1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sanctification by God's Sovereign Grace as Opposed to "Lordship Salvation"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Feb 15, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true and would be a valid criticism of LS except for the fact that that very thing is dealt with and warned about. The Puritans and Spurgeon dealt with that extensively. You have to keep in mind the modern LS guys like Washer and MacArthur really are dealing specifically with the idea of going forward and getting saved and NOT having any change in life or attitude. No, you can't reverse the argument and still expect it to be of use.

I could say "If you cannot pass a stress test that is proof that you have a serious heart problem." It is NOT true to say "If you do pass a stress test if means for sure you DON'T have a serious heart problem."

It might be close. I could also say you are close to antinomianism. I could say you are declaring yourself elect, based on nothing but your thinking you are so, while ignoring all the verses that warn you about the deceitfulness of the human heart. And then you try to hold others back who may be in genuine trouble because they bought into a false system unknown in Christianity for most of it's history.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For all that is holy, reject it

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or Solomon. Or that entire generation, Moses and Aaron included, redeemed from the house of bondage that turned back in their hearts to Egypt.

Spot on.

#43 kyredneck, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah good point:Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about King David and his relationship with Bathsheba?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well expressed!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So do I. I am very careful to say I cannot declare anyone saved or unsaved.

The Billy Graham crusade came to KC when I was in seminary and several of the students, not me, volunteered to counsel people who came forward.

In the training put on by BGC, they were told to ask the person if they had ever made a profession of faith in Jesus. If they say they had already made a profession of faith, they were to assure them they were already saved and should join a local church.

I find that, frankly, appalling. That is pretending to know that someone is saved based on “repeat after me and say this prayer….”

Peace to you

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe in "Lordship Salvation", as it was aptly described in the quote, and yes, John Wesley was wrong about that, but the pejorative phrase "such as heretics like John Wesley" is cringe-inducing.
    I would gladly trade-in half my correct doctrines to be as spiritual a man as John Wesley was.

#48 George Antonios, Feb 16, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does no change in life, attitude, behavior carry with it any expectation of being saved?

Do you believe that if a person has made a profession of faith, they should have assurance of salvation even if they are living in open rebellion with God? How about if they openly deny Jesus is Lord and God.

I have heard people say that if you have said the “sinners prayer”, it does not matter what you believe or how you act, you are saved and going to heaven, though it may be by the skin of your teeth.

That is horrifying to me. It teaches people to resist the convicting work of God Holy Spirit. It teaches people to rely on what they have said at some point in the past, rather rely on God Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into all truth, especially concerning our hope in Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

peace to you

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree… it’s appalling. Brother it’s all a factor of modern religion. My theological brethren are just happy to be children of God, without all the slight - of - hand tricks on display.

But I remember back to the early days of my brothers graduation from a Bible School in Pennsylvania. This kid became the biggest pest to people, particularly to his own family. I musta been a big challenge to him being a lapsed Catholic and all… to him, living in sin. He sat out there on my poach until 2am telling me that all I had to do to be saved was profess my belief in Christ as my lord & savior. I finally acquiesced to get rid of him. Didn’t do anything to change me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am inclined to think that those "people" would agree as fast as you would that simply saying a prayer, as if it were a magic incantation, is of no avail unto salvation. I suspect those "people" would qualify their statement as assuming that the person believed the true gospel (of salvation by faith without works) in their heart.

Everyone agrees that there are fakes. Everyone agrees that there ought to be some evidential fruit, though we disagree on the metrics.

At least most so-called "easy believism" defenders would qualify their statement. It is therefore unjust not to represent them correctly.

If your encounters were with the kind who really believe that the heart does not count, only the prayer, that still would not be representative of the general position.

#51 George Antonios, Feb 16, 2023
  12. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even Owen said that when you come to Christ initially, your concern is with Christ in the office of priest. You are coming to be saved by His shed blood. And it really is that simple, and even easy. But Owen also said that a person who refuses Christ as Lord cannot have him as savior. There is a difference. The only valid criticism of LS I've heard is that it is impossible to know all that it means to have him as Lord. You may not know much at all in fact. So you just come, with the only qualification being that you recognize your need. But the refusal to go on in sanctification or a type of "say a prayer" incantation and then a life with no change shows a person who was not born again. You do not come with a perfection in attitude and the LS guys don't ask that. They are saying that there are more Biblical tests for someone who might be interested in whether they are saved than just faith in your faith or whether your mental exercise was sufficient. And the Bible agrees with them, not you all. Sorry.

13. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite true.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m inclined to believe that all this modern religion stuff is just fear based motivation… and we can stand back and observe how the younger generations are responding to it. Where is Europe today and where is America going? They are closing churches in the hundreds in my neighborhoods with no promises of regeneration. What good are the tactics being used to influence anybody, not the atheists, not the nones etc.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's sad that you think that way.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can oppose antinomianism without being legalistic [to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ)] 1 Corinthians 9:21. And I can oppose legalism without being antinomian [Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations—“Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.] Colossians 2:20-23

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel is a declaration, not an offer. There is no offer made to "make" Christ Lord. God already did that for all of His elect - Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Acts 2:36 (emphasis mine)

We humans do not make God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit anything. Humans have no such power.

I am not all that familiar with John Owen, but I would be seriously surprised if he agreed with the idea of "common grace" and the "well-meant offer".

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been convinced that the Old School Baptists are quite biblical and sincere in their approach to Their Walk with Christ especially in stressing eternal and temporal salvation grids. I must again emphasize that there are “REAL, VITAL differences” and that we are experiencing a “revival of the truth” among Primitive Old School Baptist churches in these days of diminishing Christian Churches. And I fully believe that these vital differences will lead the way back to growth through Grace and Gods Sovereignty.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and it’s going to have to Sadder before it can get Better!

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a child of God because of anything that I did or said or thought. God is the one who gave me a new heart. God is the one who opened my heart to the gospel(as He did for Lydia in the book of Acts), God is the one who showed me that I must have a perfect righteousness in order to stand guiltless before Him and that that perfect righteousness had to be found outside of myself in Christ Jesus, the Lord my Righteousness.

Anything that may be commendable in my actions is because of God, not because I reformed myself or tried to do better or clean up my act. Even reprobates can reform themselves or try to do better or clean up their act. Anything "good" that I do is ALL of God and NONE of myself - For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10 (emphasis mine)

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.