1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Unbelief a sin ?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brightfame52, Aug 31, 2024.

1. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, by all means and it's illustrated by the unbelief of the jews who departed from egypt Heb 3:16-19. Now notice vs 17 " them that had sinned" are them that believed not in vs 18-19, the sin was believing not or unbelief.

16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.

17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?

18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?

19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

So now when Paul preached that Christ died for our sins 1 Cor 15:3, and yet that didn't include their sin of unbelief, then he lied on Christ. The point is this, if Christ died for our sins, then He died for our unbelief, and we can't be condemned for it as some are Jn 3:18

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Now proof positive that unbelievers Christ died for can not be condemned for unbelief is Rom 5:10, that while we were enemies and unbelievers obviously, we still had been reconciled to God by the death of His Son, which is not the case if we are under condemnation for unbelief.

2. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This probably just shows that "theology" has limits.
    If the reason they could not enter in was unbelief then you could assume that election or non-election was not the reason.
    One could assume that God delivered everyone, but because of refusing to believe, some were not saved.
    Owen used this argument against the Arminians. But Owen also believed that the "offer" of salvation is to everyone. If your theology doesn't agree with that then it would be logical to figure that a non-offer refused is no offense. Owen was a staunch Calvinist but taught that the greatest offense a man could do was to refuse to believe. But for that to make any sense it has to be true that there is a real offer of salvation upon belief.

3. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    @DaveXR650

Thats beside the point, the point is that unbelief is a sin. And Christ died for the sins of the elect or those He died for, hence unbelief cant be a cause of condemnation for anyone Christ died for, no sin for all that matter.

4. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it seems like you are trying to make a case for taking away faith as a condition of reconciliation with Christ. Unbelievers that Christ died for (which includes everyone I think), become part of all this by faith. It's how they link up to the benefits of Christ's atonement. I don't have a problem that God brings about faith in some manner in those who are elect but it almost sounds like you are suggesting that salvation can occur without faith.

5. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why them Christ died for cant die in unbelief !

Jesus once said Jn 10:26

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

In other words, if they were of His Sheep that He came to live and die in behalf of, they would believe on Him, or they would become believers. Now why is that so ?

Because Christ has came and fulfilled the Law for them, and hence its written Rom 10: 4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

When Christ came in the flesh, He came to fulfill the Law for all them He represented, them which had been given Him of His Father. He in their names and stead did obey Gods Law for them, it was in His Heart to do so Heb 10:7-9

7Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Now this actually was taken from a Psalm 40:7-8

7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,

8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Now what needs to be understood is that Christ did this not as a single private person, but as an Surety Head Representative, like Adam was in the beginning. Now, Christ did successfully do and keep and fulfill the Law for all whom He represented, being totally obedient to all of its righteous precepts.

Now remember when Jesus made this statement Matt 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Well these weightier matters of the Law, Judgment, Mercy, and Faith He did , kept and obeyed for them He came in the flesh for.

Luke writes Lk 11:42

But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Basically what Jesus is saying that these false people of God neglected to do is this Matt 22:36-40

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

So Jesus has fully fulfilled these Two commandments for all whom He came to live and die for !

He has for them #1. "loved the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind

#2. Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Now understand, When He did this, these Two things, He did them in behalf of His People He came to live and die for, He kept the Law of God perfectly for them, and God reckons it so as if they did it themselves, as it was in Adam, when he sinned against Gods Law, when he sinned, all sinned with him, so it is with Christ, when He obeyed, all in Him obeyed.

Now within Christ's Obedience to Gods Law was His Faith and Love to God Matt 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Christ in His suretyship obedience to Gods Law in the behalf of His people could not have obeyed without Faith, for in fact, its impossible to please God apart from it Heb 11:6. Christ had Faith as it is written Heb 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

As the Author of Faith, it means several things, one being this. The word author in the original is the greek word archēgos and means:

the chief leader, prince
    of Christ

one that takes the lead in any thing and thus affords an example, a predecessor in a matter, pioneer
    the author

He was the example of Faith in God !

So therefore He had Faith in keeping the Law of God for His People, Hence His Peoples Faith began in Him, when He kept the Law for them.

So that's why its impossible for anyone Christ Lived and died for can live and die in unbelief, seeing they have already in their Surety Head believed ! Its just as sure as not one person Adam represented in his sin for them, can not be born a sinner, to manifest their union with adam when he sinned, and so it is with Christ, not one sinner He lived and died for can live and die without Faith to manifest their union with Christ !

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, possibly the MAJORITY of God's elect do not enter into (or remain in) the Sabbath Rest (not heaven above) due to disobedience.

7. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why them Christ died for cant die in unbelief !2

That those Adam represented were made sinners by his disobedience Rom 5:19 a

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

They had to be manifested as sinners, So likewise, those whom Christ represented and by His Obedience to the Law, keeping it in Faith, they are made believers, to manifest as believers.

You see, to deny this is tantamount to saying that Christ did not keep the Law for them ! And to say that is to say He didn't die for them. In essence Faith in Christ is an manifestation that Christ did in ones behalf and stead, obeyed Gods Law for them !

Because His Faith was their Faith, they receive in the New Birth the Faith of the Son of God, Pauls meaning here Gal 2:20

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

In other words, the Faith of the Son of God believers live by is the direct result and effect of Christ Loving them, and giving Himself for them. His Faith was theirs, and so its communicated to them by measure in the New Birth. Rom 12:3

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Faith is the Gift from the Son of God, and its given to each of His Body members He lived and died for as representative ! So in conclusion, if one lives and dies in unbelief, the answer is simple, he or she was not of the Sheep Christ Lived and died for Jn 10:26 !

8. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    If sinners Christ died for still die in unbelief, it would contradict the very purpose of mercy. See God concluded all His Chosen People in Unbelief ! And what for ? This scripture tells us Rom 11:23

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. Now whose the All ? Why he told us in Rom 9:23-24

And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

God in His Eternal Purpose in Christ, enclosed the His elect into unbelief, so that, for the purpose of being able to show them mercy, compassion in that state of unbelief/disobedience, not to condemn them for it, as many false teachers teach today, that God condemns sinners Christ died for, for unbelief ! Thats the biggest lie ever told !

Paul is an example of how God has mercy upon His Elect for their unbelief. Remember Pauls testimony of all what he did in unbelief 1 Tim 1:12-13

12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;

13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Paul as all other Vessels of Mercy, obtain, receive mercy in their unbelief ! Thats what Paul means in Rom 11:23

For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Paul was not broken off because of Unbelief as many other jews were his contemporaries Rom 11:20

Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

But Paul along with other Vessels of Mercy, not just among the jews, but also among the Gentiles Rom 9:23-24

And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

So its not even possible for those whom Christ died should die in or be condemned for unbelief, their unbelief obtains the Mercy of God upon them !

9. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where theology falls short and probably why the Bible is not written in the form of theology. These arguments always come to a dead end with human knowledge.

If you are really into the idea that God is in charge of all events you will have no trouble believing that God will just as much decree that those Christ died for are the exact same people as those that will believe. So you cannot present an argument that someone might not believe yet Christ died for them. Owen, in arguing with the Arminians did that, which is unfortunate. He also said that unbelief is the worst sin a human can do against God, worse that the demons, because at least the demons were never offered salvation on the condition of belief. Go figure.

And the other argument would be that Christ either died or he didn't. He did, and we, being human and mortal, are confronted with this at a point of time in our short lives. Speculation of how all this works from God's eternal standpoint doesn't change the reality of this that we face in real time. Which is why the Puritans, like Owen, many of whom were high Calvinists in theology, had no problem warning people to respond to the gospel now, without delay, lest you offend God and he withdraw grace. This sounds to me a lot like a fundamentalist Baptist preacher, at least in the old days.

10. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ died for unbelief, so one He died for cant die in their sins in unbelief as these can Jn 8:24

24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Thats because if they remain in unbelief its indicative they were not one of His Sheep He died for, hence they are condemned by the law.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you'll notice in the passage he's referencing, the reason that Israel could not enter into the Promised Land was because of unbelief.
    It had nothing to do with their election or non-election to eternal life.

Unbelief is a sin, and the Lord Jesus went to the cross for all the sins of God's elect...
    While they were yet sinners ( in unbelief ), He died for them ( please see Romans 5 ).

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spot on! The Promised Land (Land of Milk & Honey) in the Exodus Motif does not represent heaven above, it's the Sabbath Rest, i.e., reposing in the kingdom of God, here, on earth, now, Romans 14:17.