1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God have a Mother?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Eliyahu, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, the point is that this matter was settled once and for all by the Church nearly 1600 years ago, has been believed by Christians ever since - and before - and it is most unfortunate that you and Eliyahu seek to revive the heretical opinion of Nestorius on a Christian board

2. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Wrong again.

3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which Christians believe it? Roman Catholic full of heresies and Idol worship? and Greek Orthodox whose priests were converted to the chairmen of Commnunist party quickly?

The true believers during the Catholic dominance or under Russian orthodox, or under Communist regime never called Mary as Mother of God. They never worshipped goddess- Maria!

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yes, I am "form" Rome Georgia. However I assure you I am not a Roman Catholic. (That was a clever little joke though)

I'm not witchhunting. I'm merely pointing out that you trying to cast Nestorius as the innocent orthodox victim is an example of historical revisionism.

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Which Christians believe it? Roman Catholic full of heresies and Idol worship? and Greek Orthodox whose priests were converted to the chairmen of Commnunist party quickly?

[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Oh, let's see: Catholics, Orthodox, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Anglicans, other Calvinists, Methodists, Baptists, Congregationalists, Restorationists/ house church people, etc

In other words, pretty much all Christians.

7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do the Baptists call Mary as Mother of God?
    Do the Methodists call Mary Mother of God?
    John Calvin was educated in Catholic family and He masterminded the execution of 58 people and imprisonment of 76 people, some of them just because they refused Infant baptism, predestination, trinity etc. What he did was very similar to what Paul did before his conversion. His book Institutes of Christian Religion is full of heresies.
    Martin Luther remained as Catholic Priest,Antisemitic.
    Anglicans were deviated from Roman Catholic so that King Henry 8 divorce and re-mary.

Is Homosexuality is Orthodox because the most of the group you mentioned approve or accept these days?

I don't say that all they did were wrong, but I mean that those references are not superior to one sentence of Bible.

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    &lt;In other words, pretty much all Christians.&gt;

Please don't use this term until you make a thorough survey and statistics.

Are you ready to stand for the truth even though 6 billion people in the world stand against the truth?

I am ready!

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have any literature written by Nestorius, explaining what He thought?

Are you judging him with the material which his accusers forged and manipulated? That is exactly the method which Roman Catholic Inquisitors used when they charged the people by witch hunting, by human syllogism

If you have any evidence about what Nestorius said, please present it here!
    Otherwise, you are groundless accuser of the innocent victim!

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So, Eliyahu, are you saying that all these groups are not Christians?

The Bible as interpreted by whom? You?

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The interpretation of the Bible should be done according to the guidance of Holy Spirit. Have you ever been born again by Holy Spirit?

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are trying to accuse a person in the way which was used by Inquisitors. Did I say that none of them are Chrisitan?

Did you not read this?

I don't say that all they did were wrong, but I mean that those references are not superior to one sentence of Bible.

13. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Do not speak on that which you do not know.
    Luther was not antisemitic, nor did he as you say remain a Catholic Priest.

I cannot speak for others but I can speak for Lutherans

Forumula of Concord Art VIII "Therefore, we believe, teach, and confess that Mary did not conceive and give birth to a child who was merely, purely, simply human, but that she gave birth to the true Son of God. Therefore, she is rightly called and truly is the Mother of God" - Martin Chemnitz, not Luther.

Nestorius quotes from his first sermon against the Theotokos emphasis mine
    p 123-131 The Christological Controversy - Richard Norris

ps do not confuse the ELCA with Lutherans. The ELCA has long abandoned Biblical teachings.
    pps It was the Council of Chalcedon not Ephesius that dealt with Nestorianism.

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yep. [ETA - this in response to Eliyahu's question as to whether I have been born again by the HS]

If your view is correct, how come there are so many interpretations of the Bible between Christians? Sounds to me like either the Holy Spirit doesn't do a very good job or that there must be some other way of interpreting the Bible...

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chemnitz,
    Has Luther ever denounced his position as Catholic Priest? He was a priest, then never gave up the position as the priest until he die.

You can find Luther was Anti-semitic in mnay ways and that's one of the reasons why the Lutheran supported Adolf Hitler, the devout Roman Catholic.

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You are trying to accuse a person in the way which was used by Inquisitors. Did I say that none of them are Chrisitan?

Did you not read this?

</font>[/QUOTE]My response was to your statement:

I repeat my question: do you regard these people as Chrstians or not?

17. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you check Martin Luther Anti-semitism, you can find thousands of articles on the internet:

At the beginning of his career, Luther was apparently sympathetic to Jewish resistance to the Catholic Church. He wrote, early in his career:

The Jews are blood-relations of our Lord; if it were proper to boast of flesh and blood, the Jews belong more to Christ than we. I beg, therefore, my dear Papist, if you become tired of abusing me as a heretic, that you begin to revile me as a Jew.

But Luther expected them to convert to his purified Christianity. When they did not, he turned violently against Jews.

He did not call them Abraham's children, but a "brood of vipers" [Matt. 3:7]. Oh, that was too insulting for the noble blood and race of Israel, and they declared, "He has a demon' [Matt 11:18]. Our Lord also calls them a "brood of vipers"; furthermore in John 8 [:39,44] he states: "If you were Abraham's children ye would do what Abraham did.... You are of your father the devil. It was intolerable to them to hear that they were not Abraham's but the devil's children, nor can they bear to hear this today.

Therefore the blind Jews are truly stupid fools...

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you check Martin Luther Anti-semitism, you can find thousands of articles on the internet:

At the beginning of his career, Luther was apparently sympathetic to Jewish resistance to the Catholic Church. He wrote, early in his career:

The Jews are blood-relations of our Lord; if it were proper to boast of flesh and blood, the Jews belong more to Christ than we. I beg, therefore, my dear Papist, if you become tired of abusing me as a heretic, that you begin to revile me as a Jew.

But Luther expected them to convert to his purified Christianity. When they did not, he turned violently against Jews.

He did not call them Abraham's children, but a "brood of vipers" [Matt. 3:7]. Oh, that was too insulting for the noble blood and race of Israel, and they declared, "He has a demon' [Matt 11:18]. Our Lord also calls them a "brood of vipers"; furthermore in John 8 [:39,44] he states: "If you were Abraham's children ye would do what Abraham did.... You are of your father the devil. It was intolerable to them to hear that they were not Abraham's but the devil's children, nor can they bear to hear this today.

Therefore the blind Jews are truly stupid fools...

19. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Again Eliyahu you betray your ignorance.
    Because certain foul elements twisted an isolated document to support their agenda does not mean the author would agree with their agenda. You also betray your ignorance by claiming the Lutherans supported Hitler, a pastor of mine spent his childhood in the concentration camps because the Lutherans acted against Hitler. The State Church supported Hitler, those who were Lutheran in more than name split from the State Church and actively campaigned against Hitler, Dietrich Bonhoeffer being one of them. Adolf Hitler was a RCC in name only, in fact he was more neo-pagan than anything else.

Luther never had to denounce his position as a Catholic Priest, the Pope took care of that. He, however, did remain an Evangelical catholic pastor.

20. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

But I notice that now there is proof of Nestorius' heresy posted you ignore it in order to defame somebody else rather than face up to your own error.

BTW it wasn't simple rejection that ticked Luther off, it was the fact they were trying to convert Christians.