1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman Catholicism , cult or not?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by shannonL, Feb 24, 2006.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

FriendofSpurgeon,

We are. By grace alone through faith alone.

DHK posted...

And I'll add from Ephesians...

"For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith. And that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest anyone should boast."

And going back to Romans...

"even the rightiousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe.

For there is no difference, for all have sinned and come short of of the glory of God. Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus....to demonstrate at the present time His rightiousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus."

God feels so strongly about this that in Galaciens He place the curse of Almighty God Himself upon any gospel that adds works to justification through faith alone.

This is a very serious matter.

God bless,

Mike

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No mental gymnastics required, Mike ;) . I'll just let the facts speak for themselves:-

1. The anathemata of Trent still stand. They have never been revoked.

2. However, they need to be read in the context of what the 16th century Catholic Church believed Lutheranism to be saying and what they now acknowledge Lutherans actually believe. That context is laid out in the Joint Declaration of the Doctrine of Justification issued by the CC and the Lutherans. Since no-one seems to have bothered to read the link. I'll quote the salient points, with some parts italicised by me for emphasis:-

3. Let me give you a scenario which DOES fall under the anathemata of Trent: suppose you had in your church a visiting practising homosexual who prayed the sinner's prayer, invited Christ into his life and was firmly told that homosexual behaviour was prohibited to the Christian, but nevertheless continued to conduct a sexual relationship with his male partner. Would you say that man was saved? Or what if he was celibate for a while and then fell back into his old lifestyle unrepentedly? Unless you are a strict 5-point TULIP Calvinist believing in OSAS, I think the answer (in so far as we can ever judge someone else's salvation) is 'no'. That's what Trent was about: the CC heard and read Luther's works and saw the fruits of that, which is some cases were of course very good, but in other cases, particularly in the Germany of the 1520s, amounted to gross licentiousness, 'sinning so that grace abounded'; this horrified the Catholic hierarchy which met at Trent and they - rightly IMO - condemned that attitude.

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

This message went BUMP. [​IMG]

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt and B-G,

I have never heard from you commenting on Idol making and Idol worship. Do you consent to those reality of RC?

I want to hear about your comments on this:

http://www.aloha.net/%7Emikesch/crown.htm

Especially your Holy Father crowns the Idol !

Maybe next Holy Father may crown Samba Lady!

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

As far as I'm concerned, the Catholics do neither.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

8. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Interestingly, there is a story in the newspaper that serves the county I live in with an interesting quote in it.

The story is about "Ash Wednesday", which had just been the previous day. They spoke with the priest at the Catholic Church in that city, and he said this...

(bolding mine)

Of course this makes perfect sense, considering that to the Catholic heaven is something given to those who earn it by being good enough.

"For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith. And that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Link

Grace and peace,

Mike

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Then you are turning faith itself into a work.

Er...that's not what the quote says. It is the Holy Spirit who works through the word of God and the sacraments Jesus instituted.
    Only according to your personal interpretation of the Bible. If however you, as countless Christians have done from Apostolic times, read the Scriptures through the illumination of the Holy Spirit as mediated through Christ's Church, then you will be able to see that there is plenty in Scripture to support a sacramental economy of sanctification - Mark 16:16, Jn 3:5, Jn 6:32-59,Acts 2:38-39.
    No it doesn't! It isn't! How many times to I have to state the glaringly obvious! You obviously haven't bothered to read the links I gave to the Catechism or the JDDJ; if you did, it would be staring at you in the face that it is not a 'works' salvation. (We really need a 'bashing my head against a brick wall' graemlin.)
    Faith does not work through the sacraments; however God's sanctifying grace is communicated (amongst other ways) through these. These are however not works of man but works of God - how can they be otherwise, since they were instituted by the Lord Himself?!

Wrong again! See my comment above.

And how do I know that that is not what you're doing? All I have to go on is your diktat of 'Scripture says...' followed by your personal interpretation of what 'Scripture' apparently 'says'

And, Mike, you and I both know that he was talking about sanctification; surely you want to be as close to God as you possibly can during your life here on earth? I think I need say no more about that... ;)

10. D28guy

D28guy New Member

MattBlack,

(bolding mine)

Ahhh, but that is identical to the Jehovahs Wittnesses, Mormons, Branch Davidians, an Jim Jones.

They all say that very same thing...

"...read the Scriptures through the illumination of the Holy Spirit as mediated through the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, then you will be able to see..."

"...read the Scriptures through the illumination of the Holy Spirit as mediated through the Book of Mormon and Doctrines and Covenants, then you will be able to see..."

"...read the Scriptures through the illumination of the Holy Spirit as mediated through David Koresh, then you will be able to see..."

"...read the Scriptures through the illumination of the Holy Spirit as mediated through Jim Jones, then you will be able to see..."

In several previous posts it has been demonstrated that the Catholic Church promotes the very works based false gospel that God places his curse upon in the book of Galatiens.

Now hopefully you can see that the Catholic Church uses the same indoctrination tactics as these other cults in order to keep people in bondage to them.

The Catholic Church tells its people...

"YOU have no right to interpret the scriptures. You are unable to do that. You need US to do that for you. You must NEVER attempt to interpret the scriptures...you must always believe exactly the way we command, because WE have the key to unlock the scriptures, and you dont".

That is "cultism explained 101", Matt.

How can you not see something so clear?

Sadly,

Mike

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

...except that that teaching authority - that of the Church - was founded on Christ and the Apostles, not some latter-day 'prophet'. And I never experienced any 'bondage' or mind-control in the way you describe it in my 16 or so years as a Catholic.

Apples and oranges.

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

No. What he said was clearly in the context of making it to heaven when we die. or...being saved rather than going to hell.

When he spoke of doing those things because of what comes after Lent, he then said...clearly...that Catholics also do those things to be able to be "good enough" to be let into heaven for their goodness.

I dont know how you can miss it. I mean, I bolded the pertinent parts...

And what is the other reason?...

Why?

So they might be good enough for...

Mike

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yep...to be in the presence of the Holy and Living God ("Be holy as I am holy"). What's wrong with aspiring to that? Eminently Biblical, I'd say...

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

I spoke of the Catholic Church using the identical tactics as the Jehovahs Wittnesses, Mormons, David Koresh, etc, and you said...

Well of course the Catholic Church tells their people that!

IT...IS...A...LIE, Matt.

This monolithic organisation known today as the (((Catholic Church))) bears absolutly no resemblance, either visually, hierarchially, or doctrinally...to the church of "Christ and the apostles" in the 1st century.

The "Church of Christ and the Apostles" would not be overflowing with blashphemies, idolatry, false teaching and a false gospel.

Then why are you on these boards defending.....the indefensible?

God bless,

Mike

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The Catholic Church has not told me that. It's a conclusion I've reached through studying Scripture and Church history.

16. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

You must be a night owl like me, but its time for me to hit the sack.

Have a good day tomorrow, [​IMG]

God bless,

Mike

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It's tomorrow here already! Sleep well and have a good one yourself ;)

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Look at what?

20. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baruch considered as Bible by Catholics denounce the putting clothes or adornation on it as heretic. Have you read Baruch 6 ?