1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 John 2:2

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Piper, Jul 26, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @taisto why do you struggle so hard to understand clear scripture.

You will continue to twist scripture to your destruction.

What did I post
    "Propitiation The act of appeasing wrath and conciliating the favor of an offended person; the act of making propitious.

So when I gave you the definition of propitious it was to make what John was saying clearer. That is not adding words to the text.

Propitious Disposed to be gracious or merciful; ready to forgive sins and bestow blessings; applied to God.

Do you not agree that that is what John was saying in 1 John 2:2
    1Jn 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Was John not saying God was gracious or merciful; ready to forgive sins and bestow blessings on not just believers but also the whole world of unbelievers."

Now I have to call into question your ability to comprehend clear English. How many times must you be told something before it sinks in. Unless you missed it I am questioning your intelligence. Not as in insult but just as an observation.

Intelligence
    The capacity for learning, reasoning, or understanding. The relative aptitude in grasping truths

I have presented truths to you but you seem incapable of grasping them or you just do not want to accept them.
    You seem to enjoy playing silly word games I do not. To me that is just childish behavior. So I will leave you to play your games with someone else.

2. old regular

old regular Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    : I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine . I believe he died for the same ones he prayed for those given him of the Father , there is a world he died for there is a world he would not pray for . I believe'' our sins'' the Jews [elect] whole world the Greeks or gentiles [elect]."Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;" Hebrews 1:2 KJV

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll add that where you start has a great impact on where you end when theology is involved. I disagree with Owens basic assumptions here, but I do not discredit his logic given his foundation. That is one thing that I have loved about studying theology.

As far as apparent inconsistentcies, I think some can be explained by looking at Owens intent. Spurgeon was the same way (his view of God conquering our wills yet his exclamation that the "water" id offered to all should they just come and drink).

Tim Keller used Paul's shipwreck as an example here, first noting that what is impossible for us (perhaps reconciling this issue) is not with God.

God told Paul that the ship would be destroyed but no lives lost. Paul told the sailers that if they jump ship all will die. The sailors chose to remain, convinced by Paul's testimony. Did God lie to Paul? Did Paul lie to the sailors? I believe both God and Paul spoke truthfully.

I find it helpful to look at God's will as being larger than man's will. If God is omniscience, omnipotent, and sovereign then why can God not save yet man still have to choose without one negating the other?

The problem only comes in when we equate God and man. Then, and only then, is God lowered to the place of man and man elevated to the place of God in such a way we have to have an "either-or" answer as a solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tulip is the Gospel of Gods Grace !

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who Christ is their propitiation, they are reconciled to God even while they are in unbelief. And they are guaranteed to be regenerated[saved] by His Life. Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

The Death of Christ alone propitiated Gods wrath for them He died for 1 Jn 2:2

6. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a prominent theme of Owen that faith is essential for justification and prior to justification. "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" is a large work and I'm not going to study if for you but this is a quick example:
    "The certain, infallible, inviolable connection that is between faith and salvation, so that whosoever performs the one shall surely enjoy the other, for whoever comes to Christ he will in no wise cast out, Of which more afterward." From "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" Book 4 Point no. 3. where he is talking about man's duty and God's purpose. That quote alone should put to rest any such nonsense about Owen believing that Calvinism could lead to a conclusion that faith was not essential to salvation.
    That's my whole point. He is the Calvinist. He wrote the book on the doctrines of grace, literally. You have no right to think you are refuting Calvinism without deeply studying his works. And that goes for the hyper-Calvinists on here who have no idea what they are talking about either. You are not saved without faith.

It may surprise you but if you take the time to really read his works Owen quotes and then refutes all objections brought up against the Calvinistic scheme of things. I'm not saying you have to agree with him. I don't know if I agree with him on everything. But I can tell you that you will not come up with some kind of gotcha answer to Owen. All, and I mean all of your gotcha comebacks can be found in the works of Owen along with his response.

He spends a lot of ink discussing this too and that is where I am still trying to figure out where he was coming from. To dismiss Owen like the paper you quoted requires an assumption that "his calvinism" is something separate from following the bible. There again, if you actually read Owen you find a constant list of verses accompanying his statements.

I am beginning to realize that the worst thing we do as modern men is to start with a presupposition that if it doesn't make immediate logical sense to us, then that indicates a flaw in what is being said.

7. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The only way to truly refute Owen is to have a different view of "that which cannot be discussed". And I don't want to do that because I agree with Owen in that area. But I agree with what you said about us not having the ability to resolve all theological tensions and I do not find fault with someone who cannot resolve that in their own minds - and so they insist that you cannot possible be offered Christ if he did not die for you. I'm not sure I don't agree with them. I'm not even sure Calvin didn't agree with them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course faith is essential for justification. This is why God grants faith to those whom he has ransomed and propitiated.
    The redeemed person will have faith. The question is, at what point does that faith become reality.
    For a person who emphasizes free will, faith will be latent in a human soul until the will of that human activates it unto salvation. For a person who emphasizes God's authoring of salvation, faith will not exist until God graciously gives it as a gift of salvation.
    Therefore, the person who is saved will have faith, it's just a matter of who initiates faith. Does man initiate faith or does God initiate faith?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep saying that but with out clear contextual scriptural support it is just your opinion.

10. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Jn 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

So your a universalist, got it.

11. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you not see how the above quotes could be confusing to someone. And then look at this, also from Owen:
    "Christ is able to save all them, and only them, who come to God by him. Whilst you live in sin and unbelief, Christ himself cannot save you.." And then a couple of sentences later, "All things in heaven and earth are committed unto him (Christ); - all power is his; - and he will use it unto this end - namely, the assured salvation of all that come unto him."

Now I admit that we think like modern men. But it seems to me that that last statement, if you have been trained as a modern man, that everything must be thought of as a logical consequence of what was stated before - that you could come to the conclusion that the propitiation was for everyone - at least everyone who comes.

12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist

I have to agree with what @JonC said in post #223 "I'll add that where you start has a great impact on where you end when theology is involved. I disagree with Owens basic assumptions here, but I do not discredit his logic given his foundation."

Owen is using calvinism as his base rather than the bible. As you said: "Owen is the Calvinist. He wrote the book on the doctrines of grace, literally."

Contrary to your claim that one has no right to think you are refuting Calvinism without deeply studying his works. One does not need to study Owens works before they can refute calvinsism. Calvinism is not the standard of truth, the bible is.

Which brings us to one of the problems that I see with many calvinists, they start with the assumption that calvinism is the standard and end running foul of the truth of scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to take exception to what Owen said here. "Christ is able to save all them, and only them, who come to God by him." If he had left out the words "and only them" it would be biblical. Christ could save anybody and will save those that freely trust in Him and that is why I can mostly agree with the rest of his comment. "Whilst you live in sin and unbelief, Christ himself cannot save you." Which actually shows God condition for salvation. Man must exercise his free will in his choice to either accept or reject Christ Jesus as savior. So it is not that Christ can not save it is that He will not save one that is still in unbelief.

With reference to 1 John 2:2
    The atonement was made for the ones that John was writing to
    "propitiation for our sins"
    Then he tells them but the atonement was not limited to just them
    "and not for ours only"
    Then he tells them who else were to be included
    "but also for the whole world"

That does not leave any wiggle room as to what John was saying. How can you conclude that John was not making a case for the extent of the atonement? What more should he have said?

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer you want to hear.

But who is then "the Lord" that bought them? And how? And how does it bring them to distruction?
    ". . . denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. . . ."
    Answer my questions.
    Who is that Lord that bought them?
    Why are they denying him?
    How did this Lord buy them?
    Biblical references please.

#234 37818, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  15. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not merely my opinion, but the Truth of scripture.

16. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Jn 2:2 is the elect. The whole world of individuals arent of the elect, sorry

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the first line says it all "While this is a difficult text, it is actually quite ambiguous.". So while the text is actually clear,
    false prophets among the people
    there will be false teachers among you
    who will secretly bring in destructive heresies
    even denying the Lord who bought them
    bring on themselves swift destruction

So what is hard about understanding that verse.

But for the calvinist it is "quite ambiguous" so they have to come up with multiple versions of the verse in the attempt to make it fit their man-made theology. So it seems that once again it is not the bible they believe but what some man tells them the bible says.

18. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. But you will end up with the disaster you used above from the Arminian website. You make a mistake assuming that Calvinists don't use the Bible. I don't use the Bible much on this site for the simple reason it doesn't help. We are on post 237 and all looking at the exact same verse. If you don't realize Owen had a verse or two for everything he said then I know you have not read Owen.
    I don't know how many times I have said on here that faith is a condition for salvation in Calvinism. What is not happening though is Jesus doing his part and then the Triune God having to sit passively by and see what we are going to do with our free and autonomous wills. That is unbiblical and goes against scores of verses. And don't get caught up in can't vs won't. The meaning can be interchangeable and often is.

19. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without clear scriptural support it is just your opinion.

20. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then as I said before you are promoting universalism. The fact you can not understand that is troubling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.