1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is believing/faith a work ?2

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brightfame52, Dec 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with Jn 3:16

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I provided the scripture showing Cornelius already was God-fearing.
    Are you unaware that Peter was about to do something similar at the Transfiguration when he saw Moses and Elijah? John was going to do something similar in the Revelation when he saw the angel.
    Point is...you are projecting onto the passage what you want it to be, not what it actually teaches.
    Moreso, you are rejecting multiple theological passages where redemption is clearly expressed, while clinging to a passage that provides no theological expression...only because you imagine it is a crutch you can use to prop up an imaginary theology your pope invented.
    Read your entire Bible and get rid of your RCC false teaching.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can make the scriptures teach anything by ignoring context. Religions often/always do. This is the reason we have so many divisions. Here is something that is true and provable from Ga 3 and other places in scripture. Salvation is not an inheritance, it is a gift. Gifts must be received and when it happens ownership changes hands.One may have a gift prepared for someone and offer it to them only to have it refused. In that case the intended recipient did not receive it and it remained the possession of the one who bought it. This is as simple as 1, 2, 3. It is logic and reason and receiving it requires both, along with a third thing, a will. Inheritance is for children of God only. How does one become a child of God? By being born again. How is a man born again? By believing in the crucified and resurrected Jesus Christ, who paid the debt of sin, which is death, and now lives for ever by the resurrection. The life he gives to us who will receive it is eternal life, his life, which is his very own Spirit. How do we receive it? (In him was life; and the life was the light of men Jn 1:4). Now we can go to the context of Ga 3 for this answer. Watch it here;

Ga 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

The blessing of the Abrahamic covenant on the nations is the gift of the Spirit of Christ, who is eternal life. He is 'eternal' Life because once he is received he will never leave us or forsake us and the promise is that there is no condemnation to them who are in Christ.

These are some wonderful and everlasting truths and just thinking about them is exciting.

4. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God fearing does not get the job done. When Peter answered the questions of the Jerusalem elders (that included the apostles) of why he went to a gentile home he recounted the whole story. He said two things about this meeting that is pertinent here. First, he said that this event of the first gentile getting saved was the fulfillment of the prophecy of John the Baptist, and it was a result of it. I think in this instance I should quote it to you lest you think I am in left field.

Lets start here in the historical narrative:

Ac 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
    14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
    16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
    17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as [he did] unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

The beginning was in Acts chapter 2 when the Spirit was poured out on the Jews which was ten years earlier. Baptism of the Spirit was not them getting saved but him being poured out from heaven on gentiles so they can be saved. And so it is brought to pass the saying in John 1
    11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
    12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
    13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Second, Cornelius nor any other gentile could have been saved until God gave the Spirit. It was the grace of God that poured out the Spirit on gentiles as he had earlier on the Jews. And now because of the abundance of the Spirit and his analogy of water, all sinners everywhere can drink and be saved by his presence in their mortal bodies. This is what Peter said to the Jews in Acts 11.

Joh 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
    38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified)

Re 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

The water is free and deep and one need only open their mouths and drink because being in the water will not save anyone, the water must be in you. You must drink (believe).

5. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see how your verses show Cornelius wasn't a proselyte.
    Second, many, many non-Jews had already been justified by faith before Cornelius.

Daniel 4:34-35,37
    “After this time had passed, I, Nebuchadnezzar, looked up to heaven. My sanity returned, and I praised and worshiped the Most High and honored the one who lives forever. His rule is everlasting, and his kingdom is eternal. All the people of the earth are nothing compared to him. He does as he pleases among the angels of heaven and among the people of the earth. No one can stop him or say to him, ‘What do you mean by doing these things?’

“Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and glorify and honor the King of heaven. All his acts are just and true, and he is able to humble the proud.”

The Spirit was given to Cornelius and his household as a sign to Peter that the New Covenant was given to all nations, tribes, and tongues.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word you are looking for is 'grace' - God's unmerited favour in the face of active demerit.

7. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was not my intent to show Cornelius was not a proselyte. It was my intent to show that it does not matter whether he was a proselyte or not in the matter of salvation. Fifteen hundred previous years of Law keeping proved that the law could not save anybody and only a small remnant of natural born law keeping Jews were finally saved. I will observe that it would have been very difficult for a Roman soldier to keep the Law of Moses, which included temple worship, keeping the feast days of Israel along with the Festivals and the sabbaths.and here this man is presented to us in good standing with the Roman government. Common sense says there had to be some conflicts between God's law and Caesar's law somewhere along the way.

No, the Law of Moses served it's purpose, which is stated here;

Ga 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
    22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
    23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
    24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
    26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Now, the promise by faith of Jesus Christ of verse 22 above is clearly identified as the Spirit in this chapter. I am going to quote the identification in a single verse.

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Galatians chapter three and the verses I have been quoting to you are a contrast between the Abrahamic Covenant and the Mosaic Covenant. The covenant with Abraham is promises of God without Abraham doing anything to secure the promises but believe them. The Abrahamic Covenant was eternal and depended upon the faithfulness of God to him while the Mosaic Covenant was a temporary codicil to the covenant and depended upon their faithfulness as the people of God and a nation to God. God did not fail but Israel did. The proof that God did not fail is that he sent his Spirit through Christ to bless Abraham and his natural seed first and by extension the nations of the world in spite of their failure.

Here is the blessing of Verse 14 above from the Abrahamic Covenant.

1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
    2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
    3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Here is the contrast between the Abrahamic and the Mosaic covenants in Ga 3.

15 Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though [it be] but a man’s covenant, yet [if it be] confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
    16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
    17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, (the Mosaic Covenant) which was four hundred and thirty years after (the Abrahamic Covenant), cannot disannul (the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant), that it (Mosaic Covenant) should make the promise of none effect.
    18 For if the inheritance [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise.
    19 Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Paul argues that the blessings of the Abrahamic covenant on Israel and the nations through Jesus Christ proves the faithfulness of God. Two legitimate principles of God's divine dealing are contrasted here. When Jesus came it ended the operative principle of God's dealing with Israel, the law, and opened up his opportunity to deal with both Israel and the nations under the divine principle of faith. Not just faith as a principle but specifically faith in Jesus Christ as the condition for the Abrahamic Covenant blessing.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ (which is his Spirit) might be given to them that believe.
    23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
    24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
    26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
    27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
    28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
    29 And if ye [be] Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

There is NO conflict in Ga 3 and the events of Acts 10 but there is explanation. The faithful God has included the nations in his blessing beginning at Cornelius the Roman.

With due respect to you AustinC, you must adjust your thinking if you will understand these great truths of God.

8. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again, bingo! He was not only God-fearing, but he also pleased God, sought God and was righteous...all before being regenerated. For Cornelius...

- Had not heard the Gospel
    - Had not received the Holy Ghost
    - Tried to worship Peter

Cornelius does that which the Reformed's Ordo Salutis says is impossible. According to Reformed theology, Cornelius was the equivalent of a spiritual corpse, totally incapable of responding, seeking, pleasing let alone being RIGHTEOUS before God.

It isn't an imaginary pope teaching Cornelius pleased God, sought God and was righteous. It is the very word of God via St. Luke.

Cornelius demonstrates the fallaciousness of Reformed theology.

9. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The word I am looking for is faith. God asks something of man. That something is faith.

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for clarifying your point, which I highlighted in bold. This is what confused me.
    I am happy to see you correctly understand the covenants (Abrahamic and Mosaic). We agree. Therefore, your last paragraph is moot.

11. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    This promotes salvation by works, by what a person does.

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Cornelius was justified by works, he had something to boast about, but not before God (Romans 4:2). The Lord Jesus specifically says that He did not come to call the righteous (Mark 2:27), so if Cornelius was righteous, he has nothing to do with Christ. The Pharisee in Luke 18:9-14 prayed; he was, by his own account, honest, just, faithful to his wife; he fasted regularly and tithed all his possessions. Yet he was not justified by God. We need a greater righteousness than that if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:20). We need the perfect, spotless righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ which comes from God alone, by grace alone, through faith alone.

Cornelius was a sinner in need of a Saviour, and God, in His mercy, sent Peter to bring him the good news of Jesus Christ

It is certain that no one is saved without believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. The problem is that unless God does a prior work on a man's heart he will not believe. 'But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned' (1 Corinthians 2:14). Such a man may well be very religious; he may very well strive to establish his own righteousness, but one cannot get right with God that way (c.f. Romans 10:2-3). Nor will such a man repent of his darling sins (John 3:19). A man must be born anew (or 'from above') before he can so much as see the kingdom of God, much less enter it.
    Look for a moment at John 1:14.
    One is born again,
    'Not of blood.....' Being born into a Christian family is great, but it cannot save you.
    'Nor of the will of the flesh.....' Your own fallen human will cannot help you.
    'Nor of the will of man......' Nor can any other human agency give you new birth. It is not in the encouragement of a parent, nor in the words of the preacher, nor in the incantations of the priest, nor the ministrations of the social worker. It is
    'Of God.' Of Him alone. From Him comes the New Birth; from Him comes repentance (Acts of the Apostles 11:18 etc.); from Him comes faith (Acts of the Apostles 13:48; Ephesians 2:8 etc.).

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For the umpteenth time, Cornelius is the perfect example of the fallaciousness of the Reformed’s Ordo Salutis.

According to Reformed theology, Cornelius was a spiritual corpse. Yet, he pleased God, God heard his prayer, and he was righteous, all while unregenerate.

Cornelius does that which Reformed theology says is impossible.

14. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you just go on repeating that? Did you read that article I posted? I mean this is really bad. Those reformers who took on the Catholic Church, the Arminians, the Socinians, the Pelagians the Radical Anabaptists now have to give it all up because they have been owned by the brilliant wit in 2022 of Campion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is nothing new under the Sun. Calvin’s theology was refuted from its genesis. There is a reason they are the outliers in the word of Protestantism.

16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you understand the words in texts like the following?

1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Ro 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Tit 1:4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

Phm 1:10 I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:

It is my humble view that one cannot be wrong about the person and work of Jesus Christ and how to enter through the strait gate that leads to life. If you are right about him then I do not have the slightest of chances of getting to heaven because you rarely say anything that I believe is true, especially that faith is a work and that sinners can choose what color of socks they wear but do not have the capacity to choose to trust in the shed blood of Jesus Christ and be saved after hearing the whole story about him.

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you understand these verses?

Hebrews 9:15-17; 27-28
    That is why he is the one who mediates a new covenant between God and people, so that all who are called can receive the eternal inheritance God has promised them. For Christ died to set them free from the penalty of the sins they had committed under that first covenant.

Now
    when someone leaves a will, it is necessary to prove that the person who made it is dead. The will goes into effect only after the person’s death. While the person who made it is still alive, the will cannot be put into effect.

And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment, so also Christ was offered once for all time as a sacrifice to take away the sins of
    many people. He will come again, not to deal with our sins, but to bring salvation to all who are eagerly waiting for him.

Here's how I understand this.

Jesus, as High Priest, mediated a will (covenant [the greek word is the same]) between God and man. When Jesus died, that will went into effect. The person who wrote the will (God) chose the persons to whom He would give an inheritance. The list of people whom God chose is many. When a person makes a will, the recipient may not even know that they have been named in the will. But upon death, the mediator of the will reads off the information to the recipients of the inheritance.

This is what Jesus did for all whom the Father gave him. Every person written into the will receives the gift of salvation and the faith to believe. It happens precisely because God chose to do this.

Ephesians 1:3-14
    All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son. He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding.

God has now revealed to us his mysterious will regarding Christ—which is to fulfill his own good plan. And this is the plan: At the right time he will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth. Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.

God’s purpose was that we Jews who were the first to trust in Christ would bring praise and glory to God. And now you Gentiles have also heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago. The Spirit is God’s guarantee that he will give us the inheritance he promised and that he has purchased us to be his own people. He did this so we would praise and glorify him.

JD, please do not close your eyes to scripture. God is clear on this. You have to reconcile what you wish was true with what is taught as truth in the Bible. You have to submit your pride and stubbornness under God's authority. It is a blessing when one can accept what God teaches.

18. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith is a work, a act of the mind which gives assent, recognition, acknowledgement to Gods Testimony.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    ??? Care to explain your assertion in light of scripture?
    Hebrews 11:1
    Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

Hebrews 12:2
    We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

Galatians 5:22-23
    But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

20. Campion

Campion Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bingo...Exactly right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.