Three things:ituttut said:Hello again HankD, and happy to be back "computin".
We just approach this subject from different perspectives of what we know. I endeavor to see what the Bible has to say about things such as this. No doubt the angels and the heavenly host celebrated Jesus' birthday. The problem, according to the Bible, is that the shepherds were in the field watching over their sheep by night. At this time the shepherds did not have their sheep out in the wintertime. They housed them, and fed them in a Manger, in the winter time. Jesus was born in a manger, and the reason he was is because the manger was not in use. The sheep were out feeding in the fields, and not feeding from the manger. Sheep eat grass in the fields in spring, summer, and fall months, and winter they ate hay or other grain from a manger. There are other reasons we know December is out of the question, and all biblical information points to Jesus being born the latter parts of September, or early October. What would the sheep be feeding on in the winter? In the morning they would be eating GRASS in the fields, and there is no GRASS to eat in the winter.
I personally go along with the commercial part of Christmas, but not of the spirit taking Christmas into the church, or honoring this date as the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. I do not fault or judge you in what you do as you believe differently than I, and are unaware of certain things. I only endeavor to inform of what the Bible says, and not what man says is truth.
We use the vernacular of the day as the days are how we identify a day in the week. Also the Christian does not go to the Temple, or the church on the Sabbath. If we did we would do as Israel did when God recognized them as His people. We would number our days. But we are not Israel today. I notice we Christians most often refer to Sunday as the first day of the week, and as we are not Israel we continue to use what has been accepted by we Gentiles and the names of the week. We render unto Caesar (the worldly things), and to God the things that are God's.
This is the reason I go along with the commercial part of Christmas, but avoid worshiping on this day, in church or out, His Birthday on December 25. I believe what I find in the Bible, and not what man wishes me to think. Again. unto Caesar what he gives us, and that is a "commercial and worldly Christmas."
Perhaps it would be good to question the founding fathers of the Baptist church as to the beginning of Wednesday to be the chosen for "prayer meeting".
It Is best to know certain facts and one is the French Christians do not connect "Woden" to Wednesday, but the "planet Mercury". Pagan also, to be sure, and the heathen had names of the week, all from Pagan origins, before Christianity was known. Christianity accepted these names. Why would we today try to connect what was accepted by them to Christmas, and Easter that did not even exist?
The Apostles knew when Jesus was born. If they had set aside the birthday of Jesus, or an Easter Sunday, why didn't they tell us about this? Circa 300 years later a man brought these pagan Holidays into the church. I believe the Bible and not Constantine.
Neither the "circumcised" church in Jerusalem, nor the "uncircumcised churches" of the Gentiles had any such Holy Days. The Apostles knew when Jesus was born, and they make no mention of this fact for evidently the Holy Spirit did not wish for it to be remembered as He knows the heart of man. What would man do? Begin to worship a day, along with their Lord Jesus Christ. God is no longer of this world, for the Son sits beside His Father in heaven. Do we not do our level best trying to "bring Jesus down from heaven" to worship, and remember Him in a worldly manner. Romans 10:6, "But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above).
Our worship and remembering him is "Spiritual" which He plainly asks us to do as we "drink the wine (blood) from the cup". He is no longer of this earth for He is alive today in heaven awaiting His Father to "put all things beneath His feet".
Today the "Jew" (by blood) has been blinded, along with many others in the world, but you and I have been chosen, however we are not in the same part of the Body of Christ? We will be in His Kingdom, whether of earth, or of the heavenlies.
This is, and was known to me, but these names are "heathen" generated before Christianity as explained above. We should not be trying to say we believed as the pagans did before Christianity, and continue to do so after Christianity was founded.
Perhaps you are not reading (thinking this is just ituttut talking) or you are not comprehending my posts. Nowhere have I judged you, but as pointed out presenting scripture to you to accept or deny. Your choice to believe in whom you believe, and why?
You speak to the tongue of man here. If you will look again, all that I offer is the Word of God. We accept His Word, or we reject and believe as man.Do you claim to be perfect? His Word is, and we are to spread it unabashedly.
Acts 13:45-49, "But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. 46. Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. 47. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. 48. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. 49. And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region." I am so glad the two men, and them only, were sent to give light to the Gentiles.
Enveloped with me HankD in…….
First, I too, believe that Jesus was born in the 'fall' of the year, although I would probably gravitate more towards around the first of October, if pushed, but have no particular problem with late September. (It is also about equally possible that I am about six months off, in my extrapolating, as well, the key being the time of service as Priest, by Zacharias.)
Secondly, I'm not exactly sure that one can read more into the fact that there were shepherds "out in the field" than is actually there. I heard almost 40 years ago in Bible College, but admit I cannot confirm the fact, that the "Temple Flocks" for the sacrifices (unlike, generally, the privately owned flocks) were kept outside "year round" in the environs of Jerusalem and Bethlehem, in an area known as 'Migdal Eder', if my memory does not fail me, and that according to tradition, this is where the Angel appeared to the shepherds. Regardless, the climate of Israel is a Mediterranean type of climate, with far milder winters than we see here, say, in KY, where I live. Hence, in times of even relatively good weather, sheep and cattle generally fare better overall outside in the open, than crammed up in a high humidity inside environment. Keeps down diseases and even limited grazing is a bonus, not to mention the hauling away of less manure, and having to spread it the old fashioned way, with a pitchfork, as I have done as a much younger person!
Third, I'm not that sure the apostles knew exactly when the birth of the Lord was (or even his exact age), considering the gospel writer says Jesus was "around thirty years old" beginning his public ministry, although at least some surely would have known something about Augustus' census decree, I would suspect. Much as I don't really know much about the Korean War, even though I was born in 1948, but I am aware of it, and I would suspect far more so, than my 10 nieces and nephews, all of whom range from about 15 - 33 years old, for an example. I'm personally just not sure the Holy Spirit ever intended for us to know the exact date and time of Jesus' birth, here.
Fourth, I'm fairly sure the animals, would have had no problem with 'giving up' a portion of their manger to Jesus when He was born. Animals don't seem to have too much problem 'listening' to God, pace Balaam's ass, and the ram in the thicket for Abraham, unlike some of us human beings, pace Balaam.
In fact, one might even ask which one was the real "dumb ass", in the account of Balaam.
Ed
Last edited by a moderator: