1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Real Reasons to Use the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by 37818, Oct 5, 2023.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad to say, typically KJVonlyists and anti-KJVer's do not correctly understand original autograph inerrancy.
    And the author of this video has it wrong too.
    Video: Inspiration: The Original Autographs Only? ā€“ AV1611 Blog

#41 37818, Oct 8, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  2. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    15561498954441502536381.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the main uses of of italic words in Bibles are to show words added by the translator(s). Or as words in [] brakets.

2 Timothy 3:15-17, ". . . And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. . . ."

The whole issue of having correct copies Bible manuscripts are having the actual God breathed words from autographes.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not anti-King James Bible. It is what I was raised on. It was all there was back in the day.

If people want to read it as their only or primary source - then hurray for them. Read it in peace.

I just don't like when Christians claim it as superior to all other Bibles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. And I have reprints of 1611 KJV. Both the Zondervan and Thomas Neslson editions.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do I. Quote what I said.

Real Reasons to Use the KJV

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An at issue, the correct reading for Luke 4:4, ". . . And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. . . ."

And .a lot more

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would someone do that?

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that you personally claimed it was superior. I said Christians.

We are not going to agree. I'm bowing out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please accept my apology.

Not agreeing is a reason to discuss the subject.

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No apology needed. Yes, not agreeing can be a reason for discussion.

I just get burnt out on this topic easily.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It takes only a little practice to read the original Bibles in English. William Tyndale's Bibles. Miles Coverdale's Versions. The Great Bible, many Geneva Bibles, Matthews Bible. These are still some of the best Bibles in English on this planet. Why would someone not read the original Bibles in English? Everyone should know how to read an English Bible. It's not hard. It's actual easy.

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are calling these Bibles the "original Engish bibles." You can't call them that.

1. English did not begin with Coverdale and Tyndale and King James. English began a LONG time ago. The first English is obviously called Old English. That was spoken until about 1066 when the Normans invaded and English changed. Language is always changing. Then what we call Middle English appeared and stayed until about the 1400's to 1500's.

2. The first COMPLETE Bible in English was Wycliffe's in the late 1300's. By the time Coverdale, Tyndale, and the King James came along - people were not reading, writing, or speaking Middle English. The Bibles you speak of are Early Modern English. Spellings, pronunciations, and speaking changed. That and the printing press putting more Bibles into the hands of people sparking changes - English changed again.

3. If you want to struggle through the font and spellings of the 1611, then have at it. You say it takes practice. If that's what you want, no skin off of my back - BUT

4......PLEASE don't say that these are the BEST Bibles in English on the planet. If you like them and the struggle isn't difficult for you - then read away to your heart's delight. I choose others to read. But I don't call them the BEST. Just best for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible translations into English - Wikipedia

Of the whole Bible in English from the Latin:

"Theologian John Wycliffe (c. 1320sā€“1384) is credited with translating what is now known as Wycliffe's Bible, though it is not clear how much of the translation he himself did.[8] This translation came out in two different versions. The earlier text is characterised by a strong adherence to the word order of Latin, and might have been difficult for the layperson to comprehend. The later text made more concessions to the native grammar of English."

Examples of any Bible in English, before Wycliffe, are not typically available.

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wycliffe 1382 from Latin.

From the Greek - TR
    Tyndale 1534 - New Testament, some Old Testament.
    Coverdale 1535
    Matthew 1537
    Great Bible 1539
    Geneva 1560
    Bishops 1568
    KJV 1611

W&H 1881. The change in our New Testament text.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was to be a restoration of the New Testament text.

19. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Original Early English Bibles then. William Tyndale was the very first, to both translate from The original Greek and original Hebrew. Everyone before him translated from The Latin Vulgate.
    True! Thank you!
    It only takes a little practice. The only reason we think its hard is because we are not used to it. But 3 20 minute practice sessions is all it takes.
    I did mean to say I think they are still among the very best. Even the ESV goes back to Tyndale. But there is some evidence that suggests these Bibles have justified use today, because of their high degree of accuracy. Not perfect Bibles. They all have flaws in Text and Translations. But none the less still highly accurate. And contain the correct readings many times when newer Versions have missed something because of Eye skip.

20. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It introduced many more errors than it fixed. Although the W&H Text improved a few readings, they also chose many more times errors, making their New Testament the most inaccurate.

• Agree Agree x 1