1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Saving Faith a gift? Part Deux

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SovereignGrace, Nov 20, 2021.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If faith (belief) bring eternal life, and belief (faith) is the gift of God brought be hearing the Word, then what is the determining factor that is missing?

It seems the parable of the sower and seed as well as one of the responsibilities of angels (Hebrews 1:14) would bring resolution, would it not?

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    same answser as in #26

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not concerned with Matthew and Acts, but how it is presented in the two places I mentioned.

Perhaps you can restate those two places in a manner that conformed to your thinking, but would it not present God as reactionary as opposed to author and perfector?

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, only interested in those passages that agree with your theology :Geek

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even to this day the unsaved have the concept of doing to get. Such was not untaught by the OT religious rulers but even carried into the church of this day by those who require some human action to gain rather than human action as the result of God’s working.

It is very logical for Peter to have used the terms repent, baptized, believe, for that was also the message of John the Baptist.

However, because Acts is a transitional book expressing the earliest beginnings of the church, Peter would use terms in that sermon that would be audience appropriate, but not necessarily for that Jewish based audience appropriate in this day to the modern gentile audience.

The typical heathen of this day has little understanding of words such as repentance and baptized for the remission of sins….

I am not stating a disagreement that such things should not be taught, but that the expectation of the response should be modified to fit the experienced learning of the audience.

I think perhaps Philip had a bit of this thinking when he ran along side the chariot. He didn’t call for repentance, but looked for the action as the result of God’s Word working.

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 26:20
    But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but neither am I willing to depart from the truth of those passages.

There are places that God looks upon the person and confirms that person’s attitude. But that is not reactionary, rather that is proactive to produce the result’s He desires.

Is there recognition in the difference between a God that reacts compared to a God that is proactive?

8. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me know when you want to discuss Jesus and Paul on the passage from Isaiah. No point in running from it

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that you recognize the saturation of the home turf before moving to other fields.

Again, I am not stating repentance is not important, but that repentance may come in a different format.

Recall the Jailor? “What must I do to be saved?” The actions of bounding into the cell area, and the attitude of desperation were enough for the evangelist to use “believe …”.

There are times when folks need to hear “repent and be baptized…” and others were is is obvious such words are not necessary.

What do you consider the words, “…do works meet for repentance,” mean?

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven’t run from anything.

Have I not been asking questions and responding to your answers, sometimes with more questions?

Can you state that John and Paul used words that would conform the Scriptures to your thinking?

As I already pointed to them, did they not both make the statements in the context of God being proactive rather than reactive?

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is repentance to you?

12. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to ignore what Acts tells us.
    Acts 2:37-39
    Peter’s words pierced their hearts, and they said to him and to the other apostles, “Brothers, what should we do?” Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is to you, and to your children, and even to the Gentiles—all who have been called by the Lord our God.”

Do you not see the work of God, before repentance, in this passage? Moreso, do you not see that God is fully doing the work...and Peter is telling you that it's all God. ("all who have been called by the Lord our God.")

Notice what the writer says about God's piercing word.
    Hebrews 4:12-13
    For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.

sbg, your hatred for a phantom you have created, which you label "Reformed" is blinding you to scripture and to your own, self imposed legalism, which you think is the gospel. If I were the only one correcting you, you could argue a draw, but even some who are free-will Arminians have opposed your view. You are on an island of your own and you refuse all who come along and offer you transport off your island.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
    17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
    19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by [them that are] no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.
    20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me."
    ( Romans 10:16-20 ).

Look at it a little closer, Willis...
    Does it not say that faith is by hearing, but hearing is by the word of God?

1) Faith comes by hearing.
    2) Hearing comes by the word of God.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the human perspective it requires a change of mind and direction. Typically, it results in one expressing regret, however, expressing verbally is not always noticed, for the Scripture also indicates that physical action such as beating one self, falling down in submission, … can also serve as indications of repentance.

However, when repentance is used by God as in the passage, “…repented that He made man…” the idea is not of regret but of pity towards those about to suffer the consequences of their rebellion.

It must be noted that Paul mentioned the differences between Godly repentance and worldly feeling sorry for their self.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is my long winded answer: Yes it is a gift. I don't have enough faith that my car can make it to the city and back, how then could I possibly conjure up within myself trust in one I haven't seen to save me from eternal damnation apart from being given said faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without faith no one knows anything. So everyone has faith of some kind.

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Except those who hold to free will grace will come back with all have that option to get that faith or to reject it when Gospel heard!

18. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show us in scripture that all humanity is given innate faith at conception. I am interested in the passages of scripture you choose. (Remember that quoting a verse out of context will disqualify that verse regarding your claim. Read the passage and then choose wisely.)

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the laws of nature as they are displayed. Romans 10:17-18, ". . . So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. . . ." Psalms 19:4, ". . . Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. . . ."

Furthermore no one knows one's own experliences except one believes one's own experiences. Not even you.

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Fits the understanding that non cals have that all still have a degree of free will to save themselves!