1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured We shall be like Him. This Means...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Apr 1, 2022.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We shall be like Him" is a Biblical verse.
    "We will have a physical resurrection" is not.

Just because Christ's resurrection was certainly physical does not mean ours is.

Christ prayed to the Father, John 17, to have again the glory He had had earlier with the Father. That glory did not require a physical body. A physical body was prepared for Him "in the days of His flesh", Heb. 5:7 (also 2:14 and 10:5), . Nothing in Scripture requires Christ to have a physical body now. It was a necessity in the Incarnation, and for the Resurrection. It is not now.

First the natural, then the spiritual. The first Adam is replaced by the Second. (1 Cor. 15). From the Adamic through the Jewish Dispensation all were part of, and were limited by, the physical. The Incarnation, ministry and sufferings and death of Christ were all necessarily physical. He was walking in Adam's footsteps, so to speak, but obeying where Adam disobeyed. Thus He undid the curse of Adam's sin upon us. The physical resurrection was part of this same mission of saving us.

But, starting with the Ascension, there was no need at all for Christ to have a physical body. Why should He?
    Christ, being one with the Triunity, had from eternity past absolute perfection. How can adding a physical body improve that?

How can perfection be even more perfected?

When Christ came, it was "in the glory of the Father". This is the glory that He prayed for in John 17, that He had with the Father "before the world existed".

We shall be like Him.
    Not, "He shall be like us - forever".

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should it be different? The resurrection of Jesus was the "first fruits" of the resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:20, 23). The "first fruits" are the first produce of the annual harvest. They are representative of everything that will come after. If Jesus was raised physically, then His disciples will be as well.

Correct, it did not.

We are given no indication that things have changed from the time of His resurrection. And having a physical body DOES NOT diminish the glory of Jesus, in case that's on your mind.

If Jesus became human (fully God and fully human), why do you think He is not still in that same condition?

You seem to be making a classic theological error that comes from the Gnostic influences in Western thought. Both natural and spiritual identify the ORIGINS of whatever they describe. "Natural" things originate in the natural world God has set into motion. "Spiritual" things -- which can be physical or non-physical -- originate from God.

A physical body has no effect on "perfection." Perfection (completeness) is all about the character and nature of Christ.

Actually, since He is the "first fruit" of the resurrection, and ultimately ALL human beings are created in the image of God, we will be like Him in our completed nature.

And remember, the earth will be redeemed and we shall live upon it -- a physical place -- that is perfectly united with the heavens.

3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is on my mind. And, yes, we are given those indications. In my OP I quoted five indications (unresponded to) which assume that Jesus is not now physical. Let me write them out more fully:

5And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. John 17:5

27For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.
    Matt. 16:27

14Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, Heb. 2:14

5Consequently, when Christa came into the world, he said,
    “Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
    but a body have you prepared for me;
    Heb. 10:5

7who, in the days of His flesh (ἐν ταῖς ἡμέραις τῆς σαρκὸς αὐτοῦ ), when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, Heb. 5:7

See the verses above. Do you think that being human requires being in the flesh? If that is the case, then, those who die and are no longer in the flesh cease to be human? And at the (assumed) future emptying of the graves they would become human again? No, Christ being the Son of Man does not mean His being physical from the time of the Incarnation on to eternity future. There is no scriptural or logical reason for extending the "days of His flesh to half an eternity.

My influence is not Gnostic. It is 1st Corinthians 15
    I am glad you brought up origins. That is exactly the key point in the Corinthian passage:

“The first man is of the earth (ἐκ γῆς), earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven (ἐξ οὐρανοῦ) .” 1 Cor. 15:47

This passage is a continuation of verse 40: somata epigeia and somata epourania now become “ek ges” and “ex ouranou”. This preposition (ek, ex – the forms only differ because of euphonics) shows origin. Adam came from the earth, from the dust. This brings to mind the very passage from Genesis. The “Second Adam” came from heaven.

Note: In both cases, the origins determine the essence of who these two are – and (v. 48) the essence of their “followers”.

Verse 49 says that “we shall [or “let us”] bear the image of the heavenly man” (the Second Adam, from heaven).

The application:

We shall be like Christ.
    And what is Christ like – according to this passage? He is like He was before He came to Earth. He is spiritual.
    Was Christ fleshly before he came here to Earth? No. He was pure Spirit.
    We – according to this passage – will also be like Him.
    Spiritual bodies. Spirits of just men made perfect, as we are told in Hebrews.

We cannot have part Adam’s essence (“dust”) and part Christ’s, seeing that we could not then “enter into the Kingdom of God”. “Dust” has to do with “flesh and blood”, not spirit.

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Job 19:24,25

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. 2 Cor 5:1-3

V 5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.

The selfsame thing (what) as whom?

But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Heb 9:11
    For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 Cor 5:1
    Heb 5:5,6 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

The order of?

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. Rom 6:9
    God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. But God raised him from the dead: And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
    Acts 13:33,34
    And it is yet more abundantly most evident, if according to the similitude of Melchisedek there doth arise another priest, who came not according to the law of a fleshly command, but according to the power of an endless life, for He doth testify -- 'Thou art a priest -- to the age, according to the order of Melchisedek;'

Couple of thoughts.

Was Jesus dead, without life, when he died for our sins? How long was the man, Jesus, the Son of the living God, dead, without life?

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; Heb 2:14
    Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. 1 Cor 15:50

Did 1 Cor 15:50 apply to Jesus also?

• Like Like x 1
  5. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for responding. I just now saw this.

For now I I will just answer your very first part. I am not sure what you are asking at the end of your quote here. The "selfsame thing" ("this very thing") refers back to the previous verses, being clothed upon.

The "in my flesh" does not mean what you seem to think it does. And what does Job actually “know” here?

Your KJV passage, as translated, has several problems. Mainly, for my purpose here, two problems:

1. There are no “worms“. The King James Version added that in their attempt to be helpful.

2. More importantly, the “see[ing] God” does not come “in” the flesh, but “from” the flesh. In other words, Job is not voicing a confidence that he will, in some future time, have a fleshly body with which he will see God. He is saying that even after his body will be destroyed he will still – afterward – see God. The destruction of his physical body will have no bearing on his assurance of seeing God. Consider these mainline sources:

“And after my skin, thus torn to pieces,
    And without my flesh shall I behold Eloah,”

“Therefore by far the majority of modern expositors have decided that Job does not indeed here avow the hope of the resurrection, but the hope of a future spiritual beholding of God, and therefore of a future life;” – Keil & Deilitsch

“After they shall have destroyed my skin, this shall happen – that I will see God.” – Gesenius

“The literal meaning is, “from, or out of, my flesh shall I see God.” It does not mean in his flesh, which would have been expressed by the preposition ב (b) – but there is the notion that from or out of his flesh he would see him;”

It cannot be proved that this refers to the resurrection of that body, and indeed the natural interpretation is against it.”
    Barnes

“And after this skin of mine is destroyed I will yet, without flesh, see God.” – Luther (translated from the German)

Our blessed hope does not include eternal life in physical bodies, however glorified. We will have perfect spiritual existence,individual and corporate. This is neither (as I have been accused above, not you) gnosticism or Eastern pantheistic oversoul existence. It is plainly what the Bible teaches. To get to the proof of this – and it admittedly is a slow and painstaking process – one must first deal with each and every passage that seems to teach otherwise. These two verses in Job are prime candidates, seeing that they are often quoted to teach what they pointedly do not teach.

So much for now.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

But someone will say, “How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?” 1 Cor 15:35
    It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 44
    having foreseen, he did speak concerning the rising again of the Christ, that his soul was not left to hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. Acts 2:31

Your thought on those verses relative to;

for the soul of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that maketh atonement for the soul. Lev 17:11
    for as to the life (soul) of all flesh, its blood is the life (soul) in (of) it; and I have said unto the children of Israel, Of the blood of no manner of flesh shall ye eat, for the life (soul) of all flesh is its blood: whoever eateth it shall be cut off. 14

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    atom

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Gen 2:7
    Everything with the breath of the spirit of life in its nostrils — everything on dry land died. Gen 7:22 CSB

and having cried with a loud voice, Jesus said, 'Father, to Thy hands I commit my spirit;' and these things having said, he breathed forth the spirit. into the hands of the Father ----- Is this when the blood of Christ was shed for us?

I guess I am asking if before the death and resurrection of Jesus was the soul, living being of his flesh body, in the blood of him?
    Was that because the breath of spirit of lives from God was in his blood and when he dismissed his spirit to the Father he shed his blood, died?

After the resurrection of flesh and bones did he have blood or had he become a life giving spirit. Compare to John 5:21,22,26,27

For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
    For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
    For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is not? Where do you get that? 1 John 3:2, Philippines 3:20-21, ". . .we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, . . ."

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure why you are quoting these. You are making my point.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure why you are emphasizing "body". I am not arguing for us being part of a spiritual "soup". We will have individual bodies, but spiritual.

Yes, the life is in the blood. That is true in this life. But this does not extend beyond this life. Think of, say, those 1st-century Christians who died. They were in Hades. They had lost their physical bodies, their blood. Did they thus lose their souls since "the soul of the flesh is in the blood"? And did they get new souls at the resurrection?

No, they never lost their souls, their real life. ("God is the God of the living, not the dead.")

All of this to say that life and humanness is not inextricably tied with flesh or blood.
    Neither is the present nature of the Son of Man.

I hope to get to the other post of yours later today. I appreciate the detailed questions.

But one quick comment. The physical post-resurrection body was not the same as the post-ascension body that He has now. The first was still part of the "days of His flesh".

#10 asterisktom, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did the soul, born of the virgin Mary , who had half brothers and sister of the flesh and was named Jesus, die and descend to Hades and his flesh body, subject to corruption, was laid in a borrowed tomb? Was thar soul, named Jesus dead three days in Hades?

Was the soul, named Jesus, resurrected out of Hades (the realm of the dead) in an incorruptible body of flesh and bones, to die no more and no more to return to corruption? Acts 2:31, Rom 6:9, Acts 13:3

Was the soul, Jesus, Subject to 1 Cor 15:50? Did the soul, Jesus, the heir of God of all things Heb 1:2, have to experience a change in bodily nature, in order to inherit the kingdom of God?

\Must we as joint heirs with Christ experience the selfsame thing in order to become inheritors of the kingdom of God?

Is that called glorification? John 7:39, Acts 2:33, 1 Peter 1:21, Phil 3:20,21, Romans 8:17

and this he said of the Spirit, which those believing in him were about to receive; for not yet was the Holy Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
    at the right hand then of God having been exalted -- also the promise of the Holy Spirit having received from the Father -- he was shedding forth this, which now ye see and hear;
    Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
    For our citizenship is in the heavens, whence also a Saviour we await -- the Lord Jesus Christ -- who shall transform the body of our humiliation to its becoming conformed to the body of his glory, according to the working of his power, even to subject to himself the all things.
    And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Will that take place, to our body of flesh, whether we be dead in Christ or alive on earth when he comes?

12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is sounding more like a series of Shibboleths than a discussion. This is not how it works. I answered the first of your questions and then raised my own points. Please address those and then we will get to your Shibboleths. A discussion is a two-way street.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is your point the believer's resurrection will be a bodily one, to have a physical bodily like Christ's resurrected body?

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will have spiritual bodies. "Like the angels", as it is stated in Luke. We will have bodies like Christ is now, not His resurrected body that He demonstrated to His disciples. That was still the "days of His flesh".

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think that is because neither of were not understanding what the other was saying. From your post 14 I now understand what you are saying.

Exactly when do you believe the days of his flesh ceased to be?

Therein is where I think we disagree.
    I believe the days of his flesh is relative to Lev 17:11 where the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and was pre death. After the resurrection I believe the soul of the flesh is Spirit.

Our sins were washed away in his blood where life then was. How were, our sins, washed away in the blood of him which was the, life, of him? He was dead.

Jesus was dead, he had poured out his soul/life unto death ='s shed his blood, was without life giving blood.

If he was not raised out of the dead, quickened if you will, where would we be? 1 Cor 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. - They would not be washed away in his blood. Yes or No?

I say, through washing of regeneration, Jesus was regenerated to the Spirit. by his resurrection 1 Peter 3:18 washing away our sins in his blood wherein had been the life/soul of the flesh.

I believe the days of his flesh ended with the death of him.

BTW All I post is MHO, nothing more and nothing less. Just my understand of the Word of God.

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is your view different from gnostics? If Jesus only took on humanity temporarily?

I believe you are redefining “resurrection”, which clearly means a physical bodily resumption of life.

And Paul uses the phrase “spiritual body” combining both the spirit and flesh; rightly understood as a glorified body.

peace to you

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We disagree. Christ is now an immortal man. 1 Timothy 2:5, Hebrews 13:8, Luke 24:39.

18. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we disagree on, it seems, is what these verses you quoted mean. Lets take a look at them.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 1 Timothy 2:5

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you believe that being a man, being human, assumes that you are physical, flesh and blood. But what happens when a person dies, when they are no longer flesh and blood? Are they no longer human? Do they become human again at the resurrection? No. The real person is the soul. Humanness is not tied to flesh and blood or physicality. So Christ being "the man Christ Jesus" is no proof that He is physical now.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8,

You seem to take this verse to mean that Christ is still physical now, despite explicit verses to the contrary (which I quoted in the previous posts). If this verse proves that Jesus Christ is the same now as He was in the Incarnation you have not considered the "yesterday" part. You want to prove that He is physical (I assume still flesh-and-blood) from the Incarnation on to eternity future. But what about before the Incarnation? That would still be part of the "yesterday".

Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. Luke 24:39

We agree on this verse describing Christ post-resurrection. This was part of His Messianic mission to be raised physically and to demonstrate His victory over death, sin, etc. But this says nothing as to what He is now. I have already quoted verses in the OP to back up this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Flesh and bone, no longer alive by means of blood, Luke 24:39. Romans 8:11.

This is after His bodily resurrection to be immortal. Luke 24:39. 1 Corinthians 15:53.

Not as a spirit, but being flesh and bone. No mention of being flesh and blood. 1 Corinthians 15:50.

#19 37818, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mankind was created complete with a physical body and a spirit.

It would seem to me that combination sets the precedence. The “resurrection” is obviously referring to a physical body coming back to life.

And the Angel told the disciples Christ would return the same way He ascended. That is, with His permanent glorified body in the clouds.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1