1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God allow Divorce Today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In previous posts you have almost always quoted the KJV when you post scripture. This time I see you cherry-picked a modern translation that omits the critical phrase, "and be converted", as in:

"Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out..."

Kind of funny that Sixteen-Eighty-Nine-Dave needs to pick up a modern translation from 2005 to find a verse to support his assertion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases"

Why are you trying to place them under bondage, contrary to scripture?

3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You assume "not under bondage" means they are divorced. But if divorce is not valid in God's sight, it means the divorced believer is not subject to the divorce law.

How do you justify your efforts to break up marriages (families) that God tells us to prevent people from putting asunder?

4. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it God's word? Or not?

“Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;” (Acts 3:19) (KJV 1900)

“For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.” (2 Corinthians 7:10) (KJV 1900)

“If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” (Hebrews 6:6) (KJV 1900)

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) (KJV 1900)

“Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.” (Revelation 2:5) (KJV 1900)

etc., etc.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are trying to say they are bound to bogus divorce laws that aren't worth the paper they are written on.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of these verses refer to "repentance unto salvation", or repentance as part of conversion. And only one refers to forgiveness of sins (as a part of salvation.)

Once you are saved you're done with "repentance unto salvation". Your mind has been changed about Jesus. You've repented of your unbelief. Your sins have been forgiven. Once and for all.

You are speaking of people repenting of sins committed against other people. You are saying that people cannot forgive other people unless they repent of whatever deed they've done. That's not in the Bible.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you think of any sins you have been forgiven apart from repentance?

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.” (Hebrews 10:26–27) (KJV 1900)

“so that although they look they may look but not see, and although they hear they may hear but not understand, so they may not repent and be forgiven.”” (Mark 4:12) (NET)

“and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.” (Luke 24:47) (ESV)

#127 1689Dave, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, every sin I've committed since I was saved.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you live in unrepentant sin and be forgiven? “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (KJV 1900)

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can God command someone to repent and not give the person that ability?

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Confession of sin is a tacit acknowledgment of repentance. You can't realize you need to confess a sin without repenting of it. Repentance means a "change of mind". Therefore if one agrees that what they did was a sin they are changing their mind about it, they are repenting.

Do you think someone has to actually utter the word repent, as in, "Lord, I repent of my sin of lying to my spouse. Please forgive me."

If someone continues to commit the same sin over and over and over, then perhaps they didn't truly repent of it. Doesn't mean that God doesn't forgive them of the sin if they confess it.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you return to my original post, I mentioned abuse and separation in the last paragraph. The early Christians fled abuse. But they always forgave.

If God tells us not to let anyone break-up a marriage, why do you work so hard to break up marriages? Especially when they reach their weakest point? By peddling phony divorce arrangements that God abhors?

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7) (KJV 1900)

This is repentance from sin. Notice only if we walk in the light (repentance) do we receive forgiveness.

14. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said anything about ability?

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was simply treating you to your usual method of evading the issue by changing it with a question.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah...I might be familiar with that verse about being In The Light.

Our sins are forgiven when we are justified by faith. This happens at the moment of conversion, when the Holy Spirit indwells us. Our sins are forgiven once and for all.

What you are espousing is a works doctrine--we must do something in order to be forgiven. It's all a part of your faulty Lordship Salvation doctrine.

Walking in the light is part of the ongoing process of sanctification.

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It still remains, repentance is overcoming sin. And only overcomers go to heaven. “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” (Revelation 2:7) (KJV 1900)

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless: “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” (Hebrews 12:14) (KJV 1900)

19. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Paul, I require a marriage to be made by God before it is something sacred to God.
    If the unbeliever does not want to hear the gospel ... shake the dust off your feet and move on.
    If the unbeliever wants to leave the phony marriage (one in which God's marriage covenent has been broken ... if it ever existed) then don't let the door hit them in the tush on the way out.

This was less of a problem under the Law of Moses ... most of the legitimate reasons for divorce were punishable by death, so the wronged party became a widow/widower rather than divorced.

I have broken up no marriages. I have slept with no ones wife. I have been faithful to my wife.
    I am against you punishing victims with merciless LAWS. I am for a GRACE that can cover all sins and a GOD who forgives and restores and makes the last days better than the first.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but the death of Jesus covered that sin, the only unpardonable one is to reject Jesus to save you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.