1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Christians Pray for the Lost?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Apr 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand it. I went to a Reformed Baptist church for five years. I've been on BB for nine years. I've heard all the arguments and points several times over. I've studied the scriptures. I'm informed.

Let's not.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't presume God's plans for general things are my plans either. And God will not force lost people to accept him.

But God said to pray for the lost. He said to pray expectantly. Jesus said to pray for your requests over and over - persistently and gave the parable of the persistent widow.

When I pray, I pray God's will. God said three times in Ezekiel alone that he takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.

If God created billions and billions of people - hating them as he created them - creating them as reprobates never to have an opportunity to be saved - created them ONLY to burn in hell forever - then that would be his will that he watch them burn in an eternal bonfire while he smiled upon the torment.

But that's not what the Bible says. God does NOT take pleasure in the destruction of the wicked. Why? Because the Bible says it is HIS WILL that none should perish.

None means NONE. Of course, billions will perish because they reject God - like Cain, who rejected God's personal plea for him to live right and be "accepted". Like the rich young ruler rejected Christ outright.

Because God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked and his desire is that none should perish - I pray for the lost with great expectation. Like Moses did when he prayed that God would spare the people of Egypt and God relented. I am NOT comparing myself to Moses - only explaining how I pray.

I believe that God WANTS my Muslim students and their families to be saved. I believe that God WANTS my gay friends to turn from their wicked ways a be saved. I pray that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s fine :D

4. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My prayer will be used by God to change me to have the mind of Christ.
    It will be an act of obedience as God tells us to pray without ceasing.
    Prayer is NOT about manipulating the mind of God and persuading Him to do what God had not willed to do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked God to heal my Father of pancreatic cancer. God did not heal his cancer.
    If I took your verses outside of the context of God's word, I would be disappointed in God and thought he failed to do what I asked. Essentially I would say God broke his promise. But, God never fails his promise. Therefore, there must be more than your few sentences.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen the tactic used.

7. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you fail to see your contradictions regarding God's will being subservient to human will in your theology.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe your father being healed would not have resulted in "the Father being glorified through the Son," so it didn't happen.

Read the story about Hezekiah in Isaiah 38:1-6 and get back to us about God not changing because of prayer.

9. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you understood our position, you wouldn't say it is illogical.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I said nothing of the doctrines of grace in that post. So no, not a #5.

11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only illogical position is the one that think man has anything to do with his salvation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, good ol' #4.

#4.YOU BELIEVE THIS (insert strawman argument)

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are not actually praying for God to save anyone?

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do understand it and it is illogical. Most High through Hyper Calvinists would readily tell you general Calvinism is illogical. You agree with them on double predestination, you will eventually agree with them on the rest or you will abandon Calvinism. As I have said many times, High Calvinism is logical.

#54 Reynolds, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well then. Why, as a man, pray for the salvation of another man?

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Calvinist, but do we not see that God has chosen to use both prayers and the Gospel message as means to reach His chosen elect in Christ!?

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Calvinist, yet God still works to reach His own thru thru Gospel and prayers!

18. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pray for everyone... As far as the lost, God is in the Salvation business alone and his business is none of mine or yours... Christ said he WOULD save ALL the Father gave to him and I BELIEVE HIS WORD!... Then there is the ONE thief on the cross and I'm sure everyone that looked on him knew where he was going, or thought they did!... Which only proves what Jesus previously told his disciples... Brother Glen:)

Matthew 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think God changed because Hezekiah prayed?
    I think God chose to fulfill Hezekiah's prayer because Hezekiah's prayer aligned with God's will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you can tell me of someone that is not only currently lost but also that you have been into heaven and seen the Book of Life with his name missing from it, then I won't pray for him. Until then, I pray for the lost, that the Good Shepherd will come and find them.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.