1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God Insincere With The Gospel Offer?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're just splitting hairs now guys.
    One thing is certain: God offering a man a false offer of salvation makes God a cruel deceiver of the worst sort.
    Calvinism is a slander to God's character made palatable by the supposed great humility which that heresy allows a man to claim.

2. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. I was focusing on one point. About that:

1) "untold billions"? Where do you get that?
    2) A very very small minority never heard. If a man never heard, it's because he wasn't honest enough with the 2 witnesses that God gives to every man: creation and conscience. If a man isn't honest with those 2 witnesses, then God is under no obligation to provide further light. I.e. the man who never heard, never heard because he showed he didn't want to hear the 3rd witness by refusing the first 2 witnesses.
    Cornelius for example was honest with the light he had, so God sent him a preacher.
    I know of a man in Iran who turned to Christ by reading his Qur'an.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like a distinction without a difference to me.

Just like your belief God wants us to give an insincere offer of salvation to those God knows will reject the gospel.

There is no real difference between your position and the reform position on the matter of “insincere” offer of salvation.

peace to you

4. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    That doesn't mean that, for example, an omni-potent fiend is automatically righteous even when he does evil.

God must still be righteous, as well as omni-potent.

The reply of O man, who art thou is to a man arguing that it's not just of God not to save him even though he follows the works of the law whereas he saves the man who doesn't work - not to a man arguing that it is not just of God to randomly choose people without a criterion.
    Paul tells you at the end of the chapter that there is a criterion, and that criterion of selection is not works, but faith.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, God tells us to make that offer of salvation to people He knows will reject it.

How does that not make your view the same as the reformed position on he issue of an “insincere” offer of salvation?

peace to you

6. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because he knows he will reject the offer doesn't make it insincere. You know that.

7. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry there is no point in going any further on this as it is clear that you really don't understand what you are saying as it is out of your depth

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are simply wrong. The criterion for salvation is God’s choice and that is the point of the chapter.

peace to you

9. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reformed view is that God so constituted mankind in fallen Adam as to render man unable even to see his fallen condition.
    It's like drugging a man unconscious then burning him eternally for refusing to answer your call while he was unconscious.
    That is WORLDS away from pleading with a conscious man to answer your call which he willingly rejects.

10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree, sir.

My response indicates that the Lord will have mercy upon whom He will have mercy ( Exodus 33:19, Romans 9:14-18 ), SBG.
    While I believe that He does indeed desire to save a representative portion of the human race ( rather than cast us all into eternal punishment ) I no longer believe ( like I did some 20 years ago ) that His will is to see each and every sinner saved.

11. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well let's ask the guy who wrote the chapter. Just check PAUL'S CONCLUSION:

Rom 9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of FAITH.
    Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

Rom 9:32 WHEREFORE?

Oh, I know! I know! Because of God's eternal decree of unconditional election?!

No:

Because they sought it not by FAITH, but as it were by the WORKS of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
    Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and WHOSOEVER
    [NOT THE "ELECT"] BELIEVETH on him shall not be ashamed.

The conclusion must interpret the development. Calvinism gets so lost in the development of the chapter that it forgets Paul's own conclusion of what he just said.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what I’m saying and so do you. You can’t answer the questions, you won’t even try. Only possible reason is you can’t.

Just explain why your position that God tells us to proclaim the gospel to those He knows will reject it is not an insincere offer of salvation but the reformed position is an insincere offer?

I’ll wait patiently over here and out of my depth.

Peace to you

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one denies that God is "sovereign" is setting his own criteria of salvation. But there are still criteria. Paul literally concludes that chapter by saying that the criterion is "faith".

14. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recognize the truth of Romans 1:18-32, Romans 3:10-18 and many others, Van.

That we as men are dead, and the only way that any of us seek Him is because of His work.
    Quite the contrary.
    See my above.

Seeking the Lord and His ways is a matter of the heart, not a matter of outward obedience.

15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that they were entering the kingdom, because God had mercy on them and they were / are His elect.
    In other words, nothing they did, in and of themselves, ever resulted in the Lord granting them His favor.

For a good example of this, see the book of Ruth.
    Firstly, I'm not a "Calvinist" as I don't follow John Calvin.
    But you are free to pin me with any label that you like.;)

Secondly,
    Instead of changing the subject, why not answer post # 108 where I pointed out your changing of the words of Scripture?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and what a relief that was...

17. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh:Roflmao

18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry George, but I disagree.

The criterion is not faith, which is a benefit of being saved, but is rather God's purposes according to election ( Romans 9:11 ).
    Paul literally spells it out in Romans 1 through Romans 11.
    He tells the Roman believers why they have the faith that they have, which distinguishes them from the unbelievers around them.

The reason why people believe is because of God's work in a willfully rebellious sinner, drawing them to Himself in a merciful act of His grace.
    The Lord Jesus tells us the same things in Matthew 11, Matthew 13, John 3, John 6, John 8, John 10 and many other places.

If you are unable to see that, then I am sorry, sir.

19. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is a man capable of accepting the offer of salvation if God already knows he will reject it? Of course not.

Your position is no different from the reformed position on the issue of whether the offer is “insincere”.

peace to you

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. No answer. No attempt to answer.

Looks like it’s time to ignore the fact you can’t answer and start another thread attacking reformed theology.

bananas

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.