AntennaFarmer
Member
Deacon said:Warning whistles blow! Whoo, Whoo,
No fair, you're going back to the original Greek. :tongue3:
Rob
Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Deacon said:Warning whistles blow! Whoo, Whoo,
No fair, you're going back to the original Greek. :tongue3:
Rob
I have heard this before, and seems that the basis is that "at" following the verb implies that the action may be ineffective upon the substantive.AntennaFarmer said:Atis a preposition provided by the translator to connect the verb (action) to the following substantive (noun). Here the noun is to strain (filter). The substantive is the gnat. This is much the same sense as in: "I will shoot three arrows to the side of it, as though I were shooting at a target." 1Sa 20:20 (NIV). Someone will object that at implies direction. That is not always true. An example would be: "Let's have a go at surfing." Ask a teenager if he has any problem understanding that!
AntennaFarmer said:...There is no corresponding word to out in the Greek original...
Well, it seems that many individuals seem to know absolutely that "strain at" is not wrong while at the very same time there is collectively great uncertainty as to the reason it is right.AntennaFarmer said:I am afraid that the actual answer is simpler than it appears. The KJV reading in Matthew 23:24 is neither a translation error, a misprint nor even archaic. It is good English...
Here Lamsa follows the unique translation of "strain at" from the KJV (again, as I have contended in another topic).O blind guides, who strain at gnats, and swallow camels.
Evidently, the "gnats" and "camels" are plural in the Peshitta version. The AEST avoids using any preposition.Blind guides! You strain the gnats, and swallow the camels.
The Rheims was contemporary to the AV. If this accurrately represents the Latin, then Christians worldwide using the Vulgate believed that the correct meaning was "strain out" for over 1000 years.Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel.
The Rheims underwent a major revision in the eighteenth century.franklinmonroe said:From the Rheims New Testament (an English translation of the Latin Vulgate)--
The Rheims was contemporary to the AV.Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel.
Thank you, Jerome. Do you know which is a more accurrate translation of the Latin? (original or revised)Jerome said:The original Rheims that was contemporary to the KJ translation has no out, but strain a gnat.
franklinmonroe said:I have heard this before, and seems that the basis is that "at" following the verb implies that the action may be ineffective upon the substantive.
AntennaFarmer said:...BTW: I had never heard of the eyestrain theory. The more common mistaken interpretation is to "gag on a gnat."
AntennaFarmer said:...I agree that some of the defenses are bad. Some of the attacks are sillier though...
franklinmonroe said:To be fair, there are a lot of folks (many cited) that are sure that "strain at" is wrong, but no consensus as to why it is wrong. A couple of reasons offered, and my opinion--
1) it is a misprint, a printer's error - false (there is evidence of intent)
2) it is a mistranslation - some evidence to show it was proper originally (an archaic phrase to us now, or still acceptable grammar)
Ed Edwards said:AntennaFarmer: //The more common mistaken interpretation is to "gag on a gnat."//
AntennaFarmer said:It sounds like we aren't too far apart on the question.
No. For what it is worth, both seem to adequately express the meaning of excolantes.franklinmonroe said:Thank you, Jerome. Do you know which is a more accurrate translation of the Latin? (original or revised)
franklinmonroe said:I'd like to thank kubel for originally starting this discussion.
kubel said:Don't thank me, thank Jerome, he provided a ton of useful info.![]()
robycop3 said:Actually, I see no cause for contention here, Bros! I believe we all know what it means, whether it says "at", "out", or "strain a gnat".