1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Evangelicals and RCC working together

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Aug 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then they don't count. :Wink

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't. Neither do the Disciples of Christ or the Church of Christ. But they are denominations. The Catholic Church did not exist until the 4th Century.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Mikoo

Mikoo Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have eternal life? Since you eat the wafer?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe Jesus meant it literally.

I believe I know Jesus spoke in metaphor. Both regarding Him being the true manna from heaven per John 6:63 and later as a remembrance before He offered Himself on the cross as the Passover, per Luke 22:19-21 which included lost Judas.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When n is zero its value is neither even or odd. No solution.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 becomes 4, 1, 10, 2, 16, 3, 22

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The RCC considers the wafer to be the “real Presence” of Jesus Christ so yes because now you are one with Christ. BTW, in addition you must touch all the sacraments must be exercised… Baptism, confirmation, holy Eucharist, Penance, Marriage, Holy Orders, Extreme Unction.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Holy Eucharist is Jesus come Flesh to us individually in Covenant.

“ He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him “

Jesus instituted this wonder as He did the loaves and fish, but the bread that He gives is His flesh for the life of the world.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Cathode,

You have been taught to conflate the Passover Eucharist (Matthew, Mark, Luke, 1 Corinthians) with Jesus' teaching He being the true manna from heaven (John).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The plain reading gives you the literal meaning, it just requires supernatural Faith granted by The Father to believe it.
    Without supernatural Faith granted by The Father, men are left behind in human reasoning which profits nothing, and they can not pass through this singularity.

Peter made an act of supernatural Faith in Jesus words, “ You have the words of everlasting Life. “
    Others walked away in disbelief.
    It wasn’t just a “ hard teaching “ , it’s was and still is an impossible teaching, impossible without Faith granted by The Father.
    Only Faith can carry you up.
    Only Faith can clothe you for this feast.

When Jesus spoke metaphorically and people took Him literally, Jesus always corrected their misunderstandings.

Manna is the prefigurement of the Eucharist and daily bread Jesus compared Himself too, because in the disguise of ordinary bread Jesus would make Himself available to all mankind down the ages in The Holy Eucharist our daily bread.

This is how Jesus fulfils His promise to be with us always, in The Holy Eucharist.

When we receive Jesus in The Holy Eucharist, we receive our Saviour, Our King and Infant helpless babe, His whole Life and Being in One.
    We abide in Him and He abides in us in Covenant Communion.
    Our offering is ourselves, His offering is Himself, together before The Almighty Father. This is Holy Communion with God.

10. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All scripture works together, it’s not conflation.

Just has God fed the Israelites with daily bread from heaven, The Eucharist is our daily bread from heaven to sustain us.
    Only this bread is a bread a man can eat and not die.

“ The bread that I shall give is my flesh for the life of the world “

“ He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood, has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day “

“ So he who eats me, will live because of me “

Jesus says “ take and eat” , “ take and drink “

Jesus flesh is real food and His blood is real drink.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue comes when it is a ministry of Christ.

A Christian and a Mormon can help others. They can work together in an organization.

BUT when the help is presented as a Christian ministry then including nom-Christian religions (like Mormons) is problematic as it can be seen to validate paganism.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And paganism is very controlling, very totalitarian.
    You can recognize it by all the rituals(mostly extra biblical) and the demands made to conform to the rituals and teaching. Forced feeding of these teachings along with servitude is required/demanded.

#112 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  13. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why do you doubt Jesus transformed the bread and wine into His Body and Blood? You have His own words that say so.

Don’t you believe He has the power? Do you believe He Transubstantiated the water into wine? Multiplied the loaves and fish?

If you believe these things and you believe that no words of Christ go out and be unfulfilled. Then believing in the real presence of Jesus in The Eucharist is a mere formality.

Catholics believe it, because Jesus said it.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also believe that Jesus is present in Communion, but I have never been Catholic, so for my edification -

Do Catholics also believe that Peter was a stone, that Jesus is water, that Jesus is a key stone, that men are literal sheep, and that Jesus is a vine?

I take it they do, as Jesus said it. So my question is how they defend believing those things (other than Jesus said it).

If Peter was a literal stone then how was he a man? Did he become stone? And Jesus being water and a vine....how does that work? Does He live in the water and vines, both at the same time?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps study the Quakers

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And do you wash the feet of the brethren?

John 13:2–17 recounts Jesus' performance of this action. In verses 13:14–17, He instructs His disciples: If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Cathode,

And if you take Christs words as literal, then why do you call your priests by FATHER?

MATT. 23:8 “But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers.
    MATT. 23:9 “Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
    MATT. 23:10 “Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.
    MATT. 23:11 “But the greatest among you shall be your servant.
    MATT. 23:12 “Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

perhaps servant hood is not in the Catholic vocabulary!

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a denomination I haven't explored yet. They seem very interesting. That's kind of where I'm at in my faith journey. I came full circle when I was born again but realized in short order that words still tend to get in the way. I like how they're not afraid to question the label: Why am I calling myself Christian and why is it important to me?

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you experienced the Holy Spirit in dwelling in your soul and convincing you to honor JesusChrist as your Lord and Savior? That’s what I experienced one snowy day driving home from college classes to advance my career. The snow storm caused me to an intense focus on my driving so when I popped in a CD with A pastor named George Whitfield, I was primed to listen very intently. I won’t give you the whole testimony, but I believe that was the HS speaking thru Whitfield. It got my attention I assure you.

Then I became a Bible student, I talked with many many people… on Baptist Board, at many different churches etc… and I’m still learning. That’s the key. Even spoke to Quakers however I find them a bit vapid.

The bottom line is that I Believe Christs comments to Nicodemus when He told him there needs to be a dramatic change in his life that would forever change him and focus him to the truth, for without that you will meander.
    In John 3, Nicodemus concedes that God must have sent Jesus because of all the miraculous signs he performed. Jesus gets to the heart of the matter by responding with firm truth: “…no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again(John 3:3).

#119 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.