1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Supposed Errors in the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Hark, Mar 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the welcome!
    My intent was not to change topic which I should have stated. But to use it to show that the lack of errors, if any, are due to the translation methods of the KJB compared to the modern versions. (And others reasons which I don’t want to say because is off-topic to thread).
    I’m still in the process of discovering if the errors claimed in it are actually errors so at this time, I believe what I’ve stated above. Any patience is appreciated.

@Logos - King James Version | Bible, History, & Background

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But they DO exist, and remember that very-learned men 400 years ago "cured" migraine headaches by cutting a hole in the skull(trepanning) to allow the "bad humours" to escape. Knowledge in everything has come quite a way over the last 400 years. (Remember, God said knowledge & travel would greatly increase in the end times.)

All KJ did was give the Anglican Church permission to make a new English Bible version.

But again they didn't have the tools we have now, nor nearly as many mss. And they copied from earlier English BVs quite a bit.

And neither were all the AV makers. At least one (Thompson) was a drunk. Others had political motives. Others were members of the notorious Star Chamber & Court of High Commission.

That applies equally to those of 400 years ago.

As were many officials in the Anglican Church then.

Well, not that long ago, I would not have believed that LGBTQ would be accepted worldwide as it is now. And making money was a consideration the Anglicans didn't ignore while making the AV.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, I forgot to welcome you, Sir. But remember, it's "KJV", not "KJB".

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will never understand the development of language, will you? Passover didn't exist in Luke's time. Passover is an English word that did not exist until the 1500s. He couldn't have meant "passover" until the 1500s! (His writing is not that late, even by the most liberal standards.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @robycop3 :

As always I wish you well, sir, even though we disagree.
    My sincere prayer is that the Lord bless you in many ways.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!
    As to the KJB - an excerpt from a search:
    “The King James Version (KJV), also known as the King James Bible (KJB), sometimes as the English version of 1611, or simply the Authorized Version (AV)...”

If I’m assuming here, would it be that you don’t like the “KJB’ term because it relates to KJVOnlyism so “KJV” seems proper in that it’s just another version out there to be used?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recognize that.

I also suggest that if you want to be seen as being totally objective,
    Start flipping things around and asking those who are "anti-KJV" the same questions.
    I admire that.
    See my above.
    Then why in the over two years of me being here, have I never seen you do it?

Did I miss those threads where you pose similar questions to those who are "anti-KJV"?
    If so, would you point them out for me?
    To me it seems as if you're focused on putting those who trust the KJV above other English translations under some sort of a spotlight...

When truth be told,
    we as believers in Jesus Christ should be of one mind in investigating things to see what the truth really is, and should put it all under the spotlight.

#127 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Tyndale was translating for the plowboy. Perhaps he was trying to comunicate to those who never actually heard the word in English. People could not afford handwritten Wycliffe manuscripts, and regular folks could be persecuted for even having them. Tyndales New Testaments were affordable and he was speaking to people that had no translation. Something we all take for granted today. That was in 1526. 1530 he translated the first five books of the Old Testament, inventing the word passover. He revised the NT in 1534 and 1535 but was hunted by the English Church and King Henrys agents for printing The Word in English.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being anti-KJV-only would not be the same thing as supposedly being "anti-KJV."

Who are those that you accuse of being "anti-KJV"?
    Do you incorrectly accuse those who disagree with KJV-only teaching of being "anti-KJV"?
    Who is advocating a view of the English Bible that is parallel to modern KJV-only reasoning/teaching?

I have not noticed anyone advocating exclusive only claims of perfection for another English Bible or claims of its being the word of God in a different sense than other English Bible translations to ask those questions.

10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV is simply a version or a translation in the same sense as the pre-1611 English Bible translations of which it is a revision and in the same sense as post-1611 English Bible translations such as the NKJV.

11. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your post, do you ever warn or tell others concerning the imperfections or errors in the KJV?

Have you ever identified one imperfection in the KJV that would not be the fault of printers?

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    it seems to me that you are, and I feel that I've a right to ask questions like that.
    Who am I?
    Ultimately no one but a curious participant in a forum discussion.;)
    No I do not.
    But in some cases it seems to me that many who attack the position, are being anti-KJV.

There's a reason that some call it "the Despised Authorized".
    That would be me, but it isn't "KJV-Only".

It's TR-Only, and KJV-best.
    I do not claim that the KJV is perfect.
    Only that it's the best and most accurate English Bible, now in widespread distribution, to the preserved Greek and Hebrew.

#132 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've yet to find anything in the AV's translation that I'm terribly concerned over,
    except the use of italics, which I've seen in several English translations.

So no, I do not warn people of imperfections or errors in the KJV.
    To me, there are so few that anyone looking for them with a discerning eye, will find them.

Again, the use of italics comes to mind.
    But even then, the translators inserted them for continuity and they can be overlooked when one reads it...

Wouldn't you agree?

#133 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I have.
    Again, I don't see it as being absolutely perfect.

15. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not anti-KJV. I have read the KJV over 50 years, and I accept and defend the KJV as what it actually is. The KJV is the word of God translated into English in the same sense that the pre-1611 English Bibles such as the 1560 Geneva Bible are the word of God translated into English and in the same sense as post-1611 English Bibles such as the NKJV are the word of God translated into English.

Advocating the truth concerning the KJV is not being anti-KJV.

16. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your honest answers.

That said, I would appreciate it if people on this forum would stop associating me with those who advocate that the AV is perfect, that it was re-inspired, and that I see it as the only Bible that contains God's words.
    It isn't.
    But to me, it's by far the best and most accurate in the English, and especially so for its use of the "Received Text" in the Greek.

That said, this is my final reply in this thread.

God bless you and good evening.:)

#136 Dave G, Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you identify one of the thirty textually-varying editions of the edited, printed Textus Receptus edition as your standard?

There are some significant textual differences in the textually-varying TR editions.

How can one be TR-only without identifying one specific edition of it as their standard?

If you accept the 1800's TR edition created to try to match the KJV as much as possible as your standard, that could indicate a more of a KJV-only view than TR-only view.

In some places, Scrivener who created that 1800's edition maintained that the KJV followed the Latin Vulgate more than any one of the Greek TR editions. Since you claim to be TR-only, you should find it serious and significant for the KJV to depart from it in some places.

18. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I accept your explanation as given. However, I do not recall ever noticing you defend the KJV here on the Baptist Board. You might consider that when you feel people get the wrong impression of your views.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My statement right after the one that you quoted would be a statement that defends the KJV as what it actually is, and I have made that an assertion similar to that before on the Baptist Board.

I have read the KJV over 50 years, and I accept and defend the KJV as what it actually is. The KJV is the word of God translated into English in the same sense that the pre-1611 English Bibles such as the 1560 Geneva Bible are the word of God translated into English and in the same sense as post-1611 English Bibles such as the NKJV are the word of God translated into English.

It is also defending the KJV as what it actually is when I object to incorrect, unproven KJV-only claims that are made concerning the KJV. Human KJV-only reasoning attempts to claim that the KJV is something that it is not.

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 1 PM Pacific.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.