• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When was creation?

Salty

20,000 Posts Club
Administrator
1) Ussher Chronology of 4004 B.C as the date for the creation of the world, (James Ussher - 4 January 1581 – 21 March 1656)
2) Anderson belief from his own calculation - Per Wiki - 4234 BC (Steve Anderson b-July 24, 1981 (age 45) - & has no theological training
3) The current Jewish year is 5787, which began at sunset on September 11, 2026, and will end at sunset on October 1, 2027.
The Jewish calendar is based on the Anno Mundi system, counting years from the biblical creation date.


Open for discussion
 

canadyjd

Well-Known Member
No one knows the exact date for certain. People weren’t really keeping track of the passage of time like we do today.

Peace to you
 

Armchair Apologist

Well-Known Member
I know we have Ussher's dating and I believe this is what was largely employed in the Reese Chronological Bible I have in my library. If I were to make calculations of my own, I could use the Genealogies where you could make such calculations (which I have done) but are these Genealogies complete and exhaustive in which we can calculate the exact time between the beginning of Creation to the flood and from the flood to the time of Abraham? What about Cainan being inserted between Arphachshad and Eber in the Septuagint and showing up in Luke's genealogy?

I would not take such a variable and say that the universe may actually be "billions" of years old but I would also not be adamant or dogmatic about the universe being created in 4004 BC. My personal guestimate would be that if the genealogies as recorded were actually truncated, I would say that it may push creation back to 10,000 BC but hardly any longer than that. What is the earliest historical record? I believe the Sumerians in the Fertile Crescent would be the beginning of what we would consider to be recorded history (and is also consistent with the scriptures) so what do secular sources say marks the origin of this culture? Pre-history is anyone's "crap-shoot" but we have the genealogy in Genesis 5 if we wish to use this to determine the timespan between the creation and the flood. The genealogy throughout Genesis takes you all the way to the death of Joseph so this puts you to time of Israel's captivity in Egypt.
 

Van

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
This topic has been recycled many times. We have posters suggesting the YEC view, creation of every material or physical thing occurred less than 7000 years ago. This based on dating from Adam to the present, and assuming the days of creation were 24 hour days.

Then we have the OEC view, with the days of creation being of indeterminate duration, and the first human existing tens of thousands of years ago.

Scripture says we were not there and we do not know. I support that view. But I do believe, that the first humans were created less than 7000 years ago. Yes, I know published "science" says they have artifacts indicating abstract thinking that can be reliably dated to tens of thousands of years ago. But all the claims seem to boil down to "trust me on this, I have credentials such as a doctorate. Fiddlesticks!!
 
1) Ussher Chronology of 4004 B.C as the date for the creation of the world, (James Ussher - 4 January 1581 – 21 March 1656)
2) Anderson belief from his own calculation - Per Wiki - 4234 BC (Steve Anderson b-July 24, 1981 (age 45) - & has no theological training
3) The current Jewish year is 5787, which began at sunset on September 11, 2026, and will end at sunset on October 1, 2027.
The Jewish calendar is based on the Anno Mundi system, counting years from the biblical creation date.


Open for discussion
I am what they call a old Earth creationist

I believe the universe is billions of years old.

I believe the Earth is a good 4 plus billion years old.

I believe God created man anywhere from 60 to 100,000 plus years ago.

I believe it was 6000 years ago when Adam sinned _ thus taking away access to the Tree of Life - who's healing is in the leaves and fruit thereof. Taking away the form of immortality man had and the onset of decay and death.

Genesis 3:22 tells us when God put Adam out he did so Adam would not eat of the Tree of Life and live forever.

The Minister's teach that Adam never ate from the Tree of Life, because the Bible never said he did, that is an assumption. God gave him access to the tree so why wouldn't he eat from it. There are quite a few assumptions made by man that is not written in scripture as fact.

I believe that the translators mistranslated the Hebrew word Yom which can also mean a period in time / a point in time / a span of time / and to support their views of a literal 6 day creation it would have to be viewed as a 24-hour period.

godrules.net/library/strongs2a/heb3117.htm https://share.google/zhZjFx7D4nWomQBan


Primary Definitions of Yom

• Daytime Hours: The light portion of a 24-hour cycle, contrasting with the dark night (e.g., Genesis 1:5).
• 24-Hour Day: A full rotation consisting of an evening and a morning, often designated when paired with a numerical sequence or time markers (e.g., Genesis 1-2).
• Sunrise to Sunset: The natural daylight period of a single calendar day.
• Sunset to Sunset: The traditional Hebrew tracking of a full day from one evening to the next.
• A Point in Time: A specific, singular moment or "that day" (e.g., bayom or "on the day that").
• An Unspecified Period or Age: A general span of time, similar to English expressions like "in my grandfather's day" or "the days of the dinosaurs" (e.g., Genesis 2:4).
• A Year or Years: Used in the plural (yamim) to denote a long duration or the passage of years (e.g., "he lived many days").
• Eschatological Era: A significant historical or prophetic epoch, such as the "Day of the Lord" (Yom Adonai) representing a time of divine judgment.
 
Top