1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did John the Baptist Get saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, May 8, 2006.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Luke, chapter 1
    "15": For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

SMM;The fact is that no one was ever indwelt by the Spirit until salvation,

(Looks like you are agreeing with me now for as the above Scripture says John was filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb.)
    </font>[/QUOTE]"Filled" and "indwelt" are not the same thing: Saul prophesied as he was filled with the Spirit, but no O.T. saint was ever indwelt by the Spirit, including JtB.

I will ask you to move beyond the same passage you continually keep quoting now.

I agree he was filled, but not indwelt. Indwelling indicates that sealing unto the day of redemption. Being filled only still means controlled by the Spirit. Baalim's donkey is the key example of just how the Spirit can fill a vessel/ animal/man, or even an inanimate object.

We certainly wouldn't equate the tree falling upon the moonshiners' still as being "saved" because Sheffey prayed that God would send a tree down smashing his still, and it certainly would have been "filled" to precisely direct that tree over 300ft down a mountain and smashed it to nothing.

I think you're still hung up on the fact JtB was filled, but yet cannot see that he still needed to be indwelt.

Does God fill/control something or some one that isn't saved? Yes.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Blackbird! Don't you know any better to expose supposed facts with the real facts? [​IMG]

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

If the person was saved, see if they are still "filled" with the Spirit for us, OK? But if you can't find Him, remember it is He that delivers into the very presence of God the Father with Jesus seated at the Righthand.

If that person was indwelt, the Spirit delivers, if that person was only filled, the Spirit departed, because where the Spirit is, there is liberty, not death.

BTW, sorry to here about the funeral, if you know what I mean: Hope it was a good one!

And if you don't, FIND OUT!!! I've been to some great funerals!!!/Graduations/ Homegoings.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Does God fill/control something or some one that isn't saved? Yes. ( You believe that sinners has the Holy Ghost?)

As far as the funeral there was a good feeling for she had lived the life of a good Christian woman and we all felt that when the death angel came her way that there was other angels to carry her soul to Jesus where it will be at rest until the resurrection when it will be reunited with a spiritual body and then both soul and body will go to Heaven to live forever where there will be no dying, tears or suffering but joy and peace for ever. Amen,

BBob

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not to derail this thread, but do you belive in "soul rest"? What do you mean "reunited with a spiritual body"? You don't belive in a physical resurrection? These are main staples of baptists and I'm curious.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It shall be sown a natural but raised a spiritual

Apostle Paul said I have a desire to depart for to be with Christ is far better. Also he said there is a rest that remaineth for them that serve the Lord.

Also, the Scripture says, I would not have you ignorant brethren concerning them that are asleep, that you sorrow not as others that have no hope, for if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, evenso them that are asleep in Jesus will God bring with him. (quoting from memory)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I don't agree about your interpretation of "sleep", and our bodies being raised "spiritual", I was just curious about your statement.

...back to the topic...

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1 Corinthians, chapter 15
    "42": So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

"43": It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

"44": It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

WHY??? You do believe in a resurrection don't you?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe in a physical resurrection, and God spiritually renewing our physical bodies in the same manner Jesus left with, making them fit to live forever.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So you believe that angels take the occupation of the Holy Ghost away and prevent Him from doing what He does best?

I believe and know that God controls those sinners He uses to bring conviction to the ones He's seeking to save, including those He uses that He would save them too.

Example: Don't remeber her name, but as I was out in sin, before I got saved, God used a lady to say something to me that really caught me "offguard". I would be a fool to think anything other than God was speaking through her, though she was lost too, to speak directly to me.

Would you deny God does that?

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I don't care to comment on your travel but do not believe the world has the Holy Ghost.

As far as the angels carrying her soul to Heaven, I will give you this Scripture.

Luke, chapter 16
    "22": And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

Why do you continue to deny the Scripture?

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I see 2 people already commented on this on p. 11.

Me4Him, do you deny the physical resurrection of the body?

And where are you getting these teachings about Satan eating flesh. God created the body -- the body is not evil. It's fallen and mortal but not evil. And the body will be resurrected.

Where do you get these teachings? :confused:

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I just saw the post you referenced, Marcia. Where does he get those teachings? From Gnosticism, pure and simple.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

webdog; that is what I said. The Scripture calls it raised a Spiritual body. (one that can't die, ok) I guess we running past each other. [​IMG]

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would like Me4Him to answer for him/herself.

Me4Him??

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Confusion in terminology, I guess.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I have never denied any Scripture.

You obviously don't know the difference between Paradise/Abraham's Bosom and Heaven.

I believe the world does have the Holy Ghost: convincing and reproving the world of sin, convincing and converting the penitent soul that doth on Jesus lean for repose.

Now if you spoke intelligibly, you might have stated that the world is not indwelt by the Holy Ghost and I would agree.

Now if you want to continue to be condescending with your remarks about my agreement with ANY Scripture, you should ask what I believe about ANY Scripture first.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

BTW, when Lazarus was carried away into Paradise, it would have been by the angels, especially since the Holy Ghost was yet to be given.

First learn the Scripture, they will make you wise unto salvation, Jesus promised it!

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Confusion in terminology, I guess. </font>[/QUOTE]I supose that now we should ask him about the lost souls, do they receive a spirit body that will not die?
    ;)

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Salamander; Continuing with condescending, please let me give you another Scripture which you seem so easily deny.

Acts, chapter 8

"18": And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

"19": Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

"20": But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

"21": Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.

"22": Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

"23": For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

Now by the power of the Holy Ghost;

Titus, chapter 2

"11": For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

"12": Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

"13": Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

"14": Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

(The world don't have it and can't get it unless they heed to the call of God to repent and believe.)