Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
I don't know. There would be other more important factors such as your ecclesiastical separation, separation from worldly behavior, etc. I don't know enough about you to answer accurately. I am defending separation over this issue as an argument but not necessarily a personal conviction or action. My whole point is that we cannot define another's standard of separation. You may want to separate from me. That's okay if it is your conviction. I'm not offended. The usual MO is outrage: "How dare you separate from me; I'm as holy as you are!" Consider II Corinthians 5:10.Originally posted by paul hadik:
paidagogos:
would you separate from our group? We use a parallel Bible to help the islanders who are weak in English. The KJV is there as is the NKJV and about 6 other translations. It has proved to be an invaluable tool in Bible study.
But would you separate from us for doing this?
Well, I wonder if seminary would help your ignorance. You gotta be a skeptic, not about Biblical truth, but skeptical of a bunch of wannabe intellectuals dispensing weak broth for meat. I find few, if any, seminaries that foster good, hard thinking as opposed to swallowing and regurgitating the pabulum that they spoon out for meat. They are more effective in changing attitudes and stroking egos than stimulating thought. I'm skeptical of seminary profs who dish out the same nonsense that their milk toast profs taught them. Like Pascal, I sometimes think no one should study theology before he has mastered physics and mathematics (FYI, I am conversant with both).Originally posted by tinytim:
Paidagogos, I stand behind my statement that the KJVO movement is built upon ignorance. Ignorance is the absence of knowledge. Most KJVO refuse to listen to truth when presented. I know I used to be one! I used to be ignorant. (If you talk to my wife she will say nothing changed) Anyway, most KJVOnlyist I know slander anyone that God has allowed to go to seminary, they condemn higher learning.![]()
If I had to do my post over I would accentuate that being ignorant of something is not a sin, but being willingly ignorant of the truth is!
As I said I used to be ignorant of the KJVO issue until I studied my Bible and church history. BTW I've never been to seminary but hope to some day.
No. Not really. Many of us used to be KJVO.Originally posted by paidagogos:
Those who call KJVO ignorant are simply displaying their own ignorance and lack of Bible knowledge.
If it is not biblical then it is a false faith. We should not encourage them to use another version necessarily but we should discourage KJVOnlyism.If one’s conviction is KJVO, regardless of another’s opinion of KJVO, should that KJVO person use other translations? Of course not! Whatsoever is not of faith is sin! Read your Bible.
This sounds like relativism. We should stand for the truth. Not knowing the truth is ignorance. Ignoring the truth is willful ignorance.You may not agree with their logic, convictions, or beliefs but you have no call to resort to name-calling (i.e. ignorance). By so doing, you display your own lack of knowledge, discernment, and spiritual character.
Which standards?Originally posted by JOHN3:16:
I Like the biblical standards of H/A, but I not for the, 1,2,3, pray after me, mentality.The(#)church.
No. Not really. Many of us used to be KJVO. </font>[/QUOTE]Then you may have been ignorant KJVO and misplaced the KJVO part. There are lots of dupes following Ruckman & Co., so it is no wonder that they would fall for other silly fallacy as well. So, my argument stands.Originally posted by Scott J:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by paidagogos:
Those who call KJVO ignorant are simply displaying their own ignorance and lack of Bible knowledge.
If one’s conviction is KJVO, regardless of another’s opinion of KJVO, should that KJVO person use other translations? Of course not! Whatsoever is not of faith is sin! Read your Bible.
Yeah, I suppose Paul ought to have straitened out those who were offended in eating meat offered to idols too. It is passing strange that he would rather deny himself the pleasure of eating flesh than offend.If it is not biblical then it is a false faith. We should not encourage them to use another version necessarily but we should discourage KJVOnlyism.
You may not agree with their logic, convictions, or beliefs but you have no call to resort to name-calling (i.e. ignorance). By so doing, you display your own lack of knowledge, discernment, and spiritual character.
What? There’s no relativism here! Do you know what relativism is? I think you know a word beyond your comprehension and used it to cast doubt on my orthodox epistemology. BTW, please explain how you establish that your position is truth (not what is true, but TRUTH). Where is it revealed? I contend that TRUTH is not discoverable by man but it can only be revealed by God. So, where is it exactly revealed?This sounds like relativism. We should stand for the truth. Not knowing the truth is ignorance. Ignoring the truth is willful ignorance.
So how do you handle the fact that there are no manuscripts with 1 John 5:7,8 before the sixteenth century?Originally posted by Maverick:
Speaking of balance. That is where TR only comes in. The MVs are based upon heretical texts and the KJ English is not inspired but the TR is the Word of God preserved and an accurate translation of it without the bogus notes that NKJV uses would be just fine and dandy, Randy!
That's called uniformity and not unity.Originally posted by Fraser:
Separation Issues.
When I went to a Fundamental Baptist Church.
I was taught anyone who doesnt beleive like you do, you were to have NOTHING to do with them.
this included Family members, your own blood!
How can you wittness to these people, or loved ones, if your suppose to stay away from them?
This is man made, not God made!
Nothing against other Baptists Churches.
Just this church.
So how do you handle the fact that there are no manuscripts with 1 John 5:7,8 before the sixteenth century? </font>[/QUOTE]Simple. The verses were lost in the Greek MSS but they were preserved in the Latin. What's your problem with that? Since brute fact does not exist, there is any number of possible explanations, interpretations, and conclusions.Originally posted by gb93433:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Maverick:
Speaking of balance. That is where TR only comes in. The MVs are based upon heretical texts and the KJ English is not inspired but the TR is the Word of God preserved and an accurate translation of it without the bogus notes that NKJV uses would be just fine and dandy, Randy!
I adhere to neo-fundamentalism and so am towards the extreme of separation. I believe that the Bible teaches that God has given over this world to Satan and so we believers must separate from the world. But separation is NOT isolation, evangelism is vital.Originally posted by Scott Cline:
Most Fundamentalists and Evangelicals agree that there is Biblical mandate to separate from unbelief and apostacy.
So, in this matter of separation, where do you stand?