1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians STRONGLY support the 2ND AMENDMENT?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 25, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Bapmom,

Are you talking about Luke 22? That appears to be on the way to the Garden.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well I've been to Canada and happen to know they treat all of thier natives like princes. I also know there is no discrimination against blacks in Canada and there are no ghetto areas. Canada is absolutely perfect in every way.

As to the second ammendment, it was put in for a reason.I would protect my family from anybody.I would allow a lot more to be done to me then anybody in my family.

3. OCC

OCC Guest

PlainOldBill...you err in thinking your sarcasm is going to hurt me. I know what happened in my country and I know what happens to this day. And I don't like it. If you think Canada is absolutely perfect I have a ski lodge in Nebraska if you're interested.

Also, the verses in Scripture having to do with praying for your enemies, etc. and doing good to your enemies, etc. were put there for a reason.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Nowhere do the gospels state that he whipped people (though he was flogged by others -- without resisting). In fact, the gospels aren't even explicit that he whipped animals. For all we know he cracked the whip to startle the animals and cause them to scatter. Jesus did overturn tables and scatter coins. I don't see how that leads to a justification to shoot someone, though. </font>[/QUOTE]didn't say it did. (just read what I said and stop adding . he used a weapon. in what way? you don't know. I don't know. I did not imply or say in anyway how He used it.)

5. OCC

OCC Guest

Maybe Jesus beat all the liberals with the whip.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

But it was not to protect Himself, and it was not designed to kill. It was to drive the moneychangers out of His Father's house. </font>[/QUOTE]same reason I own a gun. show that I mean business. would Jesus have got the same response if He just asked the people to leave? I don't know. would He have used it on someone had they challenged Him? I don't know. doesn't mean that I would kill anyone because I own a gun.

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

BTW a whip can kill

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Can't imagine in the furthest stretch of my imagine Jesus carrying a sidearm.

9. OCC

OCC Guest

Oh come on C4K...don't ya know he packed heat, wore a cowboy hat and smoked Marlboro's. He didn't have a pickup truck though. :D

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

this got me thinking. Where did Jesus get the whip?

Indiana Jones

now you got some theme music when you picture Jesus in the temple with the whip.

[ September 28, 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: buckster75 ]

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Still no answer to Jesus saying

"Rejoice and be exceeding glad...pray for those who persecute your"

Or Peter writing in the context of persecution

"...leaving us an example, that ye should follow in His steps..."

Thoughts?

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I think we need to picture the setting of this event in modern times.

ok so you got the temple in let's say a wild west shootem up place like San Antonio. everybodies got a gun. (the common man anyway of which Jesus is). no one of these people is expecting to use these guns.it is kind of like the nuclear arms race. but things are not going well in the temple. and so to get the attention of every one Jesus fires off a couple of rounds.

I can see it.

13. buckster75

buckster75 Member

as I hold the guy who broke into my house to rob me (or worse) at gun point waiting for the police to get there . I will tell him I will be praying for him.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry, cannot see it AT ALL! Jesus packing a sidearm? No way.

Now, how about my still unanswered questions?

15. buckster75

buckster75 Member

If we follow we will have a sword. If that sword was a deterant from attack in todays world we would can easily translate that to firearms.

16. buckster75

buckster75 Member

not sure what your question are C4K

17. OCC

OCC Guest

Not necessarily though. With a sword one has to fight in close quarters. Therefore, it would be self-defense. With a gun, any coward could shoot from twenty feet away and claim it was "self-defense". See what I'm saying?

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

How do we reconcile the "fight off persecution" mindest with

"Rejoice and be exceeding glad"
    "Pray for them that persecute you"
    "Follow in His steps"

I have posted the references and context several times in this thread so am not going to post them all again.

Two swords for 11 men was not enough to fight off the Roman army, that was clearly not the purpose of taking the swords. But, that detracts from the questions I have been seeking an answer for for several pages.

19. buckster75

buckster75 Member

but If I got a sword and they got a gun do I really have any self defense. that is what I mean by todays world.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Still a sidetrack.

How do you explain the words of Jesus and the words of Peter?