1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you stay? 3

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Davyboy, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is pretty broad. Can you give a list of what I must do to be saved? I'm sure the RCC has it all neat and tidy so you all can give the right and same answer. Adonia said you must sell everything and live homeless, is this on your list?

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you have a list to be saved?

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. Just one on my list.

Now you Catholics declare we all need the RCC for unity in doctrine, so we can all speak as one voice on these weighty matters such as salvation. But what I witness is that none of you know what one must do to be saved. You cannot even reiterate what the RCC says concerning this. What's up with that?

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you don't do what Jesus says?

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you Roman Catholic?

Your answer is: Believe on the Lord Jesus and do what he says.

Can you please explain this? If i believe in the historical person of Jesus and follow his sayings in Scripture i will be forgiven--is that what you are saying?

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I am Roman Catholic. If you place your faith in Jesus Christ submitting to him, his teachings which include repentance, yes you will be forgiven.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus gave many instructions, which I follow. The question is.....what did Jesus say to do to be saved? Waiting for your list.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    how perfectly does one have to obey in order to be forgiven? 100% of the commands 100% of the time, 50% of the commands 100% of the time? How do we know if we are on the right track?

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are being vague with "His teachings" since you know there are disagreements among Christians with the application of those teachings . But you have a HUGE advantage, at least Catholics brag they do, since they have the uniform teaching of the RCC handed down from the beginning. So it should be quite an easy task to give us all a list on everything a person needs to be saved, according to the RCC.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is it with you and lists? You don't even have a list you just have one thing faith in Jesus without having to do what he says. It seems you believe you're doing what he says but its clear you don't think you have to do them. Are they optional? I think my statement was pretty clear in suggesting what you needed to do to be saved. Believe (place your faith in) on the Lord Jesus and do what he says. Now what I think is that you really are looking for something else. You, I would guess, want to get into a discussion on Justification, Grace, etc... and how that works towards Salvation. If that is the case then ask that question. See Jesus spoke plainly to his disciples. The basic message remains the same. The understanding on the workings of it is where I think you want to go. But the straight answer is the one I gave. By the way Adonis was trying to make the point Jesus made to the rich young ruler which was give all of yourself to him holding nothing back (including wealth). Yes I agree with Adonis.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you repent that is sufficient to be forgiven. How you know your are on the right track is are you being, living, and thinking like Jesus more everyday? If not. You are not on the right track.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The subject with Adonia was eternal life. So what homeless shelter are you staying at? Or don't you agree with Jesus on that one?

13. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does it mean to repent?

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Someone once said repentance is like walking in one direction and turning 180 degrees changing direction. I like that. More specifically repentance is to agree with God that he is right you are wrong and sinful and to come to him sincerely sorry for your sin fully intending to turn your live around and follow the Father's will rather than your own.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is kind of a snarky reply don't you think? Fully giving yourself to Jesus doesn't mean to live in a homeless shelter but to be conformed to his image. If wealth is your idol then give it up. If it is something else then give that up. I think wealth was the rich young ruler's idol and Jesus fully knew it. Note he says afterwards that it is more difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom than a camel through and eye of a needle. It is clear that was that man's idol.

16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, in order to be saved, one must believe in Jesus, obey his teachings, turn your life around, intend to follow His will and no longer my own. And Once I've done all that, How do i know i'm forgiven?

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Full context...

Luke 18
    25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26Those who heard this asked,“Who then can be saved?” 27But Jesus said, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”…

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I fully agree. It was Adonia who included it as part of eternal life. And you said you agree with Adonia. Surely you can see how you guys are all over the place, yet you brag how the RCC keeps you all in one voice, one opinion on doctrine.

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, I am looking for the Catholic list on what i must do to be saved. Just saying "do what He says" doesn't cut it. Surely Catholics have a structured answer for this. I would hope you would think it is of the utmost importance.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all. Don't say "how you guys are all over the place" when you only present me with only part of what Adonia said. It seems your discussion with him was on faith itself. I am answering your questions specifically. However, it must be stated that the Catholic Church has a singular view where as there are many Baptist churches with different thoughts towards just about everything not mentioning all the other denominations. Members of the Catholic Church that express their views in which some are in line others are not.
    So, that aside don't you believe you must surrender yourself entirely to Jesus Christ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.