1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The P in T.U.L.I.P

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Jun 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a twisted grasp of perseverance.
    What do you fail to understand when God determines your position in Christ, gives you faith to believe and ensures your faith will persevere through the storms of life? How do you end up calling such a view "no better than works salvation?"
    It's clear you have adopted an extreme prejudice against anyone who believes in God's Sovereignty over all things. You now apply your bitterness to the fact that God, himself, enables you to persevere. I can only conclude that you don't want or need God and thus desire to save yourself by your own willpower. Otherwise you would fully embrace the perseverance of the saints.

2. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lordship salvation is the idea that all those that are saved must endure till the end to be
    ok let's see this played out . hopefully I can explain by example. Jesus said only to go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel . ok please answer why you dont preach this today ?
    question 2 before the cross the diciples were preaching the Gospel of the kingdom
    . Are you preaching this today ?

3. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont care about free will .Nor do I have a system I have to adhere to like calvernism..so I'm free just to believe what the bible actually says . I believe it pleases God in his sovereignty by the preaching of the Gospel to freely and kingly save those that believe . I believe God is free to do this . I do not tell God what he can and cannot do .

4. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your missing the point . Many a ' former calvernist has concluded that he must not be elect because of a failure and not persevering in good works and holiness ( after all how many good works and how holy ? right ? so what is his problem ? he has believed the idea calvernism teaches that an elect person will endure in good works ect . what is he looking to and trusting in ? his works . And how to distinguish between what works are self generated and those that God Is working in you can be subjective . But my point is that Calvernism is a system that leads to a self focused mentality . Many a Famous Calvernist has doubted there salvation even towards the very end because of the P in TULIP. Because your works are the supposed evidence . But what if your one of those that God has determined to fall away ( they went from us ... ect ) This is the issue of this unbiblical idea of the calvernist 'election 'to salvation.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please state your case, why do you claim the P does not provide eternal security?

6. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes in the Calvernist scheme apparently Jesus ensures your enduring faith and enables the perseverance. So when a person ( such as Derick web ) starts failing ( yes i know the Westminster confess says a caveat of sinning and failing to a degree . My point is that whilst there is an allowance of some hiccups, ultimately you must get to the end to see your saved ( elect ) this is no better than the calvernist lite position ( Arminism) which likewise the emphasis is on your endurance and perseverance.

7. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the Scheme is based on Election( to salvation) which no calvernist can truly know if he is one of the elect aside from his works . My security is based on the promises of God .

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is Lord ship salvation. Just like Catholics they believe they can work there way to heaven. If they do no works then they aren't Christian. Sounds like works for Salvation to me.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not hearing. The saved are eternally saved and as such do endure because God causes them to endure and is tbe one who solely does the saving and the keeping.

The saved know God through Christ. Those who are not yet saved do not as yet know God.

#129 37818, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we were not chosen for salvation through faith in the truth? I agree the "P" carries baggage not supported in scripture, but generally it refers to eternal security, once saved, always saved.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was all set to click the "agree" button but I was a little worried the unsaved "do not know God" might carry the meaning they cannot seek God and put their trust fully in Christ, which of course they have sufficient knowledge of God to do.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    chosen or elected is never to salvation..its always to service . No one is chosen ' to be ' saved later . Eternal security I believe is that a person is sealed by the Holy spirit until the day of redemption. This has no bearing on endurance or persevering in a sense of 'process ' .

13. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can be ' unsealed '

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, 2 Thessalonians says chosen for salvation, not service.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 For I, Jehovah, change not; therefore ye, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed. Mal 3

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and to-day, yea and for ever. Heb 13

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: John 17;3. 1 John 4:7. 2 Thessalonians 1:8.

17. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand the problem. Is Jesus not Lord? Is Jesus not Savior? Is Jesus going to fail on his promise when he says he will not leave us nor forsake us?

The elect are Israel. (Romans 9:6-8)
    But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but “Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.” This means that it is not the
    children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring.

What do you mean by this? Are you asking if I believe every child of God is a part of the Kingdom? If so, yes. Every child of God, whom God has chosen, is a part of the Kingdom.

I preach what Paul preached in 2 Corinthians 5:11-21.

Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience. We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Barry, it seems that you have bought into a hyperdispensationalism that has derailed you from understanding the work of grace throughout all of the Bible, from Adam to the return of Christ Jesus as King, who will rule over his Kingdom for eternity. It may be this hyperdispensationalism which acts as an obstacle to you seeing the whole of scripture. Consider seeing the scripture in light of the covenants God has established with his chosen people. It may help clear up the obvious discomfort you are experiencing.

18. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    13¶But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
    which beginning? when ? The answer if you read the whole letter .Its the 'beginning 'meaning , when Paul first preached the Gospel to them and they ' turned from idols ' ect . The beginning is not the beginning of creation or something strange like that. This is an unfortunately calvernist proof text which is never offered with any context. They need not worry because from the ' beginning ' they were chosen to be saved before the foundation of the world? no by sanctification and believing the truth . That's how they were saved . By believing the Gospel . Meaning the method of how God is dealing with Jews and Gentiles .

19. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think the diciples before Jesus went to the cross were preaching the Gospel as described in 1 cor 15 ??

20. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hyperdisp is believing that the new testament begins mid acts and such things as baptism is not for today. neither do I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.