1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured GOP healthcare plan

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by blessedwife318, Mar 6, 2017.

?
  1. It's what I wanted from the GOP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's a start but still needs work

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. It needs a lot of work

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. They need to just repeal Obamacare and not replace it at all

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Government just needs to get out of healthcare altogether and let the free market works

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Obamacare is fine the GOP needs to leave it alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. We should go to Single Payer

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hannity had some good comments today. I agree with him that Paul Ryan blew the roll out. He insisted on his side coming up with the initial plan instead of opening it up to everyone, so they could roll it out together showing a semblance of unity. Can't stand Ryan. That said, they need to fix it from where it is, and it IS doable. Hopefully, someday, Ryan will step down. In the meantime, Trump needs to get everyone together for some closed-door brawling.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They need to get the conservatives to agree to do something, as not doing anything plays into Trump being emasculated as president!

3. Calminian

Site Supporter

I believe Trump is good in these situations, though. He should be able to get them all in a room, and hammer out something.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell that to the 50 million people who died from the Spanish Flu in 1918-1919.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The GOP is too divided to come up with anything constructive they can agree on. They are only good at saying, NO, but now that they have control of both the Legislative and Executive branches of the government they are expected to govern. They can't as they cannot agree on anything. If the Democrats are smart they will simply sit and watch the Republican meltdown.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GOP knows they have a historic opportunity to reform health care and with it, Medicaid. I don't think they will blow it. They will hash out their differences and get something passed.

BTW, it's the Democrats that are melting down. Look at all the congressional seats, both national and on the state level they've lost in the past 6 years or so.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They will be getting aplan approved, as trump realizes in His and america best interest to kill off Obama Care!

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the good laugh. I needed it. It has been a long, busy, tiring day.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed the GOP has a historic opportunity and I fully believe they will blow it. They are too divided to do anything rational or constructive.

On your second point. It is history in reverse. Under Carter it was the opposite and we saw what happened over the next few decades.

Trump, like Cater, is a transitional president and transitional presidents never get much done. It is not Trump's fault. Like Carter he is the victim of history and times changing.

10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carter was incompetent.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dems are united,but pretty much hold to a godless un american viewpoint!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Which is not nearly enough. It's like waiting to buy car insurance until you have an accident, and then be willing to pay a bit more now that you need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Calminian

Site Supporter

From what I can tell, the real issue here is doing this thing incrementally (Trump/Ryan) or doing it all at once (Rand Paul). It appears that Ryan and Paul want the same things, Ryan just wants to do part of it in a way that avoids the filibuster rule. So he's divided the bill.

It seems Trump sees the wisdom in this also. The worrisome part is, Rand Paul and his supporters are trashing the first phase as incomplete (which it is) but are not acknowledging it is just the first phase. They're playing politics a bit. But if they get their way, and do this all at once, the democrats will be able filibuster it and we don't have the 60 votes to block.

Trump definitely has his work cut out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A phased approach will not work. The GOP has one shot and one shot only to take down Obamacare and they are wasting it. 2018 is not that far away and if the GOP does not deliver on what they have been running on since 2010 they will lose. You can't keep promising and than moving the goalpost indefinitely. They passed a full repeal when Obama was still president, which now is being shown to be political play, knowing that it would die on Obama's desk, yet now when they have a President who will sign it they play the phased approach, which again is pure politics. They want their base to be so concerned about the next battle that they don't notice how the current battle is going. Ironic that the one good thing I actually thought would happen when Trump won looks to be going down in flames because the GOP lacks a backbone (should have realized that at the convention).
    We need a conservative party given how the Democrats are Crazy and the Republican are Dems light, with neither wanting to make the government smaller and run according to Constitution.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't worry, the Republican Congress will come up with a plan and Ryan (or Pence) will do a verbal tap dance across the house floor convincing everyone that it is not a phased approach and then give the 12 dates of each "enhancement".

HankD

16. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My trust in the GOP has been dropping dramatically since the convention and this made it drop even faster. They need to do what they have promised since 2010 and that is repeal Obamacare end of story. No phases, no 12 step process just repeal.

As I said we need a new party that is actually conservative and wants to go by the Constitution since the GOP does not have the backbone for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm game but it may be too late.

HankD

18. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has to be a phased transition. An outright repeal would be filibustered by the Democrats, and the Republicans don't have the 60 votes for cloture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except they have passed a repeal bill using reconciliation, which only requires 51 votes.
    source

The GOP has a very short window of time, and it is closing. Midterms are never kind to the sitting party. There is not time for a phased approach. I think this is a way for Trump and the GOPe to destroy the conservative wing of the party once and for all, especially given that Trump is already threatening conservative Republicans who won't vote for Obamacare lite, which will not help the GOP hold on to its majority during the midterms.

20. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more thought on this. The filibuster will always be a threat at every phase, which means it can never be repealed if they don't do it all at once. The GOP will not get a 60 seat majority, because as I said midterms are never kind to the party in power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.