1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women in Ministry

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I still am utmost uneasy listening to a woman-preacher from behind a pulpit though. I'll never change for that matter, and never will have to - I believe - answer to God for.

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Greetings,

OF COURSE women can be in ministry.

I have no problem whatsoever with women being in ministry, being an evangelist, women teaching both men and women behind the pulpit in bible classes, women being co-pastors or even possibly the pastor of a bible believing conservative evangelical or pentecostal church.

Why? Because it is as scriptural as can be.

There is an abundance of evidence in the scriptures to support all of this, with the link in the opening post containing much of it.

And believe me, I am no ultra-liberal...nor even a liberal...period. I am a bible believing evangelical who, sadly, considers most of the liberal christian groups to be filled with almost as much error and the false teaching as church of Rome.

At my fellowship, we have 2 co-pastors who are both men, and our deacons are men. But we have 2 or 3 women who are prophets. (no particular reason they are women, they could just as well be men. They just happen to be women.) They prophesy only as God leads of course. Nothing is scheduled. But its wonderful when they do.

God bless,

Mike

#122 D28guy, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

By the way, in adition to the excellant material in the link from the opening post, there is also the "elect lady" and her "children" in 2 John.

Many are of the scriptural conviction that the lady being adressed is the pastor of that fellowship, and the "children" is referring to her congregation.

I'm sort of undecided on it...but its a possibility.

Mike

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is without question that God uses both men and women for His glory - but since the Scripture is clear that women are not to teach or have authority over men, then women cannot teach or have authority over men. Can women teach well? Yes. But does that make it right? No. Pastors and deacons are to be men as Scripture says.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

it's not really clear if it doesn't say it specifically though is it?

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Question: Are there Baptist churches with women pastors, women teachers or women deacons?

Just wondering.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The church I am a member of is Baptist and we have had three women ministers. Several Baptist churches where I was a member in the past have women deacons. Two are in Virginia and two are in Maryland.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. (1 Timothy 2:12-13)

9. gekko

gekko New Member

like i asked before..

what does this have anything to do with women teaching and not having authority over men?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently a lot!

11. gekko

gekko New Member

well.. it's just like saying.

i'm not going to go grocery shopping because white tigers are almost extinct.

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Regarding women in ministry, and in positions of authority, the following excerpts are taken from the General Council of the Assemblies of God website.

Hopefully this will help to enlighten all of us regarding the biblical justification for women to be free to speak in church, minister, and be in positions of leadership and authority.....

(again, these are excerpts. Click the link for the whole document)

http://www.ag.org/top/Beliefs/position_papers/pp_4191_women_ministry.cfm

God bless,

Mike

#132 D28guy, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why should the AG hold any kind of authority, particularly when Scripture states one must be the husband of one wife?

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously because it is talking about the requirement for men. [By the way Paul does not quality, or so it seems.] A woan in that day and time could not divorce her husband, so obviously she could only have one husband. Now if he died and she remarried ... that is if some man married her .... she still would have only one husband. But in that society as women were held in very low regard by most that a similiar requirement for women would never have entered their heads. So the verse is not a proof text for men only. :tonofbricks:

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry, but the Scripture is not talking about the requirements for men. It is talking about the requirements for an elder...leaders in the church. This requirement is for leadership to be men with no exceptions.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, for male elders.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is the presupposition you are reading into the text, then.

If I'm putting together a football team and I declare that my quarterbacks "must be" 6' 5", I'm declaring WHO can be my quarterback...somebody who is 6'5". I'm not leaving the option open for quarterbacks shorter than that.

The text in question is doing just that. It is giving a requirement who can be God's "quarterback" so to speak...MEN.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are just too many other verses, too many other examples for your belief to hold. You need to stop being a liberal in trying to make the Bible say what you want it to say, and beging looking at the Bible as a whole and letting it speak and educate you. Proof texting is a liberal approach, attempting to make the Bible mean what it does not mean ... i.e. to fit a preconceived set of beliefs. As males we must get out egos out of the way so God can speak truth to us.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You believe women can be pastors...and you have the gall to label me "liberal"?!? :laugh:

Try a proper hermeunetic approach to Scripture...don't interpret the Scripture giving the point blank requirements for elders through "Deborah was a judge" or "Phoebe was called a diakonos (servant)". You have done what you have accused me of...proof texting the CLEAR and PRECISE requirements to fit your religion / beliefs.

It has nothing to do with egos, but obedience to God's Word.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely, it is liberal to attempt, with proof texts, to force the Bible to say what you want it to say. You must look at the Bible as a whole. There are many passages supporting the idea of women in many roles. Drop the male ego and get with the Bible.:tonofbricks: