1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mass amnesty and more illegal immigration

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Logos1560, Jul 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Character? I don't know if she has had sex outside of marriage as Trump has done, but, if so, I would have a problem with that, just as I would have a problem with it if a member of Baptist Board has done such.

Past statements and positions? Obviously, yes, since I am a minarchist classical liberal libertarian, and she is not one, just as Trump is not one.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not particularly, although I did enjoy the 1949 movie, "The Fountainhead", based on her novel of the same name.

I also enjoyed the three-part film series made in the early 2010s, based on her novel, "Atlas Shrugged".

But, no, I am not a "Randian".

3. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So no comment on the rest of what I wrote. I take that as your agreement.
    Are you a Christian?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did I not address that you want me to address?

Yes.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not approve of sex outside of marriage, regardless of who does it.

7. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what are your reasons, as a Christian, to cast your vote for Harris? Just curious.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think voting without a problem with the character of the person is pretty much out the window.

Harris and Trump both lack character. They are both immoral people.

So we have to look at how they would address issues that concern us.

The issue is we do not know either of the candidate's platform insofar as details of how they would accomplish their stated goals.

When questioned these two simply lie.

Trump misrepresent his past. Harris lies about Trump. We get a "debate" where Harris merely goads Trump and Trump's ego makes him take the bait.

It really isn't really politics. It's personalities.

9. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with that. I was asking because the poster knew all the 'bad' things about Trump, would never vote for Trump, etc., but doesn't seem bothered about the negative things about Harris (her past political career which is available to this poster) and the absolute failure of the last 3.5 years of the current administration. It is a pretty sad state of affairs this country is in and the state of the political climate.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a sad state of affairs.

You bring up a very interesting question to @KenH . I am interesting in how he will answer. But I am also interested in your answer (I believe it is a question worth exploring).

You asked @KenH reasons, as a Christian, to cast his vote for Harris.

What are your reasons, as a Christian, to cast your vote for Trump?

11. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC. I never said I was voting for Trump. Just was curious why KenH was so hard on Trump, when Harris has a lot of baggage herself. Not sure who I will vote for yet. Have you made up your mind yet?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am supporting Vice President Harris, even though philosophy-of-government wise I am a minarchist classical liberal libertarian.

Why?

Because I am also opposed to the Big Government, National Conservatism of Donald Trump and his followers, as embodied by Project 2025. Kevin Roberts wrote a book to promote it and JD Vance wrote the foreword for it. It was pulled from publication after the details of Project 2025 started being exposed to the public. It has now been rescheduled to be published on November 12.

Patrick Henry long ago warned that the Constitution would lead to the office of the president becoming a king. It has pretty much become that during the 21st Century as the Republicans and Democrats in the Congress have ceded more and more power to the executive branch. Project 2025 would finish the job of making the office of president into a king.

In a Kamala Harris presidency, I will still be able to advocate for the more limited government policies I want. In a Trump-led Project 2025 “kingship”, that ability will be decimated.

I hope that if Trump is defeated on November 5, that the Freedom Conservatives(FreeCons) will be able to wrest control of the Republican Party from the National Conservatives(NatCons) in 2028 and return the GOP to being the party of Reagan as it was in 1980, instead of being the party of Trump.

13. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's nice. Not what I asked though. I asked, 'What are your reasons, as a Christian, to cast your vote for Harris?'. Thanks.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all a bunch of vile sinners voting for a bunch of other vile sinners to rule over us. In Adam, we rejected God's government in the Garden of Eden; thus, all human governments are inherently corrupt. We are not talking about some kind of pristine situation. Human governments are ordained by God to keep some semblance of order(however weak that order might be) on this fallen earth.

15. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Again, not what I asked though. Here it is again: I asked, 'What are your reasons, as a Christian, to cast your vote for Harris?'. Thanks.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have made up my mind.

As a Christian what do you see as the major issues that would get you to support a presidential candidate?

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we do not support sin.

For example, using the reasoning that we are sinners would not justify adulterous behavior.

@Mikoo has a very good question since we are commanded to "walk in the Spirit", to be conformed to the image of Christ.

I'm curious as to how Christians reconcile their voice and support for each candidate, particularly Trump and Harris.

I'd love to know the reasons Christians choose to support Harris or Trump.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vile sinners voting for other vile sinners to be rulers is immersed in sin from first to last, not the act of voting itself, but all of the people involved in the political process.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't get some of your reasons.

1. Opposition to big government does not connect with voting for the DNC (the DNC supports even a bigger federal government and more federal oversight). I'm with you on this readon, but I do not see the DNC as any better than the GOP.

2. Vance writing a forward to a book does not equate to Trump supporting the 2025 project. Writers often write forwards to books and we all know (or should know) that such is not an endorsement for every point of the book. It is dishonest to hold different standards because it is Vance who wrote the forward.

3. It is strange to think that a 78 year old man, who would be 82 at the end of his term if elected, woukd be a type of dictator when he was not in his last term. This reason is propaganda (just like replacing Trump's policy with the 2025 Project Trump rejected is propaganda).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really think that voting is tied to the gospel of Christ - that God chose His elect before the world began and gave them to His Son to be their Surety, and then to come to earth and live a perfectly righteous life to fulfill the law of God on their behalf and to die and pay for their sin debt, the elect's sins having been imputed to Christ and His perfect righteousness imputed to them.

I do not see anything in the gospel of Christ that informs God's elect as to what is the proper size, reach, and scope of government. I do not see anything in the gospel of Christ that informs God's elect as to whether or not government should be building roads, or funding schools, or funding welfare programs, or funding farmers, etc., etc., etc.

Therefore, I have no "gospel"-related reason to vote or not to vote, or to vote for any particular candidate. Voting is a carnal, secular activity, simply a means that God uses nowadays, in some countries, to install the rulers that He has already ordained to fill those positions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.