1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Insanity of the "right" to have guns! II

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SavedByGrace, May 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHY the need to use any weapons to defend onself or family? This is the American mind-set, which is rather foolish.

What good is your "black belts in various martial arts", if someone has a machine gun that fires off hundreds of rounds in a miniute? Before you can get your feet off the ground, you will be dead!

I used guns, because the original thread was with links to two shootings in the US in the past week, which has already been followed by yet another!

IF firearms, or any other means, actually works, then the death rate should be much lower, which is the whole purpose of this, I assume, or to the Americans just like shooting people for the sake of it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you guys seem to be GUNG HO!

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave Scripture proving that self defense is Biblical. Don't just disagree, prove me wrong from those Scriptures.

For example, was Jesus wrong to violently use a makeshift weapon to clear the criminals out of His Father's house? You refuse to address this. Isn't Jesus our model?

Edited in. Just thought about this. No, it's not just the "American mind-set." Where do you think the Asian martial arts came from, anyway?

Karate--From Fukien Province in China, to Japan through Okinawa.
    Jujutsu--All over Japan.
    Judo--developed into a sport from Jujutsu
    Chinese martial arts (popularly called Kung Fu; also Wushu and Ch'uan Fa)--from over 2000 years in the most populous country in the world. There are over 200 styles, ranging from Tai Chi Ch'uan and the other "internal" arts to Hung Gar and many more "external" martial arts
    Indonesia--Penjak Silat
    Philippines-- Arnis, Eskrima, and Kali
    I could list many more.

Then there are the "Western" martial arts of boxing and wrestling, going back thousands of years. These arts are eminently suitable for self defense. Even the "mixed martial arts" (MMA, UFC) are descended from wrestling (catch-as-catch-can) among and boxing, along with the Asian arts. (I could easily defend myself with just wrestling, and have done so). Many Brits practice these arts. ;)

This sounds like the Japanese man who thought there were shootouts all the time in every neighborhood in America. Machine guns are very, very strictly regulated in the US by the federal government, unlike handguns. Like my Japanese friend, maybe you've been watching too many American movies. :p

At any rate, the martial arts are not designed to fight a machine gun. But if someone comes at me with a knife or pistol or club, I'll take it away and hold him for the police.

You are still not answering Scriptural arguments for self defense. The means of self defense (hands, feet, knife, sword, club, gun, nunchaku, sai, quarterstaff) are secondary. If we have a God given right to self defense, and the law allows it, we may use any of these weapons.

#63 John of Japan, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winner, winner chicken dinner.

5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist

1 ufBiI7PKgVlqOiQ693v7iw.jpeg

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

The Lord told us to turn another cheek if hit or abused for his name sake, but not if wife or child was going to get hurt really bad!

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    turn the cheek - just once ......

8. JesusFan

We are to turn the other cheek, did not say all of the others have to do that!

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A word about the "turn the other cheek" argument. The Greek word for "smite" is hrapizo (ῥαπίζω), meaning "slap," and it is translated that way in the ESV and other translations. If a person slaps you, it is really more of an insult than a dangerous assault, even though in most places in America it would be an assault, and the slapper would be arrested.

My point is that I don't have to defend myself if someone simply slaps me. But if they try to punch or kick me, then I'll defend myself. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and should be protected.

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    not totally correct, it can also be used for, "strike with a stick, cudgel, thrash, to be flogged, beat", etc

11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    true, the Holy Spirit can indeed protect you! 100%

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is the very reason I believe the kingdom of God and or when Christ comes in the kingdom of his glory is still future for I do not believe there will be guns in the kingdom of God however I also believe it will be shown for there to not be a need for guns, Yet I also believe after the thousand years when the devil is loosed for a season there will be weapons and the battle of Ezek 38 yet God will do the fighting for the people of God.

However in this present world of kingdoms we need the 2nd amendment.

Even if it be the jawbone of an ass.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @SavedByGrace ,

I share some of your concerns (while I do own guns, I do not carry a gun nor do I own a gun for self defense).

But I do have a question.

Do you support the UK having a military?

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    No

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe, then, that the UK would exist today if it had no military?

16. JesusFan

Should we have fought against Hitler, or just roll over and allow nazi germany to make concentration camps all over Europe?

• Like Like x 1
  17. JesusFan

if they did not have one, would be a German colony today!Nazi would have blitzkrieg it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @SavedByGrace has his view, but that does not mean he believes Hitler should not have been stopped. God uses men (even man's disobedience) for His purposes. Ultimately God is in control.

Look at the American Revolution, for example. There is no biblical justification for Americans to have fought for independence. But the mantle of Christianity passed from the UK to the US (for awhile, anyway).

19. JesusFan

there was every reason to fight, as all have the right to have self determination and those pesky rights granted to us by our Creator!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had plenty of reasons to fight against the UK, but no biblical reasons.

That said, post the passages you believe justified the Revolutionary War.

Let's look at it together.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.