1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where Is Free Will?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wish I could like this post twice.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

2. calledbyHisgrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants. And the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, neither would he let the children of Israel go; as the Lord had spoken by Moses. And the Lord said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him:" Exodus 9:34-10:1

• Like Like x 1
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what your example of judicial hardening is supposed to prove other than God's judgment came down on the Pharaoh for his willfulness to push against God. - wherein God would take it to next level and show him and all others the power of the All Mighty God.

#63 Benjamin, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free will is free will, just because the extreme determinists try to turn it into a straw man doesn't change what it is. When we get to make a choice between two options it is free will. In other words we are free to make once choice or the other. Call them on their dishonest straw man and deal with it. In reality what their use of the strawman means is that they are either ignorant or have no real argument so they resort to the junk we saw with whatshisface in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHAT???:Frown Say that again!:confused: No - just teasing.

God from the very beginning told His created beings and their begotten what He expected of them/us in worship, actions and relationships. Then, along came Lucifer! The battles in my life are ongoing, but the war is won due to the resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what "free will" is conveniently changes when dealing with most Calvinists. Most don't adhere to Calvin's views on what free will is.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This post is creepy and not connected to what DG posted at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    of course rm and all on here cannot produce the one verse that speaks of free will,lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes (but I prefer quoting from the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith):

1689 LBC 10.1 Those whom God hath predestinated unto life, he is pleased in his appointed, and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God; taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace.

The "most freely" part is made possible by the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration. IOW the Holy Spirit makes the mind capable of understanding the Gospel and then the person is able to "most freely" believe.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said he did not judge man,, so it is not flesh here but ones, or souls or after physical death anyway

#70 loDebar, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  11. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Choose you this day who he will serve

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    People have self will. They can make choices. That is not questioned by anyone. What is questioned is when Jesus describes men being bound in John 8....how is anyone free from the power and presence of sin.
    Furthermore....I. heaven we will not be free to sin...so...where is it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You miss the point. I don't know of many serious non-Calvinists who believe man has the power in himself to break the bondage to sin.

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point is then, that they are not "free" to love and serve God, are they?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they are hated because people see them as unfair or unjust.

Where is the biblical backing for holding that God draws all men (meaning every person) to Himself? You will not find that anywhere in Scripture.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way you talk I think you believe that every Calvinist who passionately defends Scripture are cage-stage Calvinists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, we most certainly can and have offered scriptural support for our position. We have no desire to "produce" any one verse upon which we hang our doctrine. Those who disagree with our position have the luxury of redefining words and contexts to fix the passage into their theological box.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes: Of course, those who are against you must be redefining words....and only have one verse to hang a doctrine on...good grief.

19. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A multitude of Scripture has been given in support of this biblical position. A simple search for key terms in this debate will give you all the biblical backing you need.

20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I have seen are verses taken out of context to support this idea. So please, show me something that actually asserts your position.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.