• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you play the Lottery?

Do you play the lottery?

  • Yes

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • No

    Votes: 32 84.2%

  • Total voters
    38

EdSutton

New Member
SaggyWoman said:
Your answer?
To be accurate, overall and collectively, "the Lottery" 'plays' ill-informed, gullible individuals, by 'paying' a rough average of $1 for every $2 put into it, at all levels.

Ed
 
Last edited by a moderator:

givengrace

New Member
I don't know about all State Lottery's but here in Ga. That is what pay's for State funded Pre K and there are Hope Scholarships.

How do you think Christians should feel about using these. Or other Lottery funded items?

Sorry if this needs to move feel free.
 

annsni

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
givengrace said:
I don't know about all State Lottery's but here in Ga. That is what pay's for State funded Pre K and there are Hope Scholarships.

How do you think Christians should feel about using these. Or other Lottery funded items?

Sorry if this needs to move feel free.

The problem is that I've seen a vast majority of those partaking in the lottery are the ones who least can afford it. So while they might be benefitting, they are also paying into it.

We do not play the lottery. In our view, it's gambling and wrong.
 

givengrace

New Member
annsni said:
The problem is that I've seen a vast majority of those partaking in the lottery are the ones who least can afford it. So while they might be benefitting, they are also paying into it.

We do not play the lottery. In our view, it's gambling and wrong.

I don't do the Lottery myself. And I agree with you. Dave Ramesy say's the Lotery is Poor people putting the Middle classes kids thru collage.
 

ktn4eg

New Member
givengrace said:
I don't do the Lottery myself. And I agree with you. Dave Ramesy say's the Lotery is Poor people putting the Middle classes kids thru collage.

Not to mention the incentive for HS teachers to "inflate" grades to "help" Middle-class students meet the goals to qualify for the Hope Scholarships.

This then leads to having the colleges spend more time, money, & personnel teaching the "Developmental" college courses in English, Math & other skills they failed to acquire even at the dumbed-down public (read Government schools that are ruled and controlled by the ultra-leftist NEA & AFT teacher's unions (who BTW are some of the largest campaign donors to almost every far-left, socialist political candidate in this country).

If you think I'm out of line when I make that statement, then show me how many socially conservative candidates the NEA and/or AFT unions have endorsed over the past several years and have financially supported by means of strong-arming their membership to kick in for candidates that they as individuals wouldn't support at all if it were up to the individual members.

Moreover, if the lottery is such a sure-fire way to "get-rich quick," then why are the overwhelming majority of lottery ticket sellers and buyers not members of the wealthier upper classes in any given major metropolitan area in this nation? (Wouldn't you think that "the rich would want to get richer"?)
 

billreber

New Member
I marked "no" because I refuse to buy lottery tickets. However, I have ONE TIME played such a ticket, because it was given to me at no cost. I "won" $2!

I also consider buying lottery tickets as gambling, which I see as a sin.

I have been told (no reference from anywhere) that those who win the jackpots in lotteries typically are more broke than they started, after just 5 years. Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me! I can do without that kind of grief.

Bill :godisgood:
 

Jon-Marc

New Member
I play $1 one or twice a week if I'm out. I won't make a special trip out to do it--only if I pass a place where I can play it. I never get a single number right, which should tell me something. However, I am so far in the hole with medical bills that I can't see daylight, and I'm desperate to pay them off.

I haven't been able to find it and could be wrong as usual, but I seem to remember a verse that said not to seek riches.
 

KenH

Well-Known Member
We just passed an amendment here in Arkansas last month to allow a state lottery so I voted yes as I intend to participate when it starts up sometime next year. I don't mind contributing a dollar a week to higher education. I don't see any difference in that and contributing a dollar to a local civic group for a chance to win a quilt or a gas card or a Wal-Mart card.

I view gambling the same way that I do drinking alcholic beverages - I see nothing wrong with doing either as long as it is done in moderation. Don't get drunk and don't contribute a dollar that you can't afford to lose.
 
It's best to avoid gambling, so I don't play the lottery. I wouldn't even want to win a really large amount anyway, it might actually cause problems.
 

Alcott

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
No, I've been playing something that's cut my savings in half since the first week of August-- the stock market.

With enough despondency over this and a new administration intent on preventing new drilling, forcing socialist medicine, and pushing higher taxes ('for the rich'-- but already bringing the definition of such way down), on a vacation day last week, with nothing else to do, I drove to the nearest casino, about 60 miles away, for the first time in a year or 2. I intended to play $20 in slots, but then with ups and downs I played another $25, and as the total hit above $25, I decided I will play until it gets back down to 25 or else a good hit, meaning to $40 or more, so I would leave with a loss of no more than $5. Then there was one of those matches that brightened the display, followed by an automatic spin, which came out Red Ruby--Red Ruby--7 => $500. So altogether I put in $45, came home with $526. So stop! Take the money and split, and don't go back!

So, lottery or slots, you can come out ahead, but the only way is to to win and quit. I'm sure they're counting on anyone who 'wins' $500 to give it all back in succeeding trips... but not this time. Same with the lottery-- if you want to play it, and you get more than pocket change, if you don't quit you'll be back in the red very shortly.
 

SBCPreacher

Active Member
Site Supporter
KenH said:
I don't mind contributing a dollar a week to higher education./QUOTE]
Ken,
Not meaning to pick a fight at all, but why not just give your $ directly to the school? Why does it take a lottery to do that?
 

abcgrad94

Active Member
I don't play the lottery because I believe gambling is a sin. Even if it supposedly funds education or whatever, it's never right to do wrong, period.

I also believe the lottery is a starting point that can hook people into becoming compulsive gamblers, which ruins their homes and lives because of the addiction.
 

KenH

Well-Known Member
SBCPreacher said:
Not meaning to pick a fight at all, but why not just give your $ directly to the school? Why does it take a lottery to do that?

I understand. I guess I would say that one could just give the money to the civic organization instead of buying a chance to win a quilt or a gas card or a Wal-Mart gift card.

I understand that some people are adamantly against gambling in any form even for only a penny, and I sincerely respect their position, and I have absolutely no problem with someone holding that
viewpoint. :)
 

Dan Todd

Active Member
I did play the NY State lottery a few times - when I was a young man - before the children came along - the oldest two will be 36 this month.

I was convicted about gambling - so I didn't continue to waste my money.

On occassion - I give donations to civic organizations that are trying to raise money - once I put my oldest granddaughter's name on a slip.

I wonder what a ten year old girl will do with a canoe - if she wins it!!!
 
Top