1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured THE MARK OF GOD AND BEAST

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alex2165, Mar 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I am concerned, I've proven my case many times. As far as you are concerned, you've proven your case many times. I don't see any point in discussing this any further, since neither of us accepts the other's proof. Good day, Brother.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't wish to discuss it further, fine. I have the satisfaction of knowing I've likely warned some newer Christians that preterism is false by PRESENTING PROOF, as they can easily see for themselves with Scripture & a history book. However, I'll be happy to discuss other things with you whenever the occasion may arise.

3. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you never have any new or convincing arguments, I'd just as soon not continue. I have the satisfaction of letting other Christians know that Preterism is a viable alternative to the "Left Behind" scenarios that are so prevalent. Whether they accept the proof that I've offered, they should at least have a chance to take an objective look at it. I'm sure we will pick up our debate on another thread in the future. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We see the Olivet Discourse as it unfolds. They point to the beauty of the temple buildings and Jesus tells them they will be completely torn down, so that not even a stone would be upon another. They asked Him, ”Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”[Matthew 24:3] He then begins telling them of all that will transpire, all they will witness and even suffer through, some even dying. Even after the much bandied passage of Matthew 24:29-31, which many say is an end times event, Jesus said, ”Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.”[Matthew 24:34]

Say God shows me where you live and and tells me 3,362 years later that very place where you live at on March 28, 2022, is going to be nuked by a nuclear bomb. What good would it do me to warn you of this event?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the generation that sees the eschatological events begin will see them all. They haven't happened yet.

Are you gonna do as some other posters & claim the "time indicators" show those events have already happened, while stumped because they can't find them in history?

6. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still straightjacketed I see.

7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This generation
    Soon
    Near
    Quickly

Surely these all mean 2-3-4 millennia later. Only in dispensationalism…

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, then, please show us in history where those events occurred. Who were the beast & the false prophet? What did the marka the beast look like? When was the worldwide trib? When did a large meteor plunge into the Mediterranean, destroying a third of the ships in it?

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We went over this on another forum. Read the Olivet Discourse and then read Revelation. Revelation was written pre-70 AD and pointed to the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple. Granted, His second coming hasn’t happened yet, but the vast majority of Revelation was fulfilled in 70 AD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FACT:

9 That which hath been is that which shall be; and that which hath been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Ecc 1

...names, faces, places change but the same situations keep occurring over and over again....there is no new thing under the sun.

• Like Like x 1
  11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nupe! Rev was written during Domitian's reign(81-96 AD) And the other events simply haven't happened yet.

And the beast hasn't yet come, or else Jesus would now be here, or the beast would still be in power. Please carefully read Rev. 19:11-21.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That all changed about 900 years after Solly when Jesus came.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the fig tree blooming is in contrast to Jesus cursing the fig tree. Jesus purposely cursed the fig tree out of season. If Jesus cursed the fig tree for just being a fig tree, then it was not to teach or prophecy. It was God being mean and out of character.

If you are satisfied that Jesus was just teaching a lesson and being mean and out of character, then why include either stories? The Bible is not alledged to just being a science textbook. Normally Jesus had a definite purpose with every thing He did.

If you approach the Bible as just being a historical record or teaching us science, would that also be approaching it with a pre-bias view? I did not read the Bible with any pre-conceived notions. So sorry, that point will not work on me. Have I been swayed by other people's opinions? Sure. But not going to buy that opinion that the fig tree was just a science lesson. Jesus included it as a metric about His Second Comming and the end.

14. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    40 years in biblical terms is not soon either. Life expectancy was only 35 years. 70AD was about the third if not fourth generation since the OD. Not one single person in the crowd that day was still alive in 70AD. In fact God made the OT Hebrews to wander in the wilderness for 40 years to make sure all were dead dead. Were those 40 years only symbolic and perhaps they crossed the Jordan that same year?

You do realize that God could have let the Romans destroy Jerusalem a year after the Cross? Have you ever wondered why it happened 40 years later? Was it a repeat of the OT, and God was making sure every one was dead? That way no one could say that generation meant the end was that generation.

15. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I am convinced that Jesus was using the fig tree, and all the other trees, to make a point. He wasn't teaching science or botany, but was simply giving His disciples an object lesson. The point was that just as they knew Spring is near when the trees bloom, so they would also know by the signs that He gave them that the end of the (Old Covenant) age was near. Those signs came when Jerusalem was surrounded by armies, just as He said they would.

16. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would you know that nobody from His immediate audience that day would still be alive 40 years from then? I suggest that is speculation, Brother. The average life expectancy may have been shorter, but that doesn't change the definition of "generation". As a side note, even those who believe the events of the Olivet Discourse, Revelation, etc. are in our future believe that John wrote Revelation in the 90s. That would have made him a very old man, especially for that day and time.

Why did God wait 40 years to destroy Jerusalem? You made a good observation with the 40 years of Israel wandering in the wilderness. (I'm sure you were just being facetious with your question about the Israelite's 40 years of wandering, since this is recorded history.) Could be a connection, as it would be a pretty big coincidence. Even Jesus didn't know when it would happen, but He did know that it was coming. Regardless, Jesus told His immediate audience "they" would see the events He spoke of. Sure, we know that some definitely died. However, I have to take Jesus at His word.

#96 Lodic, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, ACTUALLY, the signs will mean that His return is near.

18. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must respectfully disagree, sir. The signs Jesus gave them were seen when Jerusalem was surrounded by armies. The disciples knew Jerusalem's desolation was near, just as surely as they knew that Summer is near when the fig tree puts forth its leaves.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the signs will be for the imminent return of Jesus. The disciples knew J's destruction was near when the Zealots & their buddies began an armed rebellion against Rome. They knew the Romans would react violently.

20. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree, of course. What specific signs do you see that make you believe Christ's return is near?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.