Originally posted by Inspector Javert
I didn't call you either a communist or a liberal...
Put down the joint and read what I ACTUALLY said.
Semantics. And more prejudice.
I don't believe in "big intrusive" government any more than you do...
But I'm not a Libertine either.
And yet here you are advocating for one of things that has made the government bigger and more intrusive at the expense of all our liberties.
There is a happy medium between the two.
Yes and the government can be trusted to keep itself in check. Consitution? We don't need no steenking constitution our government can be trusted!
You do not believe in complete and full-fledged "individual liberty".
I don't?
You yourself would enforce limitations upon "individual liberty".
I would?
Would you let someone possess or distribute child pornography?
If not...
You know then that there are limits on "individual liberty".....and you would use the force of Law to limit them. Just as any sane person would.
Child pornography is a crime because it is one person initiating aggression against another. In this case a helpless child. Individual liberty has nothing to do with it. No one has the liberty to initiate aggression against another.
But you're asking the government to do just that with drug offenders aren't you? What's the difference if you initiate the aggression or you have the government do it for you? Do you believe your hands are clean because you had a government agent initiate aggression on another?
Here's what I believe should be done to those who produce or distribute child pornography. Charge them, try them in a court of law by a jury and if they are found guilty take them to the village square and hang them by the neck until they are dead so all can see their fate.
I doubt even you are that "conservative".
I can agree with that....
But I am not foolish enough to think that illicit drug sales and their use are a solitary crime.
I know better.
It is FAR from victimless....
FAR from it.
And who are the victims? The drug addict's families? Of course they are victims. Now you would double that by locking away their family member for years and causing them even more anguish.
The jails are full already, the "land of the free" has the largest prison population on earth! Has it stopped drug use? Has it even lessened it?
No. But it has torn mothers from children and children from their families for simple non violent drug use. Your way creates as many or more victims than the drugs themselves.
But you'd probably rather not think about that aspect of it. And for sure you'd rather avoid thinking about what happens to the non violent drug "offender" in the prison you would have them locked away in where there are
real criminals that will do unspeakable things to them. Are these not victims of your government intervention into the private lives of citizens? But I guess in your mind they deserve what they get right?
I mean after all they're only stupid drug users. They aren't nearly as smart and righteous as you.
huh?

I don't know if the term "non-sequitor" is a strong enough term for this.
I don't think that....
Sure you do. If we go by what you have said so far we can even identify the philosophy
behind your thinking. It's called "collectivism". The idea that the individual should be sacrificed for the "greater good" of society.
That's the core philosophy of communism, socialism, modern liberalism and authoritarianism and is the opposite of our nation's founding principles.
I don't believe that a society stoned on heroin is one with no victims and a million happy freedom-loving citizens all collectively doing one another and their wives and children no harm whatsoever.
But yet you'd keep the black market in drugs healthy where only the drug cartels, big banks and violent gangs and government benefit. Look as long as there is a demand for a product someone is going to be supplying that demand.
Your way does nothing to reduce demand. It's been 40 years and the supply hasn't gone down. On the contrary it has increased and the drugs have become more powerful and more plentiful with no control over strength or purity.
You've encouraged an unregulated market of the worst kind.
And by doing so you're putting millions at serious risk of dying from contaminated and or toxic combinations. Is that how we're suppose to love our neighbors?
You think drug-use is a victimless crime.
I think that's stupid.
I believe I've already "debunked" this.
You seem reticent to distinguish between overly-large sodas, trans-fats and opiates....
Sane people know the difference.
I just think we should be consistent. If we're going to call on government to protect us from harming ourselves we shouldn't stop at half measures, because as you may have noticed lately the government won't. It'll take whatever power you allow it and expand on it till we have no liberty or freedom what so ever.
A huge overbearing militarized nanny state with the power to regulate what we put into our bodies or dictate what we must put into our bodies is not what we need especially one that views it's own citizens as a threat to it's hold on power.