• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Patriot - History or Fiction?

Kiffin

New Member
I was glad to see a movie on the American Revolution come out like The Patriot last year. I hoped it would be in the excellent quality of Glory and Gettysburg (despite some historical inaccuracies in it) that showed the great sacrifice of those who fought in the War between the States. I liked The Patriot as a action movie and give it a A for entertainment. Unlike Glory and Gettysburg which gave a realistic and balanced view of the men who fought and the reasons why, the potrayal of the British in the The Patriot as almost like the Nazi's was very unfair and wrong. The movie did show British General Cornwallis as very human and I think was balanced but overall the British were potrayed as Hollywood villains that I think hurt the film. I liked The Patriot as entertainment but felt it came up way short as history. So I was slightly disapointed. I did like the fact it showed that a good many in the Colonies opposed the war and that the Revolution much like the War between the States often was Brother against Brother and Neighbor against Neighbor.

[ September 20, 2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Kiffin ]
 

blackbird

Active Member
Good movie but I doubt of ole Mel could have kicked the Redcoats all the way back to where the King was loved best--single-handedly!

We can't look at Patriot(the movie) and say--"Wow! That really happened just like that!" For more historical accuracy on the Revelution or on Civil War, etc., you'd have to tune in to something like Ken Burns and what the PBS channels show from his documentaries as well as other history buffs who chase things like the Revelution and Civil War--sorta like Stephen Ambrose's WW2 documentaries.

Hollywood will give you fluff--thats about all!

Your friend,
Blackbird
 

rsr

<b> 7,000 posts club</b>
Moderator
I've only seen a few minutes of "The Patriot." I'm sure you're correct in your assessment. But at least it did draw attention to the war in the Carolinas, which has been virtually ignored in popular culture (except for the Disney fiasco "Swamp Fox.")

My question is "Are there any accurate Revolutionary War theatrical movies?" I can think of some WWII movies and Civil War movies that stick pretty close to the facts, but I can't think of any dealing with the Revolution.

(The best TV movie I've seen on the topic was "The Crossing" on A&E. Its series on the Revolution was very good, as were "Founding Fathers" and "Founding Brothers."
 

Johnv

New Member
It's historical fiction, like Titanic (except that in Titanic, James Cameron made sure that every detail in the film was historically accurate, eith the exception of the Jack & Rose storyline... right down to where each lifeboat was at every minute during the sinking). I hope no one thinks it's a true story, as that was not the intent of the filmmakers. I absolutely loved the movie and could watch it over and over again.

The Patriot is excellent filmmaking, and I loved it.
 

Rev. G

New Member
LOVED 'The Patriot'. Also loved 'Braveheart', although it took way too many liberties with the life of William Wallace.

Rev. G
 

rsr

<b> 7,000 posts club</b>
Moderator
About Bravheart:

Loved the movie, but I had to keep telling my son "This didn't happen."
 

Rev. G

New Member
I understand. My oldest son's middle name is "William," and my youngest son's middle name is "Wallace." When they get older I'll have to read the books to them, and then when they are old enough to watch the movie they can just enjoy it. : )

Rev. G
 

Sojourner

New Member
Without a lot of historical recensions, I felt the Patriot did capture a lot of the life of Francis Marion, aka The Swamp Fox. The accounts of the brutal deaths of the sons were fictionalized, but Marion's reputation for single-handed warfare was well known, and haunted him terribly.

What I found most interesting was the depiction of the dragoons under Conwallis, who were spoilt or overly ambitious, for the most part, and performed as was portrayed. The Machivellian spirit was evident as well as the barbaric cruelty, which caused Marion to launch much of the war fare which he fine tuned into the guerilla tactics and strategies in use today. The research I did on the Swamp Fox, not only in high school, but for a major thesis in the university, exposed the critical nature of the Revolutionary War in the South, that contributed vitally to the overall war effort. Some details in the Patriot have been glamorized and Hollywood enhanced, but overall, the historical records were fairly accurate. Most accurate was the battlefield sequences and the discipline that demonstrated not only Cornwallis' experience, but also the shift in tactical paradigms that came as a result of this war, which led to Cornwallis' demise and defeat.

Thanks for considering this information.

David
type.gif
 
Top