1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in God? Then you have a moral duty to fight climate change, writes Jim Antal

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by I Love An Atheist, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one has neglected anything and not all regs are good.

2. I Love An Atheist

I Love An Atheist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm glad it has been cleaned up. I agree about addressing environmental injustice to communities of people who are living in areas where toxins are too high for human health.

That is very sad, and I'm glad trash is no longer dumped in the ocean as a deliberate, officially approved way to dispose of it.

I disagree that your assertion is just common sense. It requires science to understand it, and the science has been exposed as faked.

Sea level cycles of rising and falling are gradual and normal.

I agree we shouldn't simply oppose everything green. I just think we need to be careful about wolves in green sheeps' clothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems the Trump administration has been trying to undercut many of the safeguards against pollution in favor of short-term gains for businesses and the coal industry.

Yes, but we need a way to penalize illegal dumping, as well as clean up the mess.

I'm assuming you are referring to what is called climate change science. I wasn't referring to that body of work -- merely the facts that our world burns an enormous amount of fossil fuel and that we are deforesting many of the earth's recharge zones where massive amounts of photosynthesis takes place (plant absorption of carbon dioxide that produces oxygen). The combination of the two things being done is going to have a negative effect on the climate. The only science in view in my statement is that combustion of fossil fuels releases carbon into the atmosphere - much of it carbon dioxide - and that photosynthesis takes carbon out of the atmosphere and replaces it with oxygen. I don't think those two scientific theories are faked, or even in dispute.

Sure. I have lived in Texas all my life (although in three different regions), and all of them used to be underwater in a shallow sea. I'd rather not go back to that condition.

Absolutely. Especially when they are Christian or political leaders who want us to ignore what the scripture tells us about taking care of the earth.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you taught your congregation about creation care? Are you an advocate for cleaner air and water, and water conservation?

I do and I am.

Obviously.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    we are NOT though to go green as the liberals and left wing Christs advocate, as basically, that is their way to get wealth redistribution, as to them, capitalism and making wealth by hard work is an evil thing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. I Love An Atheist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He has issued some executive orders to roll back Obama's executive orders, but this is so that the laws can be rewritten. That will take years to happen. It is something to watch.

Trump Plans to Begin E.P.A. Rollback With Order on Clean Water

I know the environmental orgs say that he is just giving businesses whatever they want, at the expense of the environment. I no longer believe whatever the environmental orgs say. They are funded by an elite and are not just grassroots things. They don't even get most of their funding from membership dues. That is only a fraction of their funds.

I used to jump on every green bandwagon, because I thought grassroots green and crunchy people banding together against big business had more credibility to me. This is a false impression, though. Scratch the surface and study it, and it is a bunch of very powerful foundations and NGOs that are elite-directed and not grassroots-directed.

Here is one resource, and of course it has its bias and narrative, but it does provide facts and documentation. It can be a little dry. Apologies for the provocative title of the site. Environmentalism is fascism

I am apt to support real grassroots efforts by the little people. Those actually happen sometimes. Like the Love Canal moms, for one well-known example.

The Ocean Dumping Ban Act was enacted in 1988. I am not aware of anybody advocating that it be rolled back. Ocean Dumping Ban Act - environmental, history, EPA, industrial, disposal

But we need to have sensible laws, not laws that result in things like this. The EU and UN have a history of oppressive laws with ridiculous consequences. And here is one example:

Hardwood forests cut down to feed Drax Power plant, Channel 4 Dispatches claims

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama tried to destroy the coal industry. Good for Trump rolling back those regs so the coal industry can recover. We need it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Societies and cultures aren't saved. Individuals are saved. One day all of us will stand before Christ and be judged. Waving the American flag or proclaiming we are a veteran will have nothing to do with our faith. The so-called social gospel is the true gospel. Read MAT 25.

9. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wealth has already been redistributed from the poor and middle class to the rich. You must have not been paying attention for the last 30 years.

10. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You KNOW it's junk science because.....?

11. I Love An Atheist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree, but how would it help the poor and middle class in America to redistribute American wealth to India, China or other countries?

12. I Love An Atheist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Was Jesus preaching to governments or to individuals? Was He calling for charity or for government sponsored wealth redistribution? I think we have quite a few issues to discuss here.

In my community a Christian woman started a local food bank, quoting from the third parable in Matthew 25 when she was interviewed. Her statement was so beautiful that it brought tears to the eyes of the newspaper editor.

I don't know if this woman is Libertarian, Democrat, or what. But what if she were to be a Libertarian. Do you think she would be judged for it on Judgement Day?

13. I Love An Atheist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For I am not ashamed of the gospel,
    for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek [Romans 1:16].

Is filling the bellies of people to keep them from hunger more the gospel than filling them with Christ to keep them from eternal damnation?

15. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm mainly talking about focusing on the problems we have here in America about starvation and inadequate health care among the poor and needy. We also have a pollution problem that needs to be addressed. meanwhile, Trump is dismantling the EPA and tearing down current clean air and clean water regulations? Why? So he and his rich friends can make more money.

16. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never answered my question. Why do you want to continue to pollute our air and water for the next generation? If we address this we will also be addressing the climate concerns. God gave us His creation to take care of. Why do you want to trash God's creation?

17. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They go hand in hand. People respond to the gospel message when we show we have genuine Christian love for them. Christ stated the importance of this:

[Mat 25:37-40 KJV] 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I Love An Atheist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are just going to keep on saying the same things to me no matter what I reply, aren't you? We have been through this in a previous thread. I will stand on what I already said. There is no need to repeat it ad infinitum.

I give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean well. I just regard you as being deceived. You apparently are comfortable imputing motives to me, and grandly evil ones at that. You don't have to answer this question to me, but ask it in private in your own heart. To impute grandly evil motives to me only to score a point in an argument: is that encouraged in the Gospel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The left
    FTW is the one I once accused (still not sure he isn't) of being a now banned -CRABTOWNBOY !! These responses from him (FTW) are almost precisely what CTB would have created.
    If you aren't familiar with said poster, look him up & you'll see what I mean.
    It was IMPOSSIBLE to discuss anything related to politics with him as he would end up accusing conservatives of all sorts of evil actions/beliefs/intents, while never answering any questions asked of him by others.

I DO admire your patience and civility, but it is wasted on such as these.

• Like Like x 1
  20. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump helped Indiana. We are # 5 in US coal mining. Also, we burn coal to make cheap, dependable electricity, which is sold to other states. The Democrats wanted to destroy all that.

• Like Like x 1