift of teaching I didn't, I have had some wonderful teachers and fathers in the Gospel.

I love the quote about our "JC" I may just take that and use it. LOL

LOL!!! No charge for doing so.

I believe in Calvinist teachings, but, they don't control me. I know I know, some will go off to the extent of how much of them I believe, like they know me.

The church needs to get off of this false premise that we don't need teachers, and/or to the belittling of their place within the church, and that Scripture is so simplistic, which actually is what the World says about God's answer to the worlds problem, condeming the church in doing so as irrelevant (some on here help to facilitate this notion about the church) and the church needs to lose this attitude towards those He has placed within the church, for their edification, and maturing, as in Eph 4:11 and following.

This attitude dishonors Gods purpose in the church and looks lightly upon His Sovereignty in it. It also lends itself to those mocking the church. If you are being persecuted for being ignorant, that's not being persecuted right. :)

Perhaps a look in Matthew 5 will show us proper interpretation of proper persecution? To be persecuted for being ignorant, and for being against learning, or even nearly against it is shameful at the very least.

How many have claimed to their fame a disdain for teachers, claim they don't need them, and then lay claim to only Bible, and on many posts twist and wrest Scriptures?

"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." 2 Peter 3:16




I think we should humble ourselves and allow others to do their God given ministry.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
While I am sure this is not the actual case. Lately it does come across as if some here are more enthused about Calvin/Calvinism than Christ.


PS. In regard to the OP. Why make a point to place a quote and not supply the source of the quote? Who said this, in what context in the first place?

It is MY quote from a previous thread.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
While I am sure this is not the actual case. Lately it does come across as if some here are more enthused about Calvin/Calvinism than Christ.


PS. In regard to the OP. Why make a point to place a quote and not supply the source of the quote? Who said this, in what context in the first place?

It think that is one of the most horrible things I have ever read on baptistboard.

The funny thing about Calvinism is that it only exists to offer the highest possible view of God. It is the most Christ centered system of all time.

The list of the greats who preached Christ with awesome success proves this.
 

luke1616

New Member
All the valleys made high, and the mountains made low. God gives the increase. The greatest prophet doubted for a time. Calvin is nothing, Graham is nothing, Christ is everything, keep your eyes on Him. This is so fundamental.:love2:
 

abcgrad94

Active Member
It think that is one of the most horrible things I have ever read on baptistboard.

The funny thing about Calvinism is that it only exists to offer the highest possible view of God. It is the most Christ centered system of all time.

The list of the greats who preached Christ with awesome success proves this.
I do not wish to sound unkind, Luke, but your CONSTANT, lengthy posts about Calvinism are getting old. Very, very old. I'm sure by now everyone here is crystal clear on your stance on that issue. You'd help us all here if you'd do a couple of things:
1. Stop the VERY lengthy posts. Use small bytes of info instead of inundating us with half a history book in each post. People do not want to read a novel here. Same when you hit the "quote" and quote big, lengthy posts. Just "quote" a tiny portion and get on with it. The excessive quotes are a pain to go through and just take up extra space.

2. Stop shoving Calvinism at every. single. thread. Brother, you're beating a dead horse here. Find some other topics PLEASE. Then maybe those of us who are not Calvinists will actually want to listen to what you have to say.
 

luke1616

New Member
I do not wish to sound unkind, Luke, but your CONSTANT, lengthy posts about Calvinism are getting old. Very, very old. I'm sure by now everyone here is crystal clear on your stance on that issue. You'd help us all here if you'd do a couple of things:
1. Stop the VERY lengthy posts. Use small bytes of info instead of inundating us with half a history book in each post. People do not want to read a novel here. Same when you hit the "quote" and quote big, lengthy posts. Just "quote" a tiny portion and get on with it. The excessive quotes are a pain to go through and just take up extra space.

2. Stop shoving Calvinism at every. single. thread. Brother, you're beating a dead horse here. Find some other topics PLEASE. Then maybe those of us who are not Calvinists will actually want to listen to what you have to say.
Guess who might putting Calvin above someone else?:BangHead:
 

GBC Pastor

New Member
A.W Tozer
Andrew Murray
John Wesley
R.A Torrey
David Pawson
Leonard Ravenhill
David Wilkerson
Billy Graham
C.S. Lewis
Adrian Rogers
H A Ironside
E.M. Bounds
John Rice
DL Moody


I'm pretty impressed with this list as well. Is it ok if I count the Apostle Paul too? Since we would probably disagree about what he was in fact teaching?
 

Luke2427

Active Member
All the valleys made high, and the mountains made low. God gives the increase. The greatest prophet doubted for a time. Calvin is nothing, Graham is nothing, Christ is everything, keep your eyes on Him. This is so fundamental.:love2:

This is like the guys in Corinthians who said, "I am of Jesus." They were just as carnal as the ones who said they were of Paul and theo ones who said they were of Apollos.

It is not spiritual or christocentric to demand we not use any other man's name than Christ.

It is certainly not spiritual to insinuate that a brother in Christ exalts a man on equal footing with the Lord of Glory.

But it does make those non-cals feel good to accuse a Cal of being man centered.

I preach Christ and him crucifed and risen from the dead three times a week 52 weeks a year.

Our church is VERY Christ centered.

But we appreciate Calvin for showing us the need to be.

In an age where Popes and priests were exalted, Luther and Calvin came along with SOLA CHRISTUS!- Christ alone.

They are the ones who brought us BACK to Christ.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
A.W Tozer
Andrew Murray
John Wesley
R.A Torrey
David Pawson
Leonard Ravenhill
David Wilkerson
Billy Graham
C.S. Lewis
Adrian Rogers
H A Ironside
E.M. Bounds
John Rice
DL Moody


I'm pretty impressed with this list as well. Is it ok if I count the Apostle Paul too? Since we would probably disagree about what he was in fact teaching?

Murray, Wesley, Torrey, Ravenhill, Lewis, Rodgers, Bounds and Moody were truly great men.

A couple of things:

Most of these guys are not much more than a century old. Not much history.

Wesley and Murray are the exceptions.

Secondly, Billy Graham is now a Calvinist. He admitted that his crusade work kept him for years from reading the Scriptures the way he should. A few years ago he determined to read the Bible through in a year. He enjoyed it so much that he read it through in two months. By the end of it he converted to Calvinism.

Thirdly, it is still a great deal smaller list than can be given for Calvinism.

Fourthly, with the exception of Wesley, whom I greatly admire, as great as these men you listed were, few of them can be considered to be the caliber of men Edwards, Spurgeon, Luther, Wycliff, Augustine and others must be considered.

That is not to say that your list is not a great list for non- cals. It is. Most of them were AWESOME servants of God.

Few, however, on your list, were burned at the stake or fathered the first mega church in world history or were the greatest theological minds in American history or started the Reformation or sparked the Great Awakening or fathered modern missions.

These were a few of the accomplishments of those on the list I provided.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
I do not wish to sound unkind, Luke, but your CONSTANT, lengthy posts about Calvinism are getting old. Very, very old. I'm sure by now everyone here is crystal clear on your stance on that issue. You'd help us all here if you'd do a couple of things:
1. Stop the VERY lengthy posts. Use small bytes of info instead of inundating us with half a history book in each post. People do not want to read a novel here. Same when you hit the "quote" and quote big, lengthy posts. Just "quote" a tiny portion and get on with it. The excessive quotes are a pain to go through and just take up extra space.

2. Stop shoving Calvinism at every. single. thread. Brother, you're beating a dead horse here. Find some other topics PLEASE. Then maybe those of us who are not Calvinists will actually want to listen to what you have to say.

Your complaint is noted. I would like to point out that no one is forced to respond to these threads. Do you not have a free will whereby you can exercise choice NOT to attend?
 
Top