1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Baptist"

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Steve Allen, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we can’t all be snake handlers like our Northern Cousins. :p

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the bottom line then is of what use is it? A Catholic would say it’s vital to someone’s salvation to have sins (origional sin) washed away, a Presbyterian would say it’s a ritual circumsicion, the Baptist says it’s a right of Christian passage. So which is it... and is it necessary to your faith, indeed to your salvation after all?

Then, what was Johns baptism about? The Jews of the day had ritual baths called Mikva done to clean the individual and make them presentable in front of the Lord. If you transgressed, if you had a menstral cycle, if you were converting to being a Jew, you went into the Mikva. The priests of the temple were in charge and you paid them to conduct that ritual. But now your an incredibly poor person who couldn’t pony up the money... then you remained an unclean class of person.

Here is where John the Baptist steps in. The guy is in the Jordan River, in the wilderness, freely baptizing them, telling them their sins are forgiven . Can you see the pivotal difference. And he is broadcasting to everyone that access to God is as free as water. Look you poor people, you too can be washed clean without temple interference. That is revolutionary!!! Think how the temple priests felt, you are taking away their livelihood. John, that wild man in the wilderness brings God to the poor and disenfranchised. Is there any wonder that the establishment of the day killed him.

And Jesus participated in Johns baptism. Note he never does it himself but he condones it... and there is real significance there. I suggest that all Christians consider what the Baptist and our lord Jesus were doing to free people to access to God... it’s a real eye opener.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nor can you make a good pizza. :Alien

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again the Lord leads us into a great sign of humility and servitude... what can I say!:Thumbsup

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps brokenness is necessary to deep understanding. Sitting at an AA meetings and hearing the stories, sitting at a cancer treatment center with the one you love yada yada... it changes you. Now it’s one day at a time.

Praise God!

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the 1689 Confession:

29. Baptism

1. Baptism is an ordinance of the New Testament, ordained by Jesus Christ, to be to the person who is baptised - a sign of his fellowship with Christ in His death and resurrection; of his being engrafted into Christ; of remission of sins; and of that person's giving up of himself to God, through Jesus Christ, to live and walk in newness of life.
    2. Those who actually profess repentance towards God, faith in, and obedience to, our Lord Jesus Christ, are the only proper subjects for this ordinance.
    3. The outward element to be used in this ordinance is water, in which the person is to be baptised in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
    4. Immersion - the dipping of the person in water - is necessary for the due administration of this ordinance.
    I think it is also a sign of the acceptance of the one baptized by the congregation, that his profession of faith is credible and that he is regarded by them as a brother in Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you require it for salvation?

8. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, no wonder you are confused All baptism's are not the same. John's was not for salvation but repentance. We are baptized in the Name of a specific one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Willfully disobedient to what? May I suggest Baptist movement fellowship. If so, no big deal. My son could care less and my wife refuses to even broach the subject... but at heart she is a Presbyterian. Her idea of baptism is paedo. My consern then is with their salvations and seriously Baptist ordinances are not of consern to them. They both are confident in their spiritual lives.

12. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Mat 28:19 NASB] 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

[Act 2:38-39 NASB] 38 Peter [said] to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 "For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

[Rom 6:3 NASB] 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?

[Gal 3:27 NASB] 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism is required of salvation, not for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptism does not save, but if one is saved, why would one not obey our Lord's ordinance? "If you love Me, keep My commandments."
    I don't see it as an optional extra. The N.T. knows nothing of the unbaptized Christian. If someone has a principled view that his or her infant 'christening' is valid, then I understand that, and I expect the Lord does too. But otherwise, I don't understand it.

16. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obedience is required . Because we believe once saved always saved disobedience does not affect salvation only fellowship. So if one is saved but has not decided to be baptized, it is disobedient and it does affect us, but not our salvation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to explain it in further detail.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not everyone believes in OSAS.

Well it will only affect us if we want to fellowship with Baptist churches. My wife has no desire to do so. Again she is a Presbyterian (actually raised in the old Dutch Reformed Church). I myself would never have made a break with Presbyterians had in not been for an Elder who claimed that babies that died prior to infant baptism went to hell. That's when I made my brake with Paedo Christians.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is an ordinance, not a commandment. If it where, every christian regardless of stripe would be forced to get dunked....but since its not a "Commandment" its merely arbitrary......more a fellowship thing really. Anyway to people like my wife & son do not consider it significant to their salvation.

not my problem.... maybe you should factor in washing feet .

#100 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.