1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Profanity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greektim, Mar 18, 2013.

?
  1. Absolutely Not!

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Sometimes

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Only some words at any time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only some words at certain times

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Yes!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Would you use the words to speak to a Holy God? we know what the intent of cussing is. There really shouldn't be any excuses for doing it.:flower:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I'm correctly reading people's rationalization for cussing it is because it succinctly communicates a particular feeling or idea better than using non-cuss words. In other words it's a somewhat offensive way to quickly convey your state of mind.

OK, let's apply this rationalization to other areas and see if it works.

A person butts in front of you at the concession stand at an NFL football game. Would a left jab to the jaw quickly and succinctly express your feelings more effective than "Excuse me, sir but that was my spot?"

You're losing an argument on Baptist Board. Rather than going step-by-step through your argument clarifying your position, is typing in all caps, "YOU ARE A HERETIC!" an effective shorthand?

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you have a clue what the intent is. Not mine anyways.

4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way in which I used it was not to offend nor was the person to whom I was speaking offended. It was used to effectively communicate that lack of veracity and valor in a person's views (in this case, I pointed out the chicken ****). No offense was taken. So your entire scenario is moot b/c you have completely missed what I have been saying.

Maybe I should simply qualify by saying I don't think the "s" word is a bad word. It is simply a stronger word than crap or poop or excrement/feces (greater to lesser).

#164 Greektim, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont view it as a vulgarity....thats the difference. Who made it a vulgarity? Did God make it a vulgarity.....or is it a descriptive?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never...I prefer a kidney shot & or a whack in the testicles because 1) No marks are left (2) takes the sot out quickly without further effort (3) Max Pain (4) the guy wont ever do that again:smilewinkgrin: Marine Corps Training!!! Very effective:thumbs:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not trying to help it along, I'm trying to convey how utterly ridiculous this discussion even is.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Society as a whole does, believer and non alike.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it is not a 'bad word', why do you feel you can't use it around everyone? Your argument makes no sense.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pro·fan·i·ty (pr-fn-t, pr-)
    n. pl. pro·fan·i·ties
    1. The condition or quality of being profane.
    a. Abusive, vulgar, or irreverent language.
    b. The use of such language.

profanity [prəˈfænɪtɪ]
    n pl -ties
    1. the state or quality of being profane
    2. vulgar or irreverent action, speech, et

The term "profane" originates from classical Latin "profanus", literally "before (outside) the temple". It carried the meaning of either "desecrating what is holy" or "with a secular purpose" as early as the 1450s CE.[4] Profanity represented secular indifference to religion or religious figures, while blasphemy was a more offensive attack on religion and religious figures, considered sinful, and a direct violation of The Ten Commandments.

Profanities in the original meaning of blasphemous profanity are part of the ancient tradition of the comic cults, which laughed and scoffed at the deity or deities.[5][6] An example from Gargantua and Pantagruel is "Christ, look ye, its Mere de ... merde ... shit, Mother of God."[7][not in citation given]

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If profanity is acceptable to make oneself clear or to emphasize a point, why do people here self-censor with asterisks and first letters?

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure I do. It's a poor excuse to communicate.

The words are used because people think they strongly communicate what they are trying to say, when all it shows is a level of spiritual immaturity that needs to start pausing before it says anything.

But as I said, folks know what the intent is and I seriously doubt any Christian on here would stand in front of a HOLY GOD using those words.

But we will give an account.:flower:

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
    Ephesians 5:1-4

Folks use the words because they(the words) attempt to communicate worldly concepts emphatically.

You wouldn't stand before God and say it.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know.....It appears your being hypothetical again. Are you a pharisee in love with legalism? your wearing that cloak & frankly its unbecoming. I thought better of you. :(

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

How do I know what? That someone won't stand in front of a HOLY God and say it? If you don't comprehend that, we should be talking about salvation and not profanity.:laugh:

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the delicate wilting flowers amongst us....mostly those who should be told to just carry on & mind their own business! But because they are so sensitive to anything they think of as "obscenity" they will naturally be offended....oh pis-haw Mister Arbo Sir! :laugh: Same thing as being if someone makes the horrific mistake of having an alcoholic drink ...a beer or such. Truly...just mind your own business & quit judging other folks!!:mad:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you feel you can loose your salvation.....I do not. My God has already provided me with salvation. If yours would take it away for saying a mere word, let me tell you about sound theology.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Honestly, I do wonder why Christians like to excuse the behavior that identifies the world by speaking of legalism?

you know why the world uses the words. there's no difference between why the world uses GD as there is to it using any other obscenity. So why do folks who are supposed to be holy and set apart keep trying to excuse their behavior that identifies with this world as legalism?

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nice attempt to deflect but you're well aware that I didn't say any such thing.:laugh:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only true obscenity ...the one we are commanded to abstain from is the 3rd commandment..."Thou SHALL NOT take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

And that might not be considered an obscenity like a vile filthy curse word or action (like your Big Bird Pic post)...but what that is is an abomination & a dishonor to the Lord.