Inspector Javert, I think the main point is simple and somehow being lost. I don't know exactly what you do, but with it being your work, I'm sure it means a lot to you and is worth defending.
Maybe everyone's missing the main point for all the "guy talk" happening in the middle.
I think the idea here is that you can't turn off the ocean by damming a creek, and it appears that our country is damming a creek and trying to tell us that will stop the drug problem, and thinking we'll believe it, because they don't WANT to stop the ocean. It's too profitable. (kind of like why alcohol will never stop, despite the horrific loss of life on our public roads, numerous broken families and tragedies, etc., there is profit in buying and selling spirits, and yes, I use that word purposely!)
That doesn't make everyone who is damming the creek (trying to stop the harm that drugs are doing) an automatic bad guy who is knowingly a part of the drug trade. You obviously are not. You make a difference where you are, in the moment. That's important.
The concept (I think) is that the bigger picture makes the smaller one hopeless in the long run, as proven already simply by time. Drugs are still coming in. The dealers may change, locations may change, but overall, the problem isn't any smaller. Everyone's still profiting off of addiction, the people addicted are still broken, and there's no sign of it getting better. In a war, when you're not winning, you're losing.
As long as the ocean still flows and we try to stop it by damming a creek, we're going to continue to lose. The question would be why this country keeps trying a failing method. Maybe on your turf, it has improved your area and that is great, it means you're doing your job and so are others in your area, but do you truly, honestly think that in the big picture, it's working for America?
This is why I posted before that a whole different approach needs to happen...but anyhow, wanted to word it this way and see what you thought.
Maybe everyone's missing the main point for all the "guy talk" happening in the middle.
I think the idea here is that you can't turn off the ocean by damming a creek, and it appears that our country is damming a creek and trying to tell us that will stop the drug problem, and thinking we'll believe it, because they don't WANT to stop the ocean. It's too profitable. (kind of like why alcohol will never stop, despite the horrific loss of life on our public roads, numerous broken families and tragedies, etc., there is profit in buying and selling spirits, and yes, I use that word purposely!)
That doesn't make everyone who is damming the creek (trying to stop the harm that drugs are doing) an automatic bad guy who is knowingly a part of the drug trade. You obviously are not. You make a difference where you are, in the moment. That's important.
The concept (I think) is that the bigger picture makes the smaller one hopeless in the long run, as proven already simply by time. Drugs are still coming in. The dealers may change, locations may change, but overall, the problem isn't any smaller. Everyone's still profiting off of addiction, the people addicted are still broken, and there's no sign of it getting better. In a war, when you're not winning, you're losing.
As long as the ocean still flows and we try to stop it by damming a creek, we're going to continue to lose. The question would be why this country keeps trying a failing method. Maybe on your turf, it has improved your area and that is great, it means you're doing your job and so are others in your area, but do you truly, honestly think that in the big picture, it's working for America?
This is why I posted before that a whole different approach needs to happen...but anyhow, wanted to word it this way and see what you thought.