1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I know this horse is dead as dead can be....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by timdabap, Mar 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 20:30 will do for starters. 'It is paid.'

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 20:30, that Jesus "did many other signs" is not a "fill in the blank" verse. Mormons can say this means He went to America and gave the natives a different way.

As far as the "debt" to the Law, yes...this was canceled (not "paid by Jesus instead of us paying it"). You are again adding to Scripture. Jesus fulfilled the Law...nailed it to the cross. No condemnation.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, we are shown by the law of the trespass offering, that the debts incurred by sin are paid.

That's what trespass is...debt. And Jesus is our trespass offering.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not dismissed the passages you have provided. I dismissed what you have added to those passages.

I once held your theory (actually, for most of my Christian life). I am not sure why you believe my position is "weird", but I suppose I woukd have when I held your view as well.

You are wrong that I am pushing doctrine few hold. The vast majority of Christians throughout history held-holds my view insofar as we have discussed. The only exceptions are RCC doctrine and the Reformed RCC doctrine.

Within my view there are disagreements in interpretations and focus. Certainly there are differences in application (traditional Anabaptist doctrine, for example). BUT it is the majority Christian view. That it sounds so odd to you is a bit telling.

Just set aside your tradition and read Scripture, ar least once, for what is actually writen.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry! I meant to write John 19:30.

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, you present a view that you cannot even explain or share in a succinct way. There have been multiple threads and all you have done is muddy the waters without and clear argument. Instead you present a negative, mainly that you don't believe Jesus substituted for anyone, but somehow, just by people proclaiming they have faith, that means people are clean. Jon, I am not sure, in your view, that Jesus even had to die. I think not. I think that, according to your view, the cross was not necessary. Now, I could be wrong, but after weeks of these threads, I still have no clue what you actually believe. I only know that you are very condescending on anyone who believes Jesus is their substitute, telling them that you once were ignorant, but now am enlightened to a position you can't actually explain, but is the only true view.
    So, while whatever it is you believe, you have not actually taught anything, but you have managed to tell everyone that they are unenlightened and ignorant. If that's what you were going for...well done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I absolutely agree with that passage.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand what is so difficult for you to understand (even if you disagree with) my position.

I never once said a proclamation of faith makes people clean. That is about as silly as saying having another person suffer your punishment makes you clean.

The law is clear. People cannot be "made clean". Scripture is clear. The unrighteous dies and is re-created. Those born of the Spirit are clean because they are reborn (new creations, born again, born from above).

Here it is....again:

1. Mankind was in bondage to (slaves to) sin and death.

2. God sent His Son, the Word became flesh, shared our infirmity, bore our sins, became a curse for us.

3. The wicked caused Christ to suffer and die. This was in accordance with God's will (He was pleased to crush Him, God's predetermined plan).

4. God vindicated His Son (raised Him, gave Him a name above every name).

5. The flesh cannot please God. Man must be born again, made new creations.

6. God is just (man must die to the flesh, the "old man" must die, and be re-created) and the justifier of sinners (men ate born of the Spirit, they dhare in Christ's death and resurrection).

7. This is God's righteousness manifested apart from the law.

What you find confusing is the simplicity of Scripture (God does not conform to the wisdom of this world).

You are working off of Renaissance moral philosophy (arguments), ascribing to God a need to punish in order to be just. But God chose another way - rebirth. All flesh still dies, but we have a spiritual life in Christ Jesus.

9. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, stop projecting some Renaissance garbage.
    Second, you completely ignore God and His covenants. You ignore the Exodus and the wandering in the wilderness and the foreshadowing that all the Old Covenant provides about Jesus. It's as if all that either doesn't exist or is irrelevant to you.
    Third, your seven points are not coherent with scripture. No doubt you have these seven points and then look around the Bible to try make the Bible fit your seven points, but you will be completely disjointed.
    Jesus and all the New Covenant writers fully connect the Old Covenant foreshadowing to Christ. You completely ignore it and create something you feel good about, but provide empty scripture to support.

So, I suggest your view is biblically incomplete, not held by the New Covenant writers, not held by the early church fathers and is in fact empty of any spiritual value to the Christian life.

You are free to hold a biblically weak theory that ignores the whole of God's word and has no connection to the New Covenant writers, but stop telling me and others that my view is somehow a Renaissance view not expressed in scripture. That claim of yours is pure bullocks and poppy cock. It is more empty than your theory of atonement.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or Scripture is correct and it is the righteousness of God manifested apart from the law.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not Renaissance garbage. Were John Calvin not a student of humanistic moral philosophy (law) then you would not have the faith you mow have.

Your view is not expressed in Scripture. It is based on a judicial moral philosophy. You do not have to accept that fact, but your denial does not change it.

This is evidenced in the fact that your faith is not actually found in Scripture.

You think it is taught by the Biblw, but you can only compare it to what you choose to believe is taught (you cannot test it against God's Word).

There is a reason that the test of Scripture, God's Word without adding your philosophy and theories of how your philosophy is fulfilled, appears to you as nonsense. To you it is pure bullocks and poppy cock simply because Scripture does not meet the requirements of worldly wisdom.

God tells you how Christ fulfilled the law, how the debt of the law was canceled how man must be born anew. But like Nicodemus you stand bewildered, insisting God must acquiessce to your moral philosophy. So you allow yourself to be carried away by vain philosophy while the text of Scripture lay out right before your eyes. Seeing you do not see. Hearing you do not hear.

Just lay aside your traditions and philosophy. Just for a day. And read God's Word as if God were teaching you what is actually written in its text.

As far as my view, it is the Christian view that persevered throughout history. It is the overarching view of the Early Church up to this day. It is the majority view among believers. But you seem content to settle for reformed Roman Catholicism. Twice now you outright rejected Scripture in favor of philosophy. Why is that?

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

By what basis can God the father justify a lost sinner and yet still remain Holy?

13. JesusFan

Jesus remained Holy and sinless, and yet our sins were imputed to Him, and thus our due wrath and judgement for those sins!

14. JesusFan

Again he fails to address just on what basis God is provided the means to justify and save us, and still remain Holy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JesusFan

Still not address where the due wrath and judgement of God towards us as sinners went!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JesusFan

God the Father justifies us on what basis?

17. JesusFan

God CANNOT grant us a new birth unless His demands for sin and his wrath and judgement against us are accounted for though!

18. JesusFan

THAT is the basis for justification that those critics of Psa refuse to accept!

19. JesusFan

He gave to us true Pauline Justification!

20. JesusFan

Another insult, no thanks JonC

No..not buying that. Do not worry about me...I am right where God wants me to be.

Another sanctimonious insult. No thanks JonC, I have both ,thanks...if I need your input I will ask for it, thanks, but no thanks.

Another sanctimonious insult. No thanks JonC, I have both ,thanks...if I need your input I will ask for it, thanks, but no thanks.

It is, that is why some of us actually work at understanding it.

Another sanctimonious insult. No thanks JonC, I have both ,thanks...if I need your input I will ask for it, thanks, but no thanks.[/QUOTE]
    He is really parroting NT Wright and hnis ilk here on the Atonement, and we prefer to stay with thnose such as a Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Gill, Berkhof, Hodge, etc then them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.