1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured TULIP -

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Salty, Jul 9, 2021.

?
  1. Total Depravity

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Unconditional Election

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Limited Atonement

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Irresistible Grace

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. Perseverance of the Saints

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  6. I agree with all Five

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  7. I do not agree with any of the five

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Other Answer

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't understand how it works. The New Birth is a new person that can not live in sin. It's like if God changes a cat into a dog, the new creature will be a dog. The will never enters into it. You need to grasp this.

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you meaning Old Covenant (Sinai Covenant) and New Covenant (established by Jesus in the revised Passover meal in the upper room? I would agree.
    In Matthew 5-7 (the Sermon on the Mount) we see Jesus address the fact that salvation was always by grace through faith when he gives us the beatitudes. After the beatitudes, Jesus switches to show what one must do if one is to keep the law. Jesus tells us that we must be more righteous than the Pharisees when the people wonder how they could ever be saved by keeping the law. In the sermon, Jesus is correcting the failed teaching of the Pharisees and reminding the people that God saves by grace through faith.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats nice your living a sinless life. Dave i Will never be a Calvinist. I'm already saved and the Lord watches over me to keep me from being deceived .
    If it was really is as you say then I couldn't do any thing about it anyways. Thank God it isn't as you say.
    MB

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I am understand your view. All teachings regardless prior to the death burial and resurrection are Old Testament. We do not agree.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” 1 John 3:9 (KJV 1900)

You are espousing the heresy of antinomianism. And do not seek God's righteousness instead of your own.

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can the Christ in you sin?... Brother Glen:)

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul said' Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. You have God coming to you instead saving you then you believe. You have it backwards Dave. You need to take what Paul says seriously instead of twisting it around like JW's do.
    MB

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    30 Jesus made answer and said, A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho; and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
    31 And by chance a certain priest was going down that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
    32 And in like manner a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side.
    33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he was moved with compassion,
    34 and came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on them oil and wine; and he set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
    35 And on the morrow he took out two shillings, and gave them to the host, and said, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, I, when I come back again, will repay thee.
    36 Which of these three, thinkest thou, proved neighbor unto him that fell among the robbers?
    37 And he said, He that showed mercy on him. And Jesus said unto him, Go, and do thou likewise. Lk 10

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can Christ sin? How can we sin if we have his imputed righteousness? We cannot sin any more than He can. But we have our own meager righteousness that is an attempt to be like Him in thanks for saving us. But it can never save. And it molests us day and night until we die and the earth dissolves it. That is why we pray "lead us not into temptation".

10. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot "choose the real Christ" unless you are first saved by grace. It then happens as God reveals Him to you.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show proof from scripture. I'm not talking about what you think says it, but show the truth, word for word from scripture.. I've shown you how Paul explained it and what He says is not what you claim.Is Paul a liar?
    It's funny you think God saves you with out faith yet you cannot show this in scripture. This proves you are deceived about it..
    MB

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 16:17 (KJV 1900)

“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV 1900)

“For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.” 1 Corinthians 2:11–12 (KJV 1900)

“But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.” 2 Corinthians 4:3–4 (KJV 1900)

13. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It’s not that I disagree with the Calvin mindset as much as it is the demonic like spirit behind the man… Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. - Revelation 3:4

Did John Calvin defile his garments in toasting Michael Servetus?

“Neither God nor his Spirit have counselled such an action. Christ did not treat those who negated him that way.” - Italian poet Camillo Renato on the Servetus execution

“To kill a man is not to protect a doctrine, but it is to kill a man.” - French humanist Sébastien Chateillon on the Servetus execution

“I consider it a serious matter to kill men because they are in error on some question of scriptural interpretation, when we know that even the elect ones may be led astray into error.” - Michael Servetus

In 1908 a monument to Servetus was erected in the French city of Annemasse, some three miles [5 km] from the spot where he died. An inscription reads: “Michel Servetus, . . . geographer, physician, physiologist, contributed to the welfare of humanity by his scientific discoveries, his devotion to the sick and the poor, and the indomitable independence of his intelligence and his conscience. . . . His convictions were invincible. He made a sacrifice of his life for the cause of the truth.”

And to try to bail himself out of hot water Calvin says... "Whoever shall maintain that wrong is done to heretics and blasphemers in punishing them makes himself an accomplice in their crime and guilty as they are. There is no question here of man's authority; it is God who speaks, and clear it is what law he will have kept in the church, even to the end of the world. Wherefore does he demand of us a so extreme severity, if not to show us that due honor is not paid him, so long as we set not his service above every human consideration, so that we spare not kin, nor blood of any, and forget all humanity when the matter is to combat for His glory."

It seemed like Calvin himself would pay for such criminal deeds as his health receded in his fifties.

Fatally ill, and with blood flowing from his mouth, the 54 year-old pastor-theologian was carried to Saint Pierre in a chair. He was a man acquainted with pain. He suffered from terrible hemorrhoids, asthma, kidney stones, pulmonary tuberculosis, and gout. Fever was a consistent companion, and now he had ruptured blood vessels in his lungs due to his violent coughing spells. This same month he wrote of his tribulations to the doctors of Montpellier:

"But at that time [20 years ago] I was not attacked by gout, knew nothing of the stone or the gravel, was not tormented with the gripings of colic nor afflicted with piles nor threatened with haemorrhages. At present all these enemies charge me like troops. As soon as I recovered from a quartan fever, I was taken with severe and acute pains in my calves, which, after being partly relieved, returned a second and then third time. At last they turned into a disease of the joints, which spread from my feet to my knees. An ulcer in the haemorrhoid veins long tortured me ..." - John Calvin

I think Calvin messed up big time in having Servetus executed. Possibly even to the extent to his immortal soul.

14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was in no way directed to you Dave but to MB, who doesn't care what I say much... I know how you think... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poor you I just ignore what you say. When have you ever considered what I gave said.
    MB

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I voted for "other answer" and explained my vote in post #23. However, I may have voted for the "P" also, but I do not recall whether I did or not. While the "P" misses the mark (IMHO) it hits closer than "Easy Believism."

#76 Van, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you do, just two stubborn bullheaded brethren!... I consider what everyone says, I just disagree sometimes... Don't you?... Brother Glen:)

18. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am a supporter of the bbnradio.org, who will sometimes have a speaker speaking Calvin things. Which, I feel any of the TULIP can be presented truthfully. But…

13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
    14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
    15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. - James 3

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. - Galatians 5

Variance - éris, er'-is; of uncertain affinity; a quarrel, i.e. (by implication) wrangling:—contention, debate, strife, variance.

Quarreling is a spirit that resides in the flesh. And if such quarreling is turning to bloodshed I would question the origins of such spirit… Even though the mind is in the Bible.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know a dog named "DIPSTICK"

20. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Proof of your poor reading comprehension. (See bolded print)
    Note that 1689Dave does not say he lives a sinless life, yet that is what you declare he has stated. Your comprehension is poor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.