David Lamb
Well-Known Member
I would just say that I was not addressing the matter of who should preach, but answering Deacon and Ben1445. Deacon had written:Neither men nor women are to use their position to dominate the people they are over.
A quote from Deacons post #28
"but the teaching in which women were engaged was characterised by an overbearing attitude. In other words, the quiet demeanour and recognition of authority which are to characterise the learner are contrasted with teaching in a manner which is heavy-handed and abuses authority. αὐθεντεῖν as a reference to ‘authority’ (leadership) unrelated to teaching would exceed the scope of the discussion initiated at v. 11. It is, therefore, more likely that the verb characterises the nature of the teaching rather than the role of the women in church leadership in general" Marshall, I. Howard, and Philip H. Towner. 2004. A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Pastoral Epistles. International Critical Commentary. London; New York: T&T Clark International.
The restriction is not who can preach but rather their attitude when they do so.
"Therefore, women should not be placed in such a position to dominate over men."
Ben1445 replied:
"i.e. not pastors."
So I replied as I did, saying that according to Scripture, pastors and elders are not to dominate over the flock.