1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Reason why Calvinists and Arminians cannot agree

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MorseOp, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Wow. :rolleyes:

If I boast, I would only boast that I understand and know God, that He is the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, because that pleases HIM!

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Exactly correct, it is like the poor publican who did not boast of his obedience and good works toward God as the Pharisee did, but beat upon his chest and cried out, "God be merciful to me, a sinner". It is depending on God's goodness and mercy, not any merit or goodness in ourselves.

I am amazed that Calvinists do not understand this, they seem not to understand salvation at all.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well, what they have done is categorized humility and faith as a meritorious work of the law, and thus have concluded that if anyone has the capacity to humbly believe, then they would be earning or meriting their own salvation. We know that is not the case, but that is what they have wrongly concluded.

The Prodigal Son when standing at the pig sty had a decision to make. He could have acted in pride (the world would say independence and strength) and 'pulled himself up by his boot straps' and tried to make the best of his horrible life; or he could do what he did and surrender and go grovel to his daddy for help like the weak, poor soul he was. The world would call the choice of the prodigal to return home, weakness and a 'crutch.' But God gives grace to the humble. "Humble yourself and you will be exalted."

Faith and humility merit NOTHING! They are not "BETTER," they are weaker! Why else would God say that he CHOOSES THE WEAK to shame the wise? What is UNCONDITIONAL about that choice? He chooses to grace the weak ones!

Do Calvinists think God makes them weak in order to have weak ones to choose? It makes little sense....

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yeah, they don't get it.

[​IMG]

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.pb.org/pbdocs/chhist5.html

For spiritual enrichment & edification

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you would would have any trouble making these same accusations to Charles Spurgeon directly then?

#146 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
  7. Winman

Winman Active Member

I like this image even better, we see how the young man came home in his filthy rags, embarrassed and ashamed for all the sin he had committed, asking only that he be made a servant. But his father is merciful and restores him to be a son.

[​IMG]

#147 Winman, Oct 6, 2012
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ding Ding Ding......Nasty comment alert!

I am amazed that Calvinists do not understand this, they seem not to understand salvation at all.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six pages of post since I posted which received no comments which is also ok for I am an old and uneducated person and can live with it.

Six pages of Christians calling one another all kind of names.

Love one another.

Doctrines of Grace?

For by grace are ye saved through the faith;

If grace is only applied because of our reaction to something which God did; How can it be grace?

Where does grace come from? Does grace come directly to us or does it come to us through someone else? Was that grace first given to someone else and then is given to us? What does through mean? Heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ. What does that mean? Does Jesus actually inherit something from God the Father that we also shall inherit? What?
    Grace maybe? What about eternal life?
    For the wages of sin death; but the gift of God eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why dont you go ask your brother...isnt he a Calvinist?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Absolutely, I would show him the same scriptures I showed you.

I have respect for scholars like Spurgeon, but I also understand they were educated to believe certain doctrines. Spurgeon believed in Irresistible Grace and so believed God imposes faith on a person. This is not what scripture says at all. When Jesus sent his disciples out, he told them to knock on people's doors. If they were invited in they went in and lodged there. If the folks were not interested in hearing the gospel and would not invite them in, Jesus instructed them to knock the dust off their feet as a testimony that they had tried to tell them the gospel, but they refused. They then left and went to another door.

Scriptures never show God forcing himself on people as Calvinism teaches.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

(See bolded part) That is simply not true. You are fond of making blanket statements, aren't you? And false blanket statements, at that. How many Anglican churches have you worshiped in? I've worshiped in a few, and I didn't find any dead ritualism. Conversely, I have found that in some non-liturgical churches, Baptist included. "Lead in prayer", sing a hymn, preach, "lead in prayer", sing a hymn, see you next week, go home.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id sell tickets to that event. :laugh:

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Here is what you said: "It is really said that Particular Baptists, in all humility, give all the honor and Glory to God, while the General Baptists, in sinful human pride, try to appropriate some of that honor and glory for themselves."

I stand by my statement.

Or maybe you didn't mean it the way it came across.

#154 Michael Wrenn, Oct 6, 2012
  15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And did you know that scientists have discovered the first gay gene, in the Episcopal Church? Gene Robinson, bishop of New Hampshire.

Forgive me. :)

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I'm going to tell you something friend, when you die and you stand before St. Peter (yes, I know this is not how it really happens) and they ask why you should be allowed in, you aren't going to be able to say you knew Charles Spurgeon or R.C. Sproul. No man is going to get you into heaven, except to cast yourself on Jesus Christ the way the prodigal son cast himself on his father's mercy.

No church, no religion, no theologian is going to get you into heaven, only Jesus.

Spurgeon was a good man, but he was just a man like you and me. He taught a lot of truth, but he taught a lot of error as well. And Irresistible Grace is error not taught anywhere in scripture. You never see God force or impose faith on anyone in scripture.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No worries Winman.....Im already saved. No other commentary necessary & no other dialog required (ever)

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is Calvinists don't know what in the world they are talking about which is displayed in this post for all to see. the problem is not hermeneutics it is Calvinist ideology.

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or maybe you failed to understand a true, historic statement concerning the price paid for their faith by the Particular Baptists.

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you please point out, using the 5 Heads of Doctrine, published in 1619 at Dort, the errors you believe exist in believing in Particular redemption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.