1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Did John Piper Become A Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AustinC, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Twice I have quoted the verse you claimed and shown you to be wrong.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you did, and you know what you did, but folks, note not one Calvinist has stood up for truth and rebuked Austin.

Lets return to Romans 9:16, which teaches people will to be saved. This does not mean their willing accomplished salvation because salvation does not depend on willing to be saved. This is Mr. AustinC's misrepresentation.

How can we discuss the flaws in Mr. Piper's reasoning, when people like Mr. AustinC are allowed to derail discussion with absurdity?

Folks, when a doctrine is supported by false assertions, that doctrine is bogus.

If people will to be saved then Total Spiritual Inability, which claims fallen people are unable to choose to make godly choices is false. But this obvious truth completely escaped Mr. Piper.

3. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van states: "Lets return to Romans 9:16, which teaches people will to be saved."

Here is what Romans 9:16 says. Let the reader decide if Van is correct.

Romans 9:16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, where is it?

5. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you walk through the chapter and give the reasons why you think luke is telling us about a choosing to salvation before the foundation of the world as taught by Calvinism?

6. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mercy towards the gentiles .

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since salvation does not depend on the "one willing" but on God who has mercy, obviously willing to be saved does not accomplish salvation.

AustinC is simply sidetracking discussion of the basis of Mr. Piper's Calvinism because Mr. Piper reasoning is flawed and will not stand up to study.

When is God at work in us according to Philippians 2:12-13? After we are sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit. Mr. Piper attempts to claim we were compelled to believe before we were put into Christ. Not how it reads.

Romans 9:16 does teach it is God who decides who to save. Not in dispute. But the verse also teaches the fallen seek to be saved to no avail.

The fallen seek to be saved to no avail. That means seeking does not accomplish salvation.

Can fallen people save themselves? Nope.

Can fallen people seek to save themselves? Yes

Is total spiritual inability, the T of the TULIP thus proven false by Romans 9:16? Yes

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think Luke wrote the epistle to the Ephesians?
    Barry, you are constantly trying to move goalposts.
    Passages have been shared. Context has been provided. At some point you need to take personal responsibility to actually read the Bible, without your preconceived filter, and let God speak to you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does it say? Let's have context help.

Romans 9:14-18 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

10. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep reading till chapter 11 please
    Rom 11.32 For God hath concluded them ALL in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon ALL.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse does not teach what you claim. The reader can decide.

Romans 9:16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

Romans 3:10-18 disagrees with you.

As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” “Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive.” “The venom of asps is under their lips.” “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.” “Their feet are swift to shed blood; in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known.” “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

Romans 3:10-18 disagrees with your assertion.

12. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed
    No mention of God ordaining / disposing/ appointing anyone .
    No mention of ' before the foundation of the world ' And when you read the narrative its clear its they themselves that appointed themselves.
    42¶And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
    This is then made clear by the Jews who ' choose 'themselves to not believe here ...46Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a perfect example of you neglecting context. The entire chapter is important to us, but I will quote the section around your one verse so you and others can see your error.

Romans 11:25-36 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”; “and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.” As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience, so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy. For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all. Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

The reader can determine if you have spoken truth or falsehood.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AustinC copy and pastes old Calvinist assertions, one after another.
    He claims Romans 9:16 does not teach people seek to be saved to no avail, and strive to be saved to no avail, because Calvinism claims fallen people are unable to seek and to strive to be saved.

And so, he ignores the obvious truth of Romans 9:16, and goes to another misunderstood mainstay of Calvinism (Romans 3:10-18). But the passage provides absolutely no support for Total Spiritual Inability.

Are the fallen righteous? Nope - so not in dispute
    Do we understand all things? Nope - so not in dispute
    Does no one seeks God mean no one seeks God all the time? If so, not in dispute.
    Does no one seeks God mean no one seeks God when sinning? If so, not in dispute.
    Does no one seeks God mean no one ever seeks God? Nope, Romans 9:16 precludes that interpretation.
    Does the passage cited by Paul (Psalms 14) say some people seek God as a refuge? Yes

So what Calvinism does is interpret "no one seeks God" to mean "no one ever seeks God" an obviously bogus interpretation, but Calvinists copy and paste it over and over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved
    This is the answer, and the bit you missed and failed to highlight. Notice who is ' partially hardened ? This is who the objector is . Jews complaining about this temporary hardening ( due to their disobedience)and the gentiles only having to come by grace through faith .

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, you accuse me of plagiarism. Tell me, from what writing of John Calvin and his disciples have I copied and pasted?

The reader can see that I copy and paste scripture. Do you, therefore, call scripture "old Calvinist assertions?"

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another Calvinist ploy, change the subject.

AustinC copy and pastes old Calvinist assertions, one after another.
    He claims Romans 9:16 does not teach people seek to be saved to no avail, and strive to be saved to no avail, because Calvinism claims fallen people are unable to seek and to strive to be saved.

And so, he ignores the obvious truth of Romans 9:16, and goes to another misunderstood mainstay of Calvinism (Romans 3:10-18). But the passage provides absolutely no support for Total Spiritual Inability.

Are the fallen righteous? Nope - so not in dispute
    Do we understand all things? Nope - so not in dispute
    Does no one seeks God mean no one seeks God all the time? If so, not in dispute.
    Does no one seeks God mean no one seeks God when sinning? If so, not in dispute.
    Does no one seeks God mean no one ever seeks God? Nope, Romans 9:16 precludes that interpretation.
    Does the passage cited by Paul (Psalms 14) say some people seek God as a refuge? Yes

So what Calvinism does is interpret "no one seeks God" to mean "no one ever seeks God" an obviously bogus interpretation, but Calvinists copy and paste it over and over.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let us read all of Romans 11. The reader can observe what God says. I am happy to broaden the verses for us to observe.

Romans 11:1-36 I ask, then, has God rejected his people? By no means! For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he appeals to God against Israel? “Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life.” But what is God’s reply to him? “I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace. What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened, as it is written, “God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that would not see and ears that would not hear, down to this very day.” And David says, “Let their table become a snare and a trap, a stumbling block and a retribution for them; let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see, and bend their backs forever.” So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous. Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion mean! Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? If the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches. But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again. For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree. Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”; “and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins.” As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience, so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy. For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all. Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

The reader can observe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, the reader can determine our dialogue. You can whine to highest heaven and deflect to Calvin all you want, but the reader can decide if you have any legitimacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged.”
    ‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭2:14‬ ‭ASV‬‬

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.