1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Confessions of a Former Worship Leader

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Aaron, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

The Scriptures do not explicitly state or even imply that there is such a thing as an "evil form" of music.

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I stand by my previous statement, Aaron. The Holy Spirit has repeatedly shown me that all the readings of the Bible, hundreds of sermons personally prepared and preached, the multiple readings of the entire Bible, the 21 years of ministry experience, etc. (ad nauseum, pls. forgive me, Lord) have given me a phenomenal strength and wisdom IN HIM. None of my pre-regenerate reading, studying, and preaching,full-time Christian service, Christian college training, continuing education, etc. were in vain. The acuity that I presently possess because of His grace in salvation has repeatedly stunned me and has been mercifully used for the benefit and help of many people that He has privileged me to minister to in the last 8 months of true regeneration. He is so good!

What is so hard to see about this? The Holy Spirit has just activated the full complement of experiences, education, and tools listed above. That's the only change.

I don't think it takes rocket science to see this and understand this. Do the rest of you (beyond Aaron) get where I am coming from? Please feel free to respond.

Please do me a favor--do not take this as the spirit of arrogance. All of what I am and can do is of His grace and by His mercy. I get that. I don't think I am anybody special. I am just a sinner saved by grace that God has graciously chosen to redeem and use for His glory! I count all of my education, experience, etc. as loss for the privilege of getting to know Him better. I truly mean that from my heart.

Can any of you relate? Speak up.

3. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Daniel,

I understand and can relate fully to what you've experienced and your description of your experiences. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I went through the same 30 years ago when I became a Christian and over those years God has used the gifts that He gave me to glorify Him!

In Christ,

Dale

4. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Thanks, Dale. I, too, have a passion to glorify God through what He has given me in His grace. I am a nobody that He has chosen to save and use me in spite of me and all of my shortcomings.To Him be the glory! [​IMG]

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever, Daniel. :rolleyes: Now, enough about you. Could you now apply your "phenomenal wisdom" to the questions that were posed? Thank you.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scriptures do not explicitly state or even imply that there is such a thing as an "evil form" of music. </font>[/QUOTE]Travelsong, I haven't been avoiding your question. The New & Improved Phenomenally Wise Daniel has asserted that the Bible does not address musical styles, Something I believe I effectively rebutted with Scripture. Whether you think that the Scriptures say certain styles are wrong or not is not the issue yet.

Can we agree that the Scriptures at least address them, even vaguely?

7. Sularis

Sularis Member

The Bible mentions clothing too Aaron

The Bible mentions gender

The Bible mentions a lot of things

The Bible does mention what purpose music is to be put to - it does NOT mention style

The Bible also mentions your attitude towards new believers and It let me paraphrase tells you to shut up.

Young in faith or young in age is no reason to dismiss or belittle someone's opinion.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sularis, I'll take that as a no.

Anyone else? Bonga Dale? Beaner? Daniel?

BTW if you want to see how I respond to new converts, please CLICK HERE .

But in this thread, Daniel presented his recent conversion and "phenomenal strength and wisdom" as credentials for his authority to make certain judgments. He submitted them as evidence, and I had to rebut it.

If he had addressed the actual arguments with something other than his personal experiences, this thread would have gone a little smoother.

9. wtrsju

wtrsju New Member

Aaron your attitude towards Daniel is truly sad. You are showing very little respect towards someone who obviously has a heart for God. I enjoyed reading this thread because it had valuable information in it from both sides. Your attitude is exactly the attitude that many on the "contemporary" side find so nauseating. You personally attack someone for talking about personal experience. You did not rebut anything, you simply kept to your close mindedness and condemnation of something very positive (CCM). This might help since you seem to have such a grasp on this subject. Outline exactly why CCM is wrong. Don't refute anything, just outline in one post why CCM is wrong. This way we can have a clear view of your argument in an ordely fashion. If it helps just give us 10 talking points. Just 5 or 10 reasons, supported by scripture (not experience because that's not good enough for you) for all of us to work with.

10. wtrsju

wtrsju New Member

Also please tell us what we can listen to without sinning. Classical, hymns etc. and why we can listen to each of these forms. Please give reasons for each form to support your assertion.

11. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Hey Daniel, Your right on bro., Keep speaking the truth brother.
    In Him,
    bruren777
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

12. Daniel

Daniel New Member

bruren...I plan on it! I just try to avoid traps and petty arguments. When the Bible doesn't speak on something it doesn't speak on something. It's that simple! [​IMG]

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been overwhelmed in the actual public forum and by the many PMs sent to me. Thanks to all!! [​IMG] I will get back to you in the PMs when I have a few minutes to respond to them all...

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the Bible address musical styles at all, even vaguely?

So far two say yes and two say no.

14. whatever

whatever New Member

Vaguely, yes. Use whatever you have to praise the Lord.

Now help a brother out. What may I listen to without sinning?

15. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Sularis,

Great post! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Christ,

Dale

16. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Aaron,

Scripture itself does not assign evil or good to styles of music,only the purposes that music may be used for.

What makes music evil is intent,content,and context. All of these come from within a person since we compose music with intent,context,to be played in paticular contexts.

In Christ,

Dale

17. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

I wrote: " All of these come from within a person since we compose music with intent,context,to be played in paticular contexts."

It should read: " All of these come from within a person since we compose music with intent and content ,to be played in particular contexts." [​IMG]

In Christ,

Dale

18. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I am in total agreement with you, Dale. Wherever this is not an absolute in the Scriptures, we can only look at the intent, content, and context.

There is no way to ever agree on what is The appropriate music style to communicate our praise to and worship of God.

No "list" is available, appropriate, or universal.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The count is now 4 yes and 1 no.

Daniel you appear to have changed your vote. Where before you were emphatic the Bible did not address them, you seem compelled by the consensus of your friends to concede the point as well.

(Sularis actually voted yes & no, so I took it as a no.)

Okay. We are agreed. The Bible does indeed address musical styles.

What does it say? I'm not looking for a book-length response here. whatever simply said the Bible tells us to "use whatever we have to praise the Lord." That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, only I want you to provide a Scriptural reference—and,no, you don't get to copy each other.

(This is working up to an answer for your question, Travelsong.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.