1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who wins souls?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darrell - you were correct; I wrote exactly what I meant ("followership").

Based on your reply, how many of these leaders do you think practiced followership before exercising leadership?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen people abandon their faith in seminary, and I have seen people become indoctrinated into a theological system. I don't mean this as a slight towards seminary as I am a seminary graduate and I found the experience one of great growth in Christ. So seminary itself is not the problem (perhaps depending on the seminary - I do not believe seminaries are there to indoctrinate people into a specific interpretation of Scripture, although they certainly set the boundaries in terms of what is beyond acceptance). Sometimes churches fall into the error of indoctrinating people into a belief they don't understand as well.

I disagree that systematic theology is a problem. We need to reason through Scripture as a whole, and we see the systematic approach to Scripture implemented in the New Testament itself (John used systematic theology in explaining Jesus as the "logos"; Paul made use of the theology in every epistle he authored; Hebrews reflects systematic theology throughout). We also hold as orthodox truths that are only arrived at through systematic theology (the doctrine of the Trinity, for example).

So while I agree leadership is an issue, I will note that the leaders were once the led. And the leaders are only so because people follow.

#142 JonC, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Seminaries are going to have a central System of Theology, and it is unlikely that there is freedom to express, in a learning environment, that which one might disagree with. In other words, the students do not establish what it is they learn, and the teachers do not usually deviate from what they are supposed to be teaching.

Maybe if I put it this way: The Systems of Theology we see today are in my view one of the greatest hindrances to the Body of Christ we have today.

I agree to a "systematic" approach to the Word of God, however, that does not equate to "The systems of Theology are a Biblical Approach."

And it is not "systematic theology" by which one "arrives at orthodox truth," it is a matter of acknowledging what is written. In other words, one does not have to have a particular approach to recognize basic truths of Scripture, and it is the Systems of Theology that actually blind people to basic truths because the Truth interferes with their system.

An example of that would be the hostility people express when a basic truth such as "The Disciples of Christ were not Christians while they sat under Christ's teachings."

Another would be Men are not regenerated in order to have faith, because if that were the case then we have to equally conclude that men can lose their salvation, because we have enough Scripture to show that there are men who are/were given truth yet they turned from that truth in rejection of it.

Another would be a denial that God has ministered differently in differing Ages.

Another would be that God has progressively revealed knowledge and progressively given understanding of that knowledge.

So I rephrase...the Systems of Theology today do more harm than good, and fracture the Body of Christ, making disciples of men, rather than disciples of Christ.

;)

And that was my point. Its a vicious cycle, and until believers start reading the Books of the Bible and stop reading books about the Bible, the cycle will continue.

And going out of town, Jon, but appreciate the responses. Wish I had more time to look at this with you, as it is an important issue.

God bless.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know your experience, but this was not mine. But this depends on what you mean by “a central system of theology”. I had professors that ranged from free-will Baptist to Reformed Baptist. For the most part, you never knew where the professors stood as this was not their point. This was a Baptist seminary, so there are certain doctrines that were required – but not a theological system.

I see. I misunderstood your objection as to be anti-systematic theology when instead you are objecting to some theories that have come out of this method. And I do see the dangers. We have men who blindly follow various theological systems – sometimes they may even be correct in what they believe yet wrong in what they reject. So I do agree with you here, but I think it is because men are prideful. We, by necessity, understand through our understanding. But until we are able to hold our understanding as exactly that we will not be able to dialogue with people we disagree with because we will always see them as inferior. This is a problem.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed. But, it's without prejudice. So, y'all are free to pick up on points of continued interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.