1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Be On Guard against false doctrine.....False Ideas on PSA considered

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Mar 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depending how and what is "in behalf of" it is logically deduced to in affect to be "in place of." Galatians 3:13 is an example. The word never means "instead of," but usage can have the connotation of "in place of."

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Jon, how good is your Greek? what you are doing here, is imposing your THEOLOGY on what the Bible actually says! There is no doubt, that anyone who understand the Greek prepositions, will know that ὑπέρ does mean INSTEAD OF.

BDAG Greek Lexicon

bdag.png

Liddell and Scott Greek Lexicon

l&s.png

Can you see the use, INSTEAD OF?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "whole world does not have their sins propitiated...only the elect found anywhere in the world.Jesus is the only source of propitiation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    nonsense!

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am still establishing the truth biblically. We see Gods wrath revealed against all unrighteousness..believers and unbelievers alike are guilty before God and are children of wrath even as others....Romans leads up to Jesus as our propitiation. He must have done something to turn away the wrath that we were under. Believers have no Condemnation In Christ Rom 8;1....there is a reason for that condidtion that believers enjoy. Wonder what that is?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse does not say anyone has their dins propitiated. Read the passage again. Christ IS THE Propitiation for the sins of the whole world (all mankind).

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is obvious that @Iconoclast cannot support his view via Scripture.

I do not care what those men he chooses to follow says. I do not care about what he believes is taught but not actually said in God's Word.

It is getting old reading through His references of men who tickle his ears and listening to his opinions of what he wishes Scripture said.

So I'm out (as far as @Iconoclast goes).

@Iconoclast , if you ever find a passage ("what is written") that states your belief then PM me and let me know. We'll discuss it then.

Until then, just keep in mind John Calvin did not die to save you. Please consider trusting in Hod and His Word rather than humanistic philosophy

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty good. I studied Greek at the graduate level for several years. How about you?

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    WRONG Again;
    "The sins of"....is added by the translators but is not in the text.
    Your universal atonement is another falsehood.

2 and he -- he is a propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world,

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You were never "in"...you are trying to cover up but we will continue on as requested. Your false ideas have yet to be fully exposed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philemon 13, " Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead (ὑπέρ) he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel" (KJV)

"I wanted to keep him with me so that he could serve me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel" (International Standard Version)

"I wanted to keep him so that he could serve me in your place during my imprisonment for the sake of the gospel" (NET Bible)

"I wanted to keep him with me, so that he might be of service to me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel" (NRSV)

"Whom I woulde haue reteined with mee, that in thy steade he might haue ministred vnto me in the bondes of the Gospel" (Geneva Bible)

"Whom I woulde haue retayned with me, that in thy steade he myght haue ministred vnto me in the bondes of the Gospell" (Bishops Bible)

"whom I wolde fayne have retayned with me that in thy stede he myght have ministred vnto me in ye bondes of the gospell" (Tyndale)

"For I would have kept him with me to minister to me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel" (Lasma The Peshitta)

"Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered to me in the bands of the gospel" (Latin Vulgate)

12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    then use your knowledge of Greek as it is, without your bias! I have shown time and again, that the Greek ὑπέρ, is used with the meaning INSTEAD OF, as I have also shown in #51. and you still deny this! It is your THEOLOGY that is stopping you from accepting FACTS!

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am. Paul uses words for "in stead of". The word you are mistranslating does not mean "in stead of". It literally means "for one's sake" or "on one's behalf".

Your philosophy is clouding your judgment.

If I testify on your behalf I am nit testifying instead of you. Learn English and then study Greek.

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    so you deny that #51 is right? same Greek preposition used here, ὑπέρ

I have also quoted from leading Greek lexicons, and Dr A T Robertson, Greek scholar. Add to this the reformed commentary by JFB, "A curse for us - having become what we were, in our behalf [ huper (G5228) heemoon (G2257): Philem 13 sanctions also 'in our stead'"

And you think that you know better than these authorities! :eek:

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To the readers.... serious error has been posted....we will post some of the error...it takes time, so be patient. We have seen how most readers have caught the error, spread out over like 7 or 8 threads. It is more shocking when you see it posted together.
    let's now list some of the bad ideas here;
    pt1

This attempts to suggest those who do not share John's view do not believe scripture

Here JOHNC suggests RM holds to mythology, debasing scripture, and that scripture is not enough. I do not always agree with RM, however this is slanderous

opps; This looks like scripture to me...
    21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
    For Christ also hath once suffered for sins,

the just for the unjust,
    that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    bad posts pt2;
    [QUOTEInfirmity is the bondage under which we were enslaved (the wages of sin).
    ][/QUOTE]
    no..mt8

lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I checked more than one source. I am referring to the word meaning versus sense of meaning understood in some usages.

18. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    see #42 and 51

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    here is a good example. A is sentenced to prison. then B says to the judge, that he would to to prison "on his behalf". And the judge agrees. Does this not mean that B went to prison INSTEAD OF A? You are playing games with word uses!

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    from Thayers Greek lexicon

3. in the place of, instead of (which is more precisely expressed by ἀντί; hence, the two prepositions are interchanged by Irenaeus, adv. haer. 5, 1, τῷ ἰδίῳ αἵματι λυτρωσαμένου ἡμᾶς τοῦ κυρίου καί δόντος τήν ψυχήν ὑπέρ τῶν ἡμετέρων ψυχῶν καί τήν σάρκα τήν ἑαυτοῦ ἀντί τῶν ἡμετέρων σαρκῶν): ἵνα ὑπέρ σου μοι διακονῇ, Philemon 1:13; ὑπέρ τῶν νεκρῶν βαπτίζεσθαι (see βαπτίζω, at the end), 1 Corinthians 15:29; (add, Colossians 1:7 L text Tr text WH text); in expressions concerning the death of Christ: εἷς ὑπέρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν (for the inference is drawn ἄρα οἱ πάντες ἀπέθανον, i. e. all are reckoned as dead), 2 Corinthians 5:14(15),15; add, 21; Galatians 3:13. (On this debated sense of ὑπέρ, see Meyer and Van Hengel on Romans 5:6; Ellicott on Galatians and Philemon, the passages cited; Wieseler on Galatians 1:4; Trench, Synonyms, § lxxxii.; Winer's Grammar, 383 (358) note.) Since anything, whether of an active or passive character which is undertaken on behalf of a person or thing, is undertaken 'on account of' that person or thing, ὑπέρ is used

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.